Languages (1 Viewer)

Dingo

Banned
english is all u need realli.
the whole world speaks english now days..

peace^^

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
I'm doing French next year, I've always wanted to do a language but never have.

If you are just learning a language for self-interest then any of the major languages like French or Spanish. But for Business then probably Japanese and Chinese.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
take into account if you have to learn a new alphabet as well

sugamama

Coldplay Fan
I did latin for a few years and it's real hard :(

try german or french or korean

its always good to learn a euro language :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by Dingo
blah blah blah im going to take over the BOS forums
Not if we ban you.
No, the whole world TRIES to speak English and FAILS MISERABLY.
Originally posted by iambored
take into account if you have to learn a new alphabet as well
That's usually the easy bit. I learned the Korean script in a week, the Japanese scripts in two weeks and the Hebrew script in three. It's grammar and vocabulary that will get you.

sugamama

Coldplay Fan
hahaha slack

Speaking french makes you look way more sexier :p

Speaking german makes you look more gruff and like a MAN

its too violent dammit :(

I did it for 5 years :)

cheesegrater

Overlord of the universe
haha trying speaking english to someone in france and see what happens 9/10 they will just ignore you even if they speak english... arrogant pricks

hk31

HSC
japanese and chinese for me!!!

but learning a common european language will be an advantage too

Dingo

Banned
i'll probably learn arabic so i can be fully sick bro..

peace^^

Last edited:

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
german doesnt make you look like a man....i've been learning since i was 10. Depends how you speak it i guess, i think french is more masculine with all the hocking spit sounds

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
being an expert who is fully proficient in Portugus, Espaol, Italiano, Arabic, Russian, Svenska, Franais, Deutsch, Armenian, Danish, Basque, Galician, Tibetan, many regional native dialects of Madagascar, Nordic, Bengali, Classical Quich and Yucateco Mayan (and working on Creole) i would advise 'English' to be your best bet..

but if you already know that then Mandarin/Cantonese/Japanesian are good prospectively, and French is widely spoken thru-out Europa if you want to go down that route.

Its (French) is also a language closely related to its latin neighbours of Portuguese, Spanish, Italian and Romanian. So if you get fluent in French its not hard to pick up any of the above.

i think i will give one of the Asian tongues a go at Universidade.. since i am already quite acquainted with the latin-based lnguas.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by kentwell
If what you speak is true then you, my friend, are a polyglot...
Unless that post was dripping with sarcasm it was a complete waste of my ions.

(yes, I'm referring to both)

lexie

Junior Burger
HSC
N/A
I don't know if what i'm about to say has already been mentioned in the thread...sorry couldn't be bothered reading all the pages...lousy morning :p

I'm doin a B Economics and many others like myself would like to learn at least another language mainly for reasons of personal development and increased flexibility/resourcefulness in a business context i guess. The only problem is that they would prefer to "use up" their credit point quota towards subjects specific to their degree rather than on language units. I reckon this is perfectly understandable considering that uni is expensive and some people just find EVERYTHING interesting! :D

An option worth considering is taking up language studies at NSW Tafe. It's much cheaper - summer school at usyd, for example, charges $1500 for an introductory course in French, whereas Tafe charges $350 for Certificate 1 in French (108 contact hours). You would be given the choice of studying full-time (6 hours/week), part-time or even through correspondence. Personally, I will be studying Certificate 1 in German by correspondence throughout my 2004-2005 summer holidays. The correspondence option allows me to complete study and assignments at my own pace - as long as I complete the work within 12 months. Obviously, I'd prefer to have it out of the way within 3-4 months so that I'm relatively free when uni commences in march 2005.

Anyway, as I said before, it's an option worth considering. When it comes to languages, Tafe is cheaper and more flexible. It may require a little more commitment and consistency in the holidays, but it's well worth it in my opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)