King Lear Productions : Reviews (1 Viewer)

skotgb

king lear: bondi

hey, next term my class is going to bondi for the king lear performance.... i've heard mixed things ..
is it good or bad..
how does it relate/differ to the original text?

Bleckers

HSC
N/A
Is that, that performance called Queen Lear (not gay queen) where they have reversed all the roles except for Edmund and somebody else (I think)?

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
no its at the bondi pavillion.. queen lere was at the cut theatre in newtown! um the one at the pavillion i thought was quite good, alot of ppl will disagree with me. whats different to the original text? the storm scene on the heath is replaced by a war scene and lear seems almost drink. its context is recent wars, it has news broadcasts as a voice over, you see the fool dying! there also seems to be a theme of alcoholism. . anyway i thought it was good, make ur own opinion on it .. u should get a question and answer time with the actors after wards make the most of that! hope u enjoy it xoxo

*Flutterby*

ok i went to that the day it opened. personally i fell asleep until the intermission and the second section was way better
edmund tried to slam it into regan on a table and she grabbed his dick its boring and repetitive and yeh but hey ppl may disagree with me. then again both our advanced classes fell asleep as well as our teacher nearly asleep so wat else can i say?

santaslayer

HSC
i liked the bondi production, except i dunno why wer're getting quite a number of bad reviews in this forum about he pavillions production!

this is a contempoary/postmodern production......sense of feeling for characters is greatly differentiated and emphasised i reckon

Stephels

i really wasn't impressed with the production at Bondi.... it was a bit too mixed and i thought King Lear was played as a weaker character... the play did nothing for me!

skotgb

thanks for your replies..

although they are mixed;
i'm not so bummed about going to what i thought would be a shitty performance
;)

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
REVIEW - production of king lear

I have to review one of the productions we have seen, either Queen Lere at Newtown's Cut Theatre or King Lear at the Bondi Pavillion. I am really lost as to wat to say . i have to use one of these and then review the production with relation to other famous productions. can anyone help?
thanks xoxo

dediho

HSC
the production at bondi was shit!! the actors did not noe how to act. their interpretation was not worth it. half of the things that were sed, could not b heard as the actors didnt project their voices. and their was a lot of 'backs' to the audience. it looks like a 5min job. i personally, along with a lot more of my class, missd most of the first half, b'coz we fel asleep, it was boring

Teoh

the production at bondi was shit!! the actors did not noe how to act. their interpretation was not worth it. half of the things that were sed, could not b heard as the actors didnt project their voices. and their was a lot of 'backs' to the audience. it looks like a 5min job. i personally, along with a lot more of my class, missd most of the first half, b'coz we fel asleep, it was boring
I'm sure mazza appreciates ur thoughful words, and help towards the problem at hand :mad1:

I guess it means u have to research other productions? Which would suck...seeing as how much work that would involve...
OR, maybe they're talking about against films? Which would be a lot easier?

U could talk about how different productions view different scenes...cause I've seen a lot of the films

The difference between the Eyre and Blessed productions were pretty big...such as:

Blessed concentrated on the sexual chemistry between Gonerill, Reagan and Edmond, and played on the fact that the two sisters were battling for his effection.
And also, the storm scene in the Blessed production was really about Lear just losing his mind, as in teh Eyre one, where it dealt with Lear cursing the Gods for his fate...(I think? :rolleyes: )

But...I could just be wrong:)

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
THIS IS ME QUOTING MYSELF ON KING LEAR AT BONDI FROM ANOTHER THREAD

i loved the bondi production i thought it was really good -- prolly cause we were the only people in the audience and i had a great nite out wit friends and it was just a really good nite! we got to talk to the actors afterwards and they gave us some tips in interpreting the production ..
I wrote a review on this production last week of term and so i mentioned some of the negatives i thought about the production
- firstly characterisation .. none of the characters were developed as i wouldve liked, as i thought was necessary now i dont know whether this was intentional or not. i mean perhaps the director wanted to convey that none of the characters were purely evil or simply good that they all had different shades -that nothing is as simple and perhaps she was trying for a more realistic production ... at the start i had sympathy for goneril and regan but by the end i wanted to kill them ... lol i loved them being dragged onto the stage that was funny :p. if she wasnt trying to imply this then i can only explain it on bad acting
- also another thing that i didnt think was developed well enough was the issue/theme of alcoholism! i was so excited when this was introduced i thought it was such a clever and interesting concept but they didnt develop it enough and i became confused whether the characters were descending into madness or whether they were ranting like a drunk.
- Also particular scenes were not as strong as they shouldve been .. the storm scene was pitiful! such a bathos climax!! it is suppose to be one of the stronegst scenes of the play yet i felt this scene was not emphasised to the extent it deserved and also i was genuinely convinced that king lear was drunk in this scene.
contrasting this though i thought the opening scene was dealt with brillantly.. i thought having the division of the kingdom so public emphasised lears pride. also i commend the relationship established between audience and actors .. it was a very personal production and i loved king lear when he went all crazy with the hesain bag and the flowers .. he gave one to my friend aww i just wanted to hug him!!! i thought this closeness was great and i much preferred this to queen leres production where we were segregated from the action.
at the end of king lear the audience is suppose to feel a sense that the kingdom is redeemed that the characters left are noble and sensible, and that they have witnessed such times that they will ensure nothing like this could ever repeat. at the conclusion of this production we were left wit a suicidal kent, a drunkard in edgar (the introduction of edgar was with an empty alcohol bottle.. this immediately questioned his ability to run a kingdom in the end) and albany --- the worst actor in the world.. it was a pitiful conclusion and i truly believe that not one of these characters, in this production had the nobility to rule a kingdom and i dont think they deserved to!
after saying all that i did honestly enjoy the production though and there are many good points i think:
i thought the chemistry between goneril/regan and edmund was established early and i think this is important.. in other productions it seems like this random occurence but in here it was developed from the start. also it seemed that there was no tension between this family - everyone seemed pretty close .. there did not seem to be any noticeable favourtism to cordelia, i think lear treated all the daughters the same. i think that there was no tension until there was a need for tension and this was introduced with the desire for edmund which may of been just another chance of competition between the sisters and also the desire for power! all the characters were meglomaniacs and i thought this was brillant.. wat power can do to a person and i think power was a subtle but important theme especially in this production. gloucesters journey was really well conveyed, more so than lears which is disappointing because lear is suppose to be the focus. .. there were heaps of other things i loved about this production but i think they will fall wasted on ears.. because i dont think anyone else enjoyed this production. Anyway i did like it and i thought it was, to an extent, effectively performed.

Queen lere i also enjoyed and i cant compare the productions themselves, they were completely different and individual but i didnt see queen lere on the best day so i really couldnt wait to get out of the cut theatre.. it was boiling hot and it was sooo crammed and humid that really i couldnt wait till it was over! otherwise the production was good!

THIS IS ME QUOTING MYSELF FROM ANOTHER THREAD WITH MY OPINION ON QUEEN LERE

queen lere was interesting although i dont think it successfully identified what it intended to - it was suppose to be a feminist production but all they did was switch the gender roles the interesting thing about this is that the characters were more or less the same as in any other king lear production - they experienced the same things and responded the same ways. so the only difference in this production was how u interpreted it and i think it was interesting because lere played as a woman gained a lot more sympathy i think because women are suppose to be nuturing characters! but she was played as a greedy ignorant woman but still because of her gender i gave her sympathy. gloucester was an old woman and i felt sooo sorry for her .. she was so gulliable and on the clifftop scene i thought she wasgonna fall and im like "NOOOO NOT THE OLD LADY" she was soo adorable and i truly felt sorry for her, prolyl just because of her age and gender. the men in the production -- the "sons" of lere were shown as submissive -- overall i think the production was great.. nothing more was needed, i think the gender swapping was enough. except yeah it wasnt seen to me as a feminist production more as it relied on the audience for individual interpretation based on their own opinions and stereotypes on gender and the like. the production set up was brillant! there was a back projection which was extremely effective and which showed the context of each scene and also the storm scene and the descent of queen lere into insanity! the storm scene was fabulous!!!! a net was lowered from above and lere was trapped inside and yeah it was one of the most effective storm scenes ive viewed! also a mention must go to edmund -- she was actually a woman and her name was different but she was soo convincing and having a woman play this part you can really see the conniving side of women .. she was sooo good!!
overall it was a great play.. if its still running and u get time go and see it!!! i really recommend it!

Last edited:

ozicracker

I really thought that that performance was terrible and it wasn't very clear on how it presented itself. But that's just me.

ben folds

I saw the bondi pavilion production and it was shocking! i went the first night with two friends, and it was terrible. the interpretation was just wrong, and it was so badly acted! are we all talking abou the production where edmund was wearing leather pants?!

beckxoxo

Act 5.

Hi guys! I've just been told we're having an assesment concentrating on Act 5 of King Lear and different productions performances of these scenes. Our school saw the bondi play and Queen Lere. just wondering if anyone has any helpful thoughts/memories/ideas on this act... i've got to admit that i had lost interest by the end so hardly remember a thing! we're also allowed to take in one A4 sheet of notes. any suggestions? thankyou x o:)

daodao

HSC
hey would anyone have any info. on the queen lere play, as in address, telephone no., times etc.?

daodao
:)

kochou

Originally posted by general_apathy
I saw the bondi pavilion production and it was shocking! i went the first night with two friends, and it was terrible. the interpretation was just wrong, and it was so badly acted! are we all talking abou the production where edmund was wearing leather pants?!

haha...it was pretty bizarre but at least i understood what was going on...most the time anyway....the guy who played albany was really bad tho!!

Capt'n Crunch

hey, yeah we saw the bondi production and most of us thought that it wasnt well delivered at all! I really found it hard to concentrate during the mid-sections of the play and the conclusion was pretty dissapointing. Also, there was something going on with one of the actors and this guy in the audience, like he gave him a flower and called him 'honey' and he was wearing tight leather pants??? hmmm sounds suss to me....

lizard_abc

i've gotta say, i really disagree with some of you... i though the bondi production was much more successful than Queen Lere...

Megan Finlay claimed that Queen Lere was a "radical... feminist interpretation" - radical it was, but feminist? if you look at what the purpose of a feminist interpretation is, it is to "celebrate and revalue the roles of women".... fair enough, some of the audience responses to characters were changed by the swapped-genders (e.g. role of mother, femininity, mother-son relationships, etc.) but i found that i didn't feel that great about being female after seeing the sly deception that thasia (edmond) especially undertook... this production, instead of being set in a patriarchal society with women being downtrodden etc., was set in a matriarchal society which did exactly the same thing to men. Personally, i don't see this as having revalued and celebrated the roles of women....

i thought the bondi production raised really interesting issues and there were great links made to contemporary society which was effective as the audience instinctively understood the themes/issues... e.g. the use of civil war/anarchy as a metaphor for chaos instead of the storm --> modern interpretation to reach modern audience rather than jacobean (modern audience does not have instinctive understanding of the Chain of Being which explains the storm), press conference for 'Love Auction' --> modern audience understands falsities/fakeness associated with press + statements...

ok.... over it now... might come back, say more later

p.s. bec, i've got no idea what to do about the whole eng. assessment thing!!!! EEEKK!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)