kubla khan (1 Viewer)

elmostar

hello
can anyone tell me anything about colleridge's poem "kubla khan" and how it relates to an imaginative journey. its an english emergency , please help..

KarmaKitten

HSC
doesnt it explore the power of the imagination?
i think kubla khan is supposed to represent his mind and the endless possibilies of the mind

Angela86

well, here's what I have come up with for my english assignment

Kubla Khan V Themes/ideas

My readings
X Creative imagination and the difficulty of sustaining imaginative thoughts
X The idea that imagination is impermanent

Possible readings
X Coleridge and how he has to come to terms with who he is and his limits in the world
X Metaphor for life
X Metaphor for love

Language of the imagination

X Extended metaphor V Kubla Kahns story is used as a metaphor for the imagination and the limitations of the imagination
X Imagery Eg: A savage place! As holy and enchanted creates a picture in our mind of a dark, mystical and spiritual place.
X Similies and Personification Eg: Huge fragments vaulted like rebounding hail this compared the water to hail and emphasizes the size of the water and the force at which the water is coming out of the fountain.
X Repetition and punctuation Eg: And all who heard should see them there, And all should cry, Beware! Beware! The repetition, Capital letters on Beware and use of the punctuation mark all combine to create a strong tone, a concerned/frightened tone.

Cicciolina

HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
Isn't Kubla Khan the one that STC apparently write on an opium trip???
That's the one!
I like it, it's one of my favourite ones I've studied from him.

fuckfoot

has no soul
HSC
Originally posted by ZoDiAc KnIgHt
Can i use this as a supp text?
my core text is Tempest
nah, you can't it's a prescribed text so it's a big no, no even if you're studying a different one

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
You can use it as a supp text, but then again you're not actually expanding your journey knowledge and you're not exactly doing 'independent' research now are you? :p

Apparently Coleridge wrote all his poems whilst on Opium. Pretty interesting, if you ask me!

emmo

its amazing how a guy can write a piece of poetry that we are now using for our HSC when he was on an opium trip...its a great imaginative journey... wonder if he knew what he was writing...... :s

emmo

This poem is an imaginative journey as it explores the fragmented dreamscape of coleridge. Within the text the audience is exposed to an elevated use of language and exotic imagery from another world.
The text also shows us that there are no limits to an imagintive journey. It can also descibed as coleridges attempt to display the supernatural as real.
Coleridge's dreamscape takes the audience through the romantic and imaginative journeys. The effect of this journey to the reader is enriching.

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
enriching? thats a lame effect description....Ive heard if you try and use "it has a certain effect on audience" as a justification for a technique, you get ripped apart by the markers.

emmo

well my teacher is a HSC marker and thats the description she gave us... i'm just trying to help some people... no need to get fiesty

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
yeah but quite a lot of teachers are hsc markers..it doesnt make that much difference. some of my best teachers arent hsc markers and they are so helpful.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
so wot would u recommend as an approprate effect instead of "enriching" then?

= Jennifer =

HSC
just as a matter of interest for anyone studying this poem in the Sydney Morning Herald January 23rd 2004, news section page 5 article entitled: "problem to solve? easy just sleep on it" by Amanda Dunn mentions this poem you are discussing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)