King Lear.... (1 Viewer)

Krystle

Hey u!
Was wondering if u could tell me if we r suppose to know certain SCENES of other presentations, or just the general stuff...? Thanks!
xOxOx

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
scenes! u have to be able to refer to scenes, and quotes as well! as well as the general stuff, and explain the general stuff in depth

Huy

HSC
N/A
1. interpretations, readings
2. values
3. key scenes, quotes/lines
4. themes, symbolism/imagery.

Krystle

Now I'm even more confused! Like should I know say 2 scenes (first scene and storm scene) and talk bout how they r different and similar? or should i just no the general stuff of each presentation, like the general techniques, etc?

Huy

HSC
N/A
Use the scenes to backup what you're saying, they are examples from the text and/or production that you have seen which support what you're saying.

E.g. Cut theatre uses multimedia and use of shadowing/light to ... this is highlighted in Gloucester/cliffs of Dover scene, the imagery of the burning house, and so on to show the destruction of the family, a family interpretation/reading can be extrapolated from this... etc

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
scenes! for e.g. if you are doing power as your interpretation for one, and madness for the other, use the scenes and show how these scenes convey power and madness.

e.g.
interpretations:
1 = power
2 = madness

Act1Scene1
1 downfall of power is shown because lear takes his crown off, he talks in a quiet voice etc.
2 in this prod., madness is shown because lear begins to shout and scream
(that's not necessarily right, it's an e.g. i just pulled from the air)

stuff like that
compare the way the same scene has been acted out / staged to convey the particular interpretation

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Huy
Use the scenes to backup what you're saying, they are examples from the text and/or production that you have seen which support what you're saying.

E.g. Cut theatre uses multimedia and use of shadowing/light to ... this is highlighted in Gloucester/cliffs of Dover scene, the imagery of the burning house, and so on to show the destruction of the family, a family interpretation/reading can be extrapolated from this... etc
hmm.. i think we are sort of contradicting each other here! but i think you can do it either way?? i'm not sure.

huy - would you use the same scene for each interpretation, or different scenes just to back up points?

Last edited:

Krystle

Oh k... so I do have to know scenes... (u may be able to tell, I'm going thru my fret stage!)... and mainly talk about them.
What presentations do u do? I do Peter Brook and Cut Theatre (Megan Finlay)... if u have any notes on these, i would love to c them if u dont mind... but u dont have to show me.
Also, Im new to this (this is my first time on here) and every time I recieve a new "post" or "thread" (i dont know what they're called!), i recieve an email... is there an easier way to do it??
Thankyou so much for all this help...

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
besically, yes know scenes!

yeah, brook and cut theatre will be fine. i don't have notes on either of them.

the e mails come up whenever someone posts a reply to this thread (the topic you started). do you not want the e mails to come up when someone posts here?
if you want to cancel that you have to go to the top corner and click on 'user cp' and then it will say "subscribed threads" and then click on unsubscribe, next to the thread name

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by iambored
huy - would you use the same scene for each interpretation, of different scenes just to bck up points?
it depends on the production itself. certain scenes from various productions over the years highlight different values and such values are connected to other readings and they are always open to new interpretations.

if we were strictly talking about the shakespeare text, solely, then i would use different scenes again (that is just my style of writing) to reinforce other values, themes, or key ideas, highlighted in the same text (king lear, the original script, not a production/appropriation).

krystle: you can turn off email notification which prevents BOS from sending you an email everytime someone has responded to your post. you can also "unsubscribe" to a thread that you have participated in, to prevent any other new emails from arriving. this can all be completed in your user control panel or user cp - located in the top right hand corner of the page. (it is next to 'register').

i'm using cut theatre (megan finlay, 2003 cast & production of lear) and the miller production (johnathon miller's bbc production of king lear).

/edit
I have notes on brook/cut-theatre and miller, but i dont own a scanner, and i dont have the time to type them all up.

visit www.cuttheatre.com.au as there is a FAQ section there, which would be useful.

check out the main page, www.boredofstudies.org
left hand side, english (advanced) and you can click on Module B - Critical study of texts, to find more notes on king lear. :)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Huy
it depends on the production itself. certain scenes from various productions over the years highlight different values and such values are connected to other readings and they are always open to new interpretations.

if we were strictly talking about the shakespeare text, solely, then i would use different scenes again (that is just my style of writing) to reinforce other values, themes, or key ideas, highlighted in the same text (king lear, the original script, not a production/appropriation).
hmm, ok see i was going to compare like 2 or 3 scenes in each to show how they were different to convey their interpretation, and maybe just refer to a few random scenes, depending on how much time i have

Krystle

How do i turn off email notification? I still want to talk to u guys, u r both so smart... :)
this mite sound dumb but wot is the difference between themes and values? cos ive always talked bout themes wen the question asked about values and ive always done well...

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
how it was explained to us: (with us finding it very hard to understand!)

values - what is valued, what the society values, what is considered 'high' or important. e.g in emma, marriage is valued by the society

themes - are more like messages which the book wants to bring across, although in the study guides it will say that many of the values are also themes (e.g. it probably says that marriage is a theme)

it's hard to tell the difference between the 2. i tend to think of values as things which are valued, and themes as topics which are discussed

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Krystle
How do i turn off email notification?
user cp
edit options
use 'email notification' by default -> no

go back to 'my vb home' (first tab from the left)
unsubscribe to any forums or threads

that should be it.

I still want to talk to u guys, u r both so smart... :)

wot is the difference between themes and values? cos ive always talked bout themes wen the question asked about values and ive always done well...
value - something society holds in high esteem
theme - could be anything!

that's what they are in a nutshell.
they are very similar, you're right, so the marker might have given you marks when you talked about the theme of _____ because it is through the theme of ______ that it highlights values espoused such as "this and that".

for example the theme of justice
it can highlight the value of family, sanity, etc.

talking about the theme, you could then 'hint' or even make implicit the values of ______, but if the question asks about values shown through production(s) of king lear, then you need to make it explicit (clear/obvious).

ask your teacher to explain it further, if you're having trouble,
you might also want to have a look at textual integrity, because the rubrik asks students to 'extrapolate questions of textual integrity' and to consider king lear (critical study of ...) and its 'reception in a range of contexts'. :)

/edit
i tend to think of values as things which are valued, and themes as topics which are discussed
just adding onto this, from a guy's (or my) own words...for simplicity:

values: things that people like/hold in high regard
themes: things that we should take from the text/consider

we can value the family, but we might not value the theme of insanity,

from the theme of insanity, we can 'reverse' the theme and take a value out of it, 'sanity' or something to do with perception and wisdom.

they are similar, i'll give you that much :)

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Huy
for example the theme of justice
it can highlight the value of family, sanity, etc.
i agree, but justice could also be a value. because possibly the society values justice (

basically, they are very close

Krystle

so wot woud b values of blindness, madness, order and chaos, justice??????
yeah my teacher spoke to us about textual integrity, she said its enough to just chuck it in sumwhere that it hasnt lost textual integrity or sumthing like that, and also to put sumthing in bout a historical view (eg. feminist)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i don't see blindness as a value, although you could do the reverse and say that sight or insight is valued

the same with madness

i suppose order is valued? and chaos isn't, becuase it is when something unfavorable happens (e.g. lear divides the kingdom) that chaos breaks out

Huy

HSC
N/A
we don't value blindness, madness or chaos.

values would be, out of the 5 given, order and justice.
(however, they are also 'potential/possible' themes).

feminist would be closely linked to a crique of power or power reading, where the feminist intepretation/reading comes through, through the various scenes between goneril/regan.

it depends on the production you've seen and how it has been staged/directed.

/edit
yes, iambored is one step ahead of me once again with the quick posts :)

you can always 'reverse' a "bad" theme into a "good" value. lol ;)

if you were talking about order/chaos, then you'd have to be talkin about an aristolean reading of king lear (this is dependent upon the production, aformentioned).

:)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Huy
/edit
yes, iambored is one step ahead of me once again with the quick posts :)

sorry dude, i just keep refreshing the new posts page, and there isn't much being posted in non school!

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by iambored
sorry dude, i just keep refreshing the new posts page, and there isn't much being posted in non school!
that's okay!!

i was just noticing how im always slower than you, but maybe it's because i crap on too much instead of being succinct as you are.

i was busy writing/typing up an email too :)

...excuses excuses :D :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)