Kyoto Protocol (1 Viewer)

Well, it seems the Kyoto Protocol is once again in the news with the Russians deciding to fast-track ratification of it (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8595). Rarely a bad word is ever spoken about the protocol, but I've recently come across some facts that are quite enlightening and thought provoking:

Stretching across Asia, from nearly Japan to the east, across China, and across India, almost to Afghanistan to the west, is a huge brown cloud of pollution visible from space.

It is called the Asian Brown Cloud.

It is made of

FECES

See, in that part of the world, people burn SHIT as fuel.

Now, the Kyoto Protocols are interesting for a split second, because they say a bunch of crap about the West this and the West that and industrial this and blah blah blah.

You know what they don't say?

They don't say that Asia should be required to clean up its SHIT that is VISIBLE FROM SPACE.

So fuck that stupidass anti-Western bullshit. ASIA is THE WORLD'S BIGGEST POLLUTER BY A MILE.

http://earthtrends.wri.org/pdf_library/data_tables/cli3_2003.pdf

There's a list of which shows how many metric tons of greenhouse gases each country produces by fuel source. Now, the US is categorically the largest emitter of every measurable greenhouse gas. Now, of course, this list doesn't include the

HUGE CLOUD OF SHIT VISIBLE FROM SPACE

Anyway, that trend will change rather quickly, as the States has FAR more constraints on population growth. And hey, GUESS WHO DIDN'T SIGN KYOTO?

The second largest emitter. Yet all we hear is George Bush this, the West that.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
@ that article

Russia's announcement that it would fast-track ratification of the Kyoto Protocol should encourage Australia to do the same, the Australian Democrats said.

"John Howard is simply following the line of George Bush rather than looking at what is in Australia's best interests,"

So basically, your telling me that instead we should follow the line of Russia instead of George Bush? Right on comrade! Just for you Mr Writer Sir, ill put the rest of your next comment in red.

Oh and we never really seem to think that just perhaps Mr. Howard is doing whats in the best interest of our country, and the US are incidentally doing the same thing..

"We cannot continue to engage with the rest of the world diplomatically and economically through the prism of the US administration's agenda."

see above, and besides we seem to be doing rather well on both counts imo.

Canberra has so far refused to ratify the protocol, despite pressure from groups such as the Western Australian Farmers' Federation.

OMFG...is that THE Western Australian Farmers' Federation?!?!?!

Democrats leader Andrew Bartlett said Prime Minister John Howard's continuing refusal to adopt the protocol would damage Australia's economy as well as its environment.

Yes, if we don't ratify it, our factories will stay open and thus destroy our economy..I want some of the stuff he's on :)

Also, by ratifying it, we won't actually be reducing damage to the environment on a large scale. While Australia per capita produces the largest (or one of the largest) amounts of greenhouse gasses in the world. We still have a population of only 20 million, while other countries who havent ratified the agreement such as China have 1/3 of the worlds population - and as such are doing much more damage :p

Last edited:
Yes, if we don't ratify it, our factories will stay open and thus destroy our economy..I want some of the stuff he's on :)
Yeah, and I always thought that the greenies had the best pot. I mean, Bob Brown? C'mon!

santaslayer

HSC
The comment about Asia being the world's biggest pollutor is close to the truth. :p It's just that Western society pollutes more overtly which attracts criticism. :p

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Take one look at China or several other countries of Asia (not all mind) and you'll know just how right SantaSlayer is.
Still, the biggest offender would have to be America, who pulled out of the Kyoto protocol and relies on the honesty of their companies.
Still, Australia needs to pull up our end a bit, especially with the whole problem of trying to find somewhere to dump Sydney's garbage because the places that produce it don't want it and noone else will take it...

And finally, people could do the three r's a few more times.

Originally posted by Enlightened_One
Still, the biggest offender would have to be America, who pulled out of the Kyoto protocol and relies on the honesty of their companies.
NOT TRUE. I thought I pointed that out above.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Carbon dioxide is invisible.....

btw, buring shit isn't so bad... What else are you to do with piles of shit? It is a good source of fuel.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Its also a good fertiliser which doesnt involve burning it. Although in NSW it is illegal to sell the processed waste from used water treatment plants (not that it worries Sydney since they just put it in the Ocean).

joshhopp

HSC
The United States are a nation which did not subscribe to the protocol, although it should be noted that many other heavily industrialised nations did not either. The argument against the US is strong nonetheless; their industry surpasses all others by far. I believe it rightly exemplifies the republican's "To heck with the rest of the world" attitude. Do I condemn this stance? Yes, although I understand that it must be close to impossible to try to convince a nation's industry (one which has just emerged from a crippling recession) to compromise its output.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Xayma
Its also a good fertiliser which doesnt involve burning it. Although in NSW it is illegal to sell the processed waste from used water treatment plants (not that it worries Sydney since they just put it in the Ocean).

I tell you, there is PLENTY of shit remaining after the crops are fertilised, lol

China has 1.2 billion ppl and lots of animals

Originally posted by joshhopp
The United States are a nation which did not subscribe to the protocol, although it should be noted that many other heavily industrialised nations did not either. The argument against the US is strong nonetheless; their industry surpasses all others by far. I believe it rightly exemplifies the republican's "To heck with the rest of the world" attitude. Do I condemn this stance? Yes, although I understand that it must be close to impossible to try to convince a nation's industry (one which has just emerged from a crippling recession) to compromise its output.

Fuck condemning the west. Let's talk about the cloud of shit.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Originally posted by George W. Bush
Fuck condemning the west. Let's talk about the cloud of shit.
i hear it smells in China

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Let's talk about the cloud of shit.
let's talk about the cloud of shit. apart from telling us that it can be seen from space, what else should we know? does it damage the environment? poison trees? destroy the ozone? or is it simply an eyesore?

Originally posted by jm1234567890
meh...

What do you want done about it... this has nothing to do with the kyoto protocal....
Dear jm1234567890,

What is the purpose of the Kyoto Protocol?
To address climate change.
What is causing climate change?
The cloud of shit.
What are we doing about the cloud of shit?
Nothing.
What are we doing instead?
Criticising the West.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
It's pollution. Obv. It is fucking the climate.

For more information, consult a report such as :
http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiapcf/south/08/12/asia.haze/
cloud of shit seems to be a very alarmist term. 'cow dung' is mentioned only briefly in the article. it describes it as a 'cocktail of aerosols, ash, soot and other particles' caused by ' "Biomass burning" from forest fires, vegetation clearing and fossil fuel'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)