Laptop for Uni (and daily life too actually) (1 Viewer)

matchalolz

HSC
I'm going to be purchasing a laptop for uni next year since my current laptop is pretty much unusable, and the only other laptop/computer I have is the one from the government for public schools which is like 3hr battery life lol no

- I'm ok with spending however much money (just maybe not over $1,500 unless there's a good reason). I'd prefer something that will last me a long time and is good quality.
- I'll be doing a commerce degree, not sure yet how I'll be taking my notes. I tend to learn better via handwriting but if there's a lot of content I'd rather save my time and type. Otherwise I'd be just using it for word, browsing internet, watching videos, etc.
- I use my camera a lot and so I'd be really happy if I could just shove my big SD card into the laptop. But I guess I can use an adapter

I've had good experiences with macs and so I've been looking at their products.
- The macbook seemed nice initially but really lacking in usb ports??
- Macbook 11 inch seemed ok but has no card slot. 13 inch has a slot but idk if it's too big?

I'm also open to windows computers. It's just that in the past, my one was very laggy, and virus infested. Although I really enjoyed playing games (which you can't do on macs without bootcamp).

Thoughts/suggestions? What do you use?

Flop21

HSC
You kind of have to sacrifice things like the number of ports on the laptop for things like thinness and portability.

If you want windows > ASUS ultrabook. It's what I have, love it.

Sister has 11 inch macbook, looks pretty small. I think 13 inch would be fine.

matchalolz

HSC
You kind of have to sacrifice things like the number of ports on the laptop for things like thinness and portability.

If you want windows > ASUS ultrabook. It's what I have, love it.

Sister has 11 inch macbook, looks pretty small. I think 13 inch would be fine.
I'm just not sure if it'll fit on those flippy table things in lecture halls rofl
Just googled it, and asus zenbook came up. Are they the same thing?

Silly Sausage

HSC
I'm just not sure if it'll fit on those flippy table things in lecture halls rofl
They're surprisingly solid lol.
From my observation, ~95% of the people will have a Macbook of some sort.

Flop21

HSC
Yeah sorry I meant the ASUS zenbook. Note, you'll be paying for how thin it is (hence the pretty high price). But if you like macs better, get mac. I got the zenbook purely because it looked like a mac kinda but was windows (I'm not familiar with macs).

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Choosing the right laptop is about trying to find a compromise between power, portability and cost, and often increasing one will sacrifice the others. If you're going to play games on it, you need more power, but that also makes the computer heavier, however you can play games on your desktop at home.

Do not under any circumstances buy a macbook. Just no. NO. DO NOT BUY ONE. You can get a non-apple laptop with equivalent power and portability for considerably less cost, and avoid the virus problem with some common sense.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Macbook pro is the best laptop on the market. Its been pretty much proven.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
There is legit no other laptop that can match the touch pad of a macbook. You will be left with trashy navigation that is not responsive

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
If you dont play that much games: Dell XPS 13 / surface pro 3

If you Play games: Lenovo y50

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm going to be purchasing a laptop for uni next year since my current laptop is pretty much unusable, and the only other laptop/computer I have is the one from the government for public schools which is like 3hr battery life lol no

- I'm ok with spending however much money (just maybe not over $1,500 unless there's a good reason). I'd prefer something that will last me a long time and is good quality.
- I'll be doing a commerce degree, not sure yet how I'll be taking my notes. I tend to learn better via handwriting but if there's a lot of content I'd rather save my time and type. Otherwise I'd be just using it for word, browsing internet, watching videos, etc.
- I use my camera a lot and so I'd be really happy if I could just shove my big SD card into the laptop. But I guess I can use an adapter

I've had good experiences with macs and so I've been looking at their products.
- The macbook seemed nice initially but really lacking in usb ports??
- Macbook 11 inch seemed ok but has no card slot. 13 inch has a slot but idk if it's too big?

I'm also open to windows computers. It's just that in the past, my one was very laggy, and virus infested. Although I really enjoyed playing games (which you can't do on macs without bootcamp).

Thoughts/suggestions? What do you use?
You can always get usb jacks? I think

13 inch is pretty decent for carrying around I've found.

My macbook fits my sd cards well

jakewist

HSC
The new DELL XPS 15 maybe? If 15" is a bit too big then 13" version is good.
I'm on the fence between Macbook/Windows. But with the new dell XPS 15 released, might just get that :p

astroman

HSC
The new DELL XPS 15 maybe? If 15" is a bit too big then 13" version is good.
I'm on the fence between Macbook/Windows. But with the new dell XPS 15 released, might just get that :p
Macbook is shit , pcmasterrace
source: i have a macbook, big regret.

astroman

HSC
What makes it bad? :O
TBH Macs are more a prestige item than a useful device, comparatively for the price you get very old and little performance. Apple focuses on a simple design principle, they dont care if the technology is old, it must look good. Unlike windows systems which focus on performance. Compared to a $1500 macbook, u can get a dell xps 13 with 8gb ram, 512gb ssd, fast i5 chip and lots more, destroying the macbook in every way.

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
TBH Macs are more a prestige item than a useful device, comparatively for the price you get very old and little performance. Apple focuses on a simple design principle, they dont care if the technology is old, it must look good. Unlike windows systems which focus on performance. Compared to a $1500 macbook, u can get a dell xps 13 with 8gb ram, 512gb ssd, fast i5 chip and lots more, destroying the macbook in every way.
Getting that XPS after HSC man, kind of lacks in GPU department but get them gaming desktop at home

turntaker

HSC
buy $200 chrome book for uni, build behemoth pcmasterrace glorious quad gtx titan z 4k custom looped i7 5960x, 128gb ram beast pc at home.
this^

got myself a $350 chromebook from USA with i3 and 4gb of ram. never been happier.
Battery is 7 hours, i can run linux on it to do whatever I want.
Also very light and portable (11.2 inches)

Going to build a $1500 pc at home for myself in summer.
Don't spend thousands on a uni laptop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)