Knighthoods reintroduced to Australia (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...f-honours-system/story-fn59niix-1226864499560

KNIGHTS and dames are being reintroduced to the Order of Australia honours list.

Tony Abbott said the first two to receive the titles would be outgoing Governor-General Quentin Bryce and her successor Peter Cosgrove, who takes up the vice-regal office on Friday.

Up to four knights or dames will be appointed each year.

“My intention is that this new award will go to those who have accepted public office rather than sought it; and who can never, by virtue of the office they have held, entirely return to private life,’’ the Prime Minister said.

“This special recognition may be extended to Australians of `extraordinary and pre-eminent achievement and merit’ in their service to Australia or to humanity at large.

“I believe this is an important grace note in our national life.’’

Henceforth, Mr Abbott said, the serving governor-general will be the principal knight or dame in the Order of Australia.

Mr Abbott said Dame Quentin and Sir Peter had been happy to accept the honours.

He said all future governors-general would receive the honour, adding dignity and stature to it.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
let's jsut hoep it isn't used for elite athletes who get upset over being called names by female children

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Arise Dame Gina Rinehart
Arise Sir Andrew Bolt
Arise Sir Rupert Murdoch (yes I know he isn't strayan anymore)

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Arise Dame Gina Rinehart
Arise Sir Andrew Bolt
Murdoch could have his citizenship back for all we know. After 2009 citizens who lost their nationality can apply for resumption of citizenship.

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
stop the liberal's cuttin from uni's! fucken abbott and his gonsky!

I rebel therefore I am!

ohitsme

HSC
fuck, thats awesome, only if they incorporate sword fights and medieval era battles.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
stop the liberal's cuttin from uni's! fucken abbott and his gonsky!

I rebel therefore I am!
today at uni i saw two adjacent marxist posters

one was about protesting the cuts, and included in their demands was 'academic freedom'

the other was about how sophie mirabella was recently made a public policy fellow at the unviersity and because she is a nasty racist liberal [whatever] that she quite literally needs to be chased off of campus

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
To be honest, if used properly I don't see a problem with this.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Arise Dame Gina Rinehart
Arise Sir Andrew Bolt
Make Bolt president when we become a republic.

Anna Wintour

HSC
N/A
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...f-honours-system/story-fn59niix-1226864499560

KNIGHTS and dames are being reintroduced to the Order of Australia honours list.

Tony Abbott said the first two to receive the titles would be outgoing Governor-General Quentin Bryce and her successor Peter Cosgrove, who takes up the vice-regal office on Friday.

Up to four knights or dames will be appointed each year.

“My intention is that this new award will go to those who have accepted public office rather than sought it; and who can never, by virtue of the office they have held, entirely return to private life,’’ the Prime Minister said.

“This special recognition may be extended to Australians of `extraordinary and pre-eminent achievement and merit’ in their service to Australia or to humanity at large.

“I believe this is an important grace note in our national life.’’

Henceforth, Mr Abbott said, the serving governor-general will be the principal knight or dame in the Order of Australia.

Mr Abbott said Dame Quentin and Sir Peter had been happy to accept the honours.

He said all future governors-general would receive the honour, adding dignity and stature to it.
how much do i have to donate to the liberal party to get a knighthood

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...malcolm-turnbull/story-fn59niix-1227535482359

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull is reportedly set to banish knights and dames from Australia’s honours system.

Former PM Tony Abbott controversially reintroduced the titles in early 2014, some 30 years after they were first abolished in 1984.

But The Sunday Telegraph reports Mr Turnbull, a former head of the republican movement, will scrap the archaic resurrection of knights and dames in a bid to reset the awards system.

It’s suggested he’ll take the decision to cabinet, which will back him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)