• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Labor's Future (2 Viewers)

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Beazley sucks, Labor sucks- they better come out with a good god damn fucken leader, otherwise lil Johnny will win it easy again.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Sercombe steps aside for Shorten

The Age Online - Sercombe steps aside for Shorten
February 28, 2006 - 11:51AM

Labor frontbencher Bob Sercombe today pulled out of the race for preselection for his safe federal seat of Maribyrnong - opening the door for union leader Bill Shorten.

Mr Sercombe, who was one of a number of Labor Victorians fighting for political survival, blamed his decision on sleazy deals, which had made his position untenable.

[continued - see link]
---

Shorten speaks!

Shorten win sign of ALP's 'new generation'

It's good to see that he refuses to comment despite the allegations that have been thrown his way.

Though Shorten may be a promising candidate (in both political and factional terms), I hope that the ALP loses Maribyrnong given the way in which this battle has been fought. That would be fantastic. Sadly, I don't think that such a protest vote would gain much (if any) support from the general electorate.

---

Sercombe succumbs to Shorten challenge
GILLIAN BRADFORD: None of the five other sitting members are holding out any hope Bob Sercombe's withdrawal will inspire the other challengers to pull out.

The Member for Isaacs Ann Corcoran is one of those under threat.

ANN CORCORAN: I think this is gutless behaviour by a group of men, and they are all men, who are simply interested in promoting the strength of the right in Federal Caucus.

They're not the least bit interested in getting out there and tackling the Liberals and the Liberal-held seats. They're not interested in forming a Labor government federally. They're only interested in one thing, and that is increasing the power of the right in Federal Caucus.

GILLIAN BRADFORD: According to Mrs Corcoran this whole debate is clearly hurting Labor's chances of getting back into government, and many in the party worry she's right.

One Labor MP pointed out Victoria is the jewel in the crown for Labor. They hold 19 out of the State's 37 Federal seats. To get back into government, this MP says, they need to hold those, and the party won't do that by imposing what he calls "factional hacks".

Source: See the above link
Shorten wins pre-selection bid

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
AM - ALP front bencher lashes out at preselection politics

Gavan O'Connor has attacked his leader Kim Beazley, for standing by and doing nothing to protect front benchers like himself and Mr Crean.

GAVAN O'CONNOR: Well, I think the leader would appreciate more than anybody else that if you don't give loyalty, you don't get it, and at the end of the day, it might not be me, it might be the leader.

PETA DONALD: So what does this mean for Kim Beazley's leadership then? Are you saying it's undermined it?

GAVAN O'CONNOR: Well, I think there is a growing feeling in the Caucus that they are quite disillusioned with the fact that the faction, the dominant faction has been able to pick-off people at will in Labor's most successful state. There is a rising anger and I think it's understandable.

PETA DONALD: What does that rising anger mean then, for Kim Beazley and his future?

GAVAN O'CONNOR: Well, that's for the leader to assess and those who have made a feast in Labor's most successful state, we're under the guise of generational change.

We have a factional grab for power that has more to do with propping up numbers post the next federal election in the Federal Caucus than it has to do with getting Labor elected.
---

AM - ALP factional deals make Shorten a winner

Bill Shorten, two sitting senior MPs say what's happening in the Victorian ALP at the moment is a factional, sleazy grab for power. What do you say about that?

BILL SHORTEN: Well, I'd say in the case of my own preselection it hasn't been an easy ride. I've had to visit over 400 Labor households and talk to them about renewal and why they should support me.

I think what we're seeing is the inevitable, inevitable… the inevitable result of four election losses, especially losing the Senate at the last election.

There's a great deal of frustration by Labor supporters who want to see Labor win a federal election.

So it's inevitable that after four defeats there's a debate about renewing the team list.

TONY EASTLEY: But you make it out as if you've got your way into Parliament via this preselection by knocking on doors. It's by factional deal making though, isn't it?

BILL SHORTEN: Well, Tony, you're welcome to come out with me for the last four weeks every night and every weekend talking to people.

No, I actually think that what happened in Maribyrnong is locals were given a choice. I mean, it's a pity there wasn't a ballot of the local people this Sunday and Monday, but…

TONY EASTLEY: But that's it, isn't it? There's no local ballot. It's not the sort of rank and file. You've stitched up factional deals even with Dean Mile from the Electrical Trades Union, which is sort of way away from your union's area of politic.

BILL SHORTEN: Well, in terms of what's been happening, the plebiscite - it's a term of art, I suppose. What it means is that local ALP members get asked to choose who they'd like to see represent them. That's the process which I have been engaged in for the last period of weeks.

And yes, there is a role for the affiliated unions and the Labor Party generally to pick its candidates. I think it is healthy that the Labor Party is engaging in a debate about regeneration.

I actually think that what this shows is that the Labor Party is seriously looking at every part of what it does - new ideas and new players to see how we can provide a viable alternative to the Howard Government.
He'll probably be a great politician, that's for sure.

---

Martin Ferguson: No story to tell
Ferguson lets fly at state of the ALP

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
If anyone caught Aust. stories' profile of Gillard, what did you think?
I thought she came across well, though a little guarded. She certainly positioned herself as a natural successor.
Interesting to see the awkward interaction with Kimbo and her ever-so-gentle repugnance of him.
But the thing that probably stands out is Abbot's heaped praise for her. Maybe he was exaggerating, but my overall impression was that the interview did more favours for her opponent

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Generator said:
Just announced. Simon Crean has won preselection ("Almost 70% of the vote")

It was also interesting that Gillard's profile appeared the very same night that Simon Crean, one of the most intelligent, humane and experienced members of the federal opposition not only survived an impudent preselection challenge but comprehensively thrashed his opponent. I don't think Crean ever had the leadership gene, but his considerable analytical skills, especially in mastering complex detail, make him a worthy member of any Australian inner cabinet. The local Labor Party members obviously agreed, rewarding him with almost 70 percent of the preselection votes, 196 to 88 for Martin Pakula, a union bureaucrat whose ambition outstripped his ability.

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
Australian Story - Julia Gillard Interview Transcript

I'll have a read of the transcript tomorrow night.

Rafy said:
Just announced. Simon Crean has won preselection ("Almost 70% of the vote")
Crean wins Hotham preselection vote

It's good to see that Mr Pakula has accepted the result, but it will be interesting to see what happens to Mr Crean now that he has 'defeated' those who were once his own factional backers. Also of interest will be Beazley's reaction and what this result may mean for the rank and file of the ALP in general - will others be encouraged to make their presence known by challenging the back-room factional warlords?

A good result.

Edit: Well, maybe not such a good result when one takes the time to consider the other preselection challenges taking place in Victoria, but it is still somewhat encouraging.

Crean enjoys huge preselection win

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Opinion piece on Gillard, Iemma, and Crean.

Gillard soars as Iemma flounders

Crean's victory is a huge blow for his hapless leader Kim Beazley, who, lacking loyalty and courage, refused to back Crean -- and big fillip for Gillard who, on the eve of the preselection, was still endorsing Crean.

Today is the first day in the final chapter of Beazley's leadership of the Labor Party. I suspect he will go the way Morris Iemma is heading. Julia Gillard's time may have arrived.

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
Either her or Jenny Macklin, who I believe would be a very vicious opposition leader. Either way I hope that a woman will finally fill Beazley's shoes.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
This shakes things up for the Bomber. I think there's enough excuse for Rudd to challenge now

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Leetom: The YL's have floats at the mardi gras too, I believe. I don't see what the big deal is.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
There is no chance that Australia will ever elect the bomber as PM. Gillard and Rudd and an end to factionalism.

I guess time will tell whether the ALP can reform itself or whether the powerful factions make sure the party will die a slow death.

Poor old Crean did battle with the unions (60:40 to 50:50) and attempted to reform it and it almost ended his career m (not to mention a rampant howard).

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I wonder if this reflects well on the Latham Diaries... He proposed watering down the union vote to correspond with current union membership (approx 20%), as well as denouncing everything and virtually everyone in the party.
I'd be happy to see Kim off, but into something respectful like American ambassador. He's changed since last being oppo leader; obviously bitter and pissed. Totally lost the teddy bear appeal.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Iron said:
I wonder if this reflects well on the Latham Diaries... He proposed watering down the union vote to correspond with current union membership (approx 20%), as well as denouncing everything and virtually everyone in the party.
Conroy was one of those he singled out for quite a bit of criticism, too.

Heh, it was kind of funny to hear Conroy refuse to address Crean's comments earlier today. Of course, it stands to reason that he would be unwilling to talk about the internal workings of the ALP in public when he is meant to be quite vicious and self-serving behind the scenes.

Beazley urged to tackle factionalism
Albanese defends Beazley against factionalism complaints (Albanese, the King of Marrickville, is a factional warlord himself)
Gillard hits out at ALP factionalism

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Generator said:
Conroy was one of those he singled out for quite a bit of criticism, too.

Heh, it was kind of funny to hear Conroy refuse to address Crean's comments earlier today. Of course, it stands to reason that he would be unwilling to talk about the internal workings of the ALP in public when he is meant to be quite vicious and self-serving behind the scenes.
Conroy is a canetoad that needs to be purged from the party, along with his poison spray of lisp.

I could not have been more happy about Crean winning. I suspect im his only fan.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
So basically what you just fessed up to is your own branch stacking operation to block the cambodians attempt to oust crean?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I mearly mentioned in passing that Crean's fav. movie is the Godfather, while the challenging maggot's was Apocalypse Now. I suspect that they identified more with the immigrant's tale to the top and reveled in the atmosphere of blood and genocide

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)