• I hardly ever use a laptop at Uni

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • I don’t use a laptop at Uni

Votes: 18 23.1%

• Total voters

boris

Banned
HSC
Re: How helpful is a laptop at university?

Laptops are good.
But not during lectures.

The end.

Evilo

HSC

Wooz said:
Not unless you get a tablet(bloody expensive though).
Still, those tablets have limited capabilities, but yes expense is an issue..

Japadict

HSC

Sorry if my message got misinterpreted. I do not plan to buy a laptop till 2010, but I DO plan to save up and I was wondering how much I should save up. But come to think of it, with $500 by 2010 any laptop would do the job plus more.

Good point from jas0nt. I guess I'm going to be getting a laptop to keep all my notes on (with usb drive backups, of course) but will probably stick with pen and paper when its more time efficient. For the sole purpose of taking notes without diagrams, forever, I am much faster than my handwriting so I'm in a bit of a pickle.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC

but 2010 is teh future, you'll need an awesome laptop powered by solar energy and your spaceboots to keep up with the times!

Evilo

HSC

you should get a decent laptop for 2k, you can probably get a very basic laptop for 1k. the technology gets better, but the prices stay around the same i spose?

Japadict

HSC

chucknthem said:
but 2010 is teh future, you'll need an awesome laptop powered by solar energy and your spaceboots to keep up with the times!
hahahahaha :)

To Evilo: Yeah, you're right, I've since realized the $500 was in America with no Australian delivery. However, I might be able to purchase a cheap brand new macbook from my school which has some sort of partnership with Apple.

The Macbook 2.2ghz 2 duo
1gb memory
120gb HD

for $1300 seems pretty good, if I wait till just before I leave school and see if my school can get me a couple hundred off the price it just may be within my price range seeing as its decent middle of the range technology which will be better by the end of next year.

efhat

HSC

ive got a sony vaio atm, 60gb hD, 1.73ghz, 504mb RAM, running XP professional......i mite need to grab a new battery for it tho coz it dusnt last more than 2 hrs anymore......but aside from that, do u reckon thats good enough for uni this yr?

ps: are dictaphones helpful in lectures? like if i record the lecture and then take down notes at home??

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC

efhat said:
ive got a sony vaio atm, 60gb hD, 1.73ghz, 504mb RAM, running XP professional......i mite need to grab a new battery for it tho coz it dusnt last more than 2 hrs anymore......but aside from that, do u reckon thats good enough for uni this yr?

ps: are dictaphones helpful in lectures? like if i record the lecture and then take down notes at home??
Yeh, it should be decent esp since you should only be using word, onenote,etc, also it's prob not worth lugging it to uni everyday, you might wana stick to good ol pen and paper. See how you go though.

Most recorders are pretty dodgy and useless esp in a lecture hall it captures all the ambiet noise. Some lectures get recorded and posted online, depends where your at though.

efhat

HSC

hmm ok......well im going to uts so does anyone know if they post their lectures online?

p4e81

Domesticated Daydreamer
HSC

Japadict said:
Sorry if my message got misinterpreted. I do not plan to buy a laptop till 2010, but I DO plan to save up and I was wondering how much I should save up. But come to think of it, with $500 by 2010 any laptop would do the job plus more.
remember that even though the hardware will be much more powerful in teh future, the software that runs on those machines will also be more spec demanding.

i'd say just choose an ideal laptop for uni right now (imagine ur going uni this year), remember its price, and buy ur 2010 laptop with a similar price. =/

Last edited:

jas0nt

HSC
N/A

Malfoy said:
As an aside, I'm replacing my laptop in October and I'm looking at getting a tablet PC. How much would I be looking at for a top of the range one?
$4k probably.

Thought Shark

HSC

Japadict said:
Is the use of laptops for notes accepted in Science courses? I won't be going till 2010, but just want to prepare. Did you like making a folder of notes or using your laptop better?

Also, what sort of laptop will do? I want to be as cheap as possible but having a high end desktop computer, I don't know what to go. I know pretty much all hardware terminology, so will a laptop with these specifications (I know some of them have no effect) have any problems, slowdowns, etc. running XP with Office 07 programs plus Firefox and some other extras:

Ram: 1GB
HD: 120GB
Processor: 1.86ghz Celeron M

Well there's a whole lot more but other than mentioning I was looking at an Acer in this case, what do you think? I'm pretty sure it should be fine. By 2010 I'll probably be able to get a much more powerful laptop for the same price ($500). Answering my own question, I think it should be absolutely fine running anything other than games, so my main question is about how helpful it is.
Hahahahaha. You're in year 11. Go and finish the HSC and then come back and ask. No-one, and i mean no-one, plans computer purchases 2 years in advance.

Also, thankyou for posting the 45th laptop thread this week.

Lavenderpup

HSC

I have a tablet pc. It's a T4220. Bought it from the usa for rather cheap considering the exchange rate. Most tablet pcs are 12.1" and fairly light. The compromise is power though =(

Lavenderpup

HSC

Battery life is awesome (about 6-8 hours sometimes) but graphics card is shit. Rather, there's only integrated. But it's enough for uni unless you're doing some type of 3d modelling or the like.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A

Hey guys I'm planning one practicing as a lawyer in 2011/12. What laptop should I get then? Would I need one? So many questions!

wow 5 yrs of studying + 1yr law school is way too long:(

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A

ari89 said:
Hey guys I'm planning one practicing as a lawyer in 2011/12. What laptop should I get then? Would I need one? So many questions!

wow 5 yrs of studying + 1yr law school is way too long:(
Awww. I suggest that you dont worry about it now, by the time 2011 comes thousands of new laptops would hit the market, and they would be equipped with the latest features to suit your needs. So dont worry and be happy, and concentrate on what you are currently doing :)

...and yeah...6 years is definitely a looooong time!! Poor you :S :(

I hope that helped :eek:

Goodluck! :)

Evilo

HSC

hey guys,

I'm, thinking of getting a laptop in 2034 when im firmly locked into a job for life. What laptop would you suggest?

I just thought i should start thinking about it now.

PS - i'm going into the mining/minerals industry.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC

Evilo said:
hey guys,

I'm, thinking of getting a laptop in 2034 when im firmly locked into a job for life. What laptop would you suggest?

Post reported as spam.

Evilo

HSC

Azamakumar said:
Post reported as spam.
ill report your post as spam for quoting my spam post.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A

Evilo said:
hey guys,

you've got no style

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)