Labor vs Liberals. whats the big differences? (1 Viewer)

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
It's true, <$8000 p/a for a degree is good. I just think it should be no more than, say, $500.
here's how to do that: be smart enough to get awarded a full scholarship.

Lorie

HSC
I don't know what everyone is on about with uni costs, the liberal party removed student union fees. At the same time allowing the unis to increase fees by 25%, thanks Brendan Nelson. Your really taking a load of us students.

Union fees - $250 a semester
25% of tutition fees - $1000

Costello and I assume Howard believe the expansion of broadband will be put up by private industry. Well i'm sure companies will be more than happy to outlay costs to fund broadband in the bush, where it is so highly profitable, without any government assitance, give me a bucket.That seems to be the only response the liberals have had to Rudds broadband policy.

Immirgration is a joke for the governement. The current immirgration idea stinks of white Australia all over again. Having to make potential Australian citizens do a stupid test is just a politcal stunt.

But some other social issues such as Aborginal affairs and homosexal marriage have been avioded by both sides. Which just shows how politically unpopular and conservative this country still is.

jb_nc

Google &quot;9-11&quot; and &quot;truth&quot;
HSC
N/A
But some other social issues such as Aborginal affairs and homosexal marriage have been avioded by both sides. Which just shows how politically unpopular and conservative this country still is.
Uh, wtf. The coalition has done a lot for Aboriginal affairs... did you see the front page of the Australian yesterday or Lateline Thursday evening? They are helping Aborigines buy their own home by giving them rent subsidised accommodation and then subsidised loans.

Don't give me that shit.

Immirgration is a joke for the governement. The current immirgration idea stinks of white Australia all over again. Having to make potential Australian citizens do a stupid test is just a politcal stunt.
HMM YES WHITE AUSTRALIA LOL have you seen the current immigration statistics? While I'm sure you'd like to say "John Howald is a lacist, ror", more and more immigrants from Asia and other places have come to Australia. I'm sure if you said refugee policy or whatever that would have made more sense.

Costello and I assume Howard believe the expansion of broadband will be put up by private industry. Well i'm sure companies will be more than happy to outlay costs to fund broadband in the bush, where it is so highly profitable, without any government assitance, give me a bucket.That seems to be the only response the liberals have had to Rudds broadband policy.
The market needs to decide. It's a massive waste of public money to set up a wholly government owned infrastructure. Deregulate the market more and offer better subsidies and they will build.

I don't know what everyone is on about with uni costs, the liberal party removed student union fees. At the same time allowing the unis to increase fees by 25%, thanks Brendan Nelson. Your really taking a load of us students.

Union fees - $250 a semester
25% of tutition fees - $1000
You had to pay those fees upfront but you can defer university fees until you earn money. Not to mention the government will contribute 20%/15% if you pay upfront or pay in a lump sum afterwards.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Copper was viable until mobile phone networks were set up. But there is no guarentee that the technology will be unsurpassed by the time they are finished building the infrastructure.

Lorie

HSC
politik said:
Please take a first-year economics course and then get back to this thread. HECS is indexed every year, and would continue to be under a Labor government also. So don't peddle this bullshit, because it's well refuted.

I'm not referring to the indexing. I am talking about the fees which can be either paid up front or indexed. The HOward governement allowed the universities to increase the fees by 25%. Which affects students paying up front and students who will have a HECS debt.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Lorie said:
I'm not referring to the indexing. I am talking about the fees which can be either paid up front or indexed. The HOward governement allowed the universities to increase the fees by 25%. Which affects students paying up front and students who will have a HECS debt.
Yeah, and? The extra earning potential you gain by having the degree outstrips the cost of getting it by 10000x anyway, so why should society be paying to subsidise it?

Lorie

HSC
withoutaface said:
Yeah, and? The extra earning potential you gain by having the degree outstrips the cost of getting it by 10000x anyway, so why should society be paying to subsidise it?

Because education should be a right for everyone, just those who can afford it. At least with the student union fees that funded things to make univeristy cheaper.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Because education should be a right for everyone, just those who can afford it.
I agree, but should university education necessarily be a right for everyone? I would argue anyone can really learn what we learn at university, through their public library etc. What people are paying for is their degree so that people can KNOW they have knowledge, not the specific knowledge its self...

imo anyway.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Because education should be a right for everyone, just those who can afford it. At least with the student union fees that funded things to make univeristy cheaper.
I'll take an MBBS, LLB and why not have a BCom while I'm at it. It's my right.

---

Don't EVER vote for Labor

You run the risk of the candidate you THOUGHT would represent you, being replaced completely UNDEMOCRATICALLY with some UNION HACK no one has EVER voted for

DON'T RISK LABOR IN YOUR SEAT

Lorie

HSC
I found that the 2nd hand bookshop that was here before VSU saved so much money for students. But I don't wanna start a VSU debate. It defers from uni to uni and is long gone.

But the increased costs in uni fees, despite the advantage of hecs, is just another sign that education is slowly becoming a want not a need. I haven't really seen an approach for either party providing a reasonable solution for young people to better educate themselves and the univeristies are slowly taking in more international students at higher fees.

Yes by using hecs it deters the cost till later in life, but it is still a loan. Students who live in rural areas and come from low income areas would still find this a scary prospect. Look at countries such as Norway, Sweden and Denmark who have high standard of living in the education areas in particular. This is largely due to the fact that education is free. By subjecting terity education to a pure market type trend (where only those who can afford will attend) this will further increase the divisions in our country between the educated and uneducated, which reflects in so many other parts of society.

Education should be a right. It's a basic human right. Thinking any thing different is just primal. Allowing anyone to better their education should be option, regardless of socio-economic postion in our country.

T_M_K

HSC
sure, university should be obtainable to those without much money.

But realistically, could you imagine the rapid jump for uni places if fees were cut to $1000 or less.

The increased demand for uni places would put upward pressure on the UAI for respective courses and lower the quality of Australia's educational sector. Which incidentally is Australia's 2nd largest service export.

So what would you rather, lower uni fees or impossible UAI requirements for popular courses?

Lorie

HSC
T_M_K said:
sure, university should be obtainable to those without much money.

But realistically, could you imagine the rapid jump for uni places if fees were cut to $1000 or less.

The increased demand for uni places would put upward pressure on the UAI for respective courses and lower the quality of Australia's educational sector. Which incidentally is Australia's 2nd largest service export.

So what would you rather, lower uni fees or impossible UAI requirements for popular courses?

Gezz that would mean that those who got in to univeristy deserved it, not just afforded it.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I don't think money should be used to keep people out of 'popular courses' (except where it's possible for profits to be made which allow more total students to do said course). Lorie, what are your thoughts on what I said before... Basically education is a right, but people don't necessarily go to university for an education any more, they go to get a job.

Lorie

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
ILorie, what are your thoughts on what I said before... Basically education is a right, but people don't necessarily go to university for an education any more, they go to get a job.

Yeah I see and I guess putting it simply thats what happens in most cases with peoples studies. Go to uni get a degree, get a job related to the degree. But what I'm saying is everyone should have to opportunity to get to uni/tafe/school whatever to get what ever they want outta it.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
The difference is Labor will screw it up like they always do. We really cannot afford another Labor government, especially our economy.

Lorie

HSC
bshoc said:
The difference is Labor will screw it up like they always do. We really cannot afford another Labor government, especially our economy.

Why is all the liberal campaigns scare tactics?

I suppose if I vote Labor interest rates will rise, terrorists will invade my house and throw my kids overboard with their WMDs, and commies will take over cause theres a red under every bed.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Bullshit, as if people go "ooooooooo my degree is going to cost $28 grand, can't do it". My parents are not going to pay a cent of mine, it's all deferred onto HECS and I'm going to pay it off when I start working.

Did you even consider the cost when you did you UAC application? I know I didn't.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Oi Serius, what happened to "fuck the government man, letz throw matches in ballet boxes"?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)