• I don’t use a laptop at Uni

Votes: 18 23.1%

• Total voters

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Laptops @ Uni

You need to have the intangible benefit of having a macbook at uni. You will be a siq kent, that is.

enoilgam

HSC

You'll be fine. The transition isn't as daunting as you think. It's actually good that you're concerned about your ability to cope (I mean most people are probably like ''yay, time to party hard in 1st year'' or ''no more study'') - shows that you care.

Also, try to stay on topic (i.e. the use of laptops in university).
I like how people are surprised to find that uni actually involves work - it's like, "it's teritary education what did you expect".

Could you elaborate on these good skill in high school,
Organisational skills, adaptability, strategic and analytical thinking and time management are the main ones (important for work as well). Basically, work on your soft skills.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Laptops @ Uni

You'll be fine. The transition isn't as daunting as you think. It's actually good that you're concerned about your ability to cope (I mean most people are probably like ''yay, time to party hard in 1st year'' or ''no more study'') - shows that you care.

Also, try to stay on topic (i.e. the use of laptops in university).
Really ! , so try scary thoughts I have is good ?

Lol, sorry for the derail.

Is a laptop better or tablet ?

Can u recommend a suitable laptop for me. I am planning to do Eng/Bus at UTS (hopefully I cud get in)

Last edited:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

You need to have the intangible benefit of having a macbook at uni. You will be a siq kent, that is.
Basically, everyone in my law seminars this year used macbooks or didn't bring a laptop.

Meanwhile, I'm chilling in class with my fat HP Pavilion.

Really ! , so try scary thoughts I have is good ?

Lol, sorry for the derail.

Is a laptop better or tablet.

Can u recommend a suitable laptop for me. I am planning to do Eng/Bus at UTS (hopefully I cud get in)
Depends on the extent of said ''scary'' thoughts :haha:

Don't let them overwhelm you. It's just unnecessary.

Up to you really. I know people who use tablets and many people use laptops.

I'm not a laptop expert but I recommend anything that is 'light' basically.

If you go into a UTS Business lecture, you'll probably see macbooks everywhere :haha:

Remember that there's also plenty of computer facilities.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad

I think the laptop would come in handy when you're in a lecture that requires you to take down a lot of notes, since you can take down notes faster. You'll also have access to the lecture slides (assuming the lecturer put them up before the lecture) and so even if the lecturer goes too fast you can finish writing the sentence that you're on. But yeah, when I sat in comm lectures, a lot of laptops I saw had fb up. I even saw people playing flash games!

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad

Basically, everyone in my law seminars this year used macbooks or didn't bring a laptop.

Meanwhile, I'm chilling in class with my fat HP Pavilion.

Depends on the extent of said ''scary'' thoughts :haha:

Don't let them overwhelm you. It's just unnecessary.

Up to you really. I know people who use tablets and many people use laptops.

I'm not a laptop expert but I recommend anything that is 'light' basically.

If you go into a UTS Business lecture, you'll probably see macbooks everywhere :haha:

Remember that there's also plenty of computer facilities.
Thanks For the advice. !! :)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I don't get it. Why would you not have a laptop for uni?
But what is there that can be done with a laptop that I can't do on a computer at uni or with pen and paper?

(I'm only speaking for UNSW as I don't know about other uni's).

I can still print out the lecture slides, annotate them as I want, find any educational resource at uni, anything really.

I mean students are free to browse facebook or whatever they like on uni computers. You can do a lot of things on a computer at uni, as long as it abides the rules and conduct (which practically is just no games and no inappropriate conduct, which you shouldn't be doing any way as you are at uni for educational and personal development purposes) and as long as you don't have to install something or run a program without authority (need administrator rights to install stuff or run applications).

Also, I do use a laptop for an activity at uni, but this is out of scope of actual classes. Its for something else completely which not many people participate in (or similar activities).

Last edited:

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A

Tbh bro, I am very scared for next year..

Like you said it going to be a step up and I am not sure if I have the ability to handle it.

New surroundings, new ppl and etc.

I am 17 and I keep on making the excuse I am immature to go to Uni, and that it should only be for +18 year olds
I was 17 when I started as well. Still the youngest one (or one of) in my year but age doesn't make a difference. The earlier you start, the better. Uni is harder in a sense that you don't have time to revise over things if you want to maintain a life. If you want to get by with a credit average it isn't too challenging. Depends which uni and what course you do obviously. Any dimwit can get a hd average at uws with effort.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad

I was 17 when I started as well. Still the youngest one (or one of) in my year but age doesn't make a difference. The earlier you start, the better. Uni is harder in a sense that you don't have time to revise over things if you want to maintain a life. If you want to get by with a credit average it isn't too challenging. Depends which uni and what course you do obviously. Any dimwit can get a hd average at uws with effort.
So I am not the only one ?

The thing I am mostly worried about is that, Uni is different compared to High School

You have ur Lectures, Tutorial and labs blah blah and my worry is that "would I be able to cope with everything which including work load of studying,assignments and exams " at the same time roaming around public transport with the fear of someone jacking ur shit ?

At the same time, be able to have a "ok" social life. I don't wanna be that guy who just say in his room the whole day studying while other ppl are enjoying themselves. I have seen myself in the HSC and realised that I am bit of a slow learner. I have to read something for at least 10x just to check that I am able to understand it. Would this affect time management in Uni ?

Looool at UWS, that is my back up

enoilgam

HSC

The thing I am mostly worried about is that, Uni is different compared to High School

You have ur Lectures, Tutorial and labs blah blah and my worry is that "would I be able to cope with everything which including work load of studying,assignments and exams " at the same time roaming around public transport with the fear of someone jacking ur shit ?

At the same time, be able to have a "ok" social life. I don't wanna be that guy who just say in his room the whole day studying while other ppl are enjoying themselves. I have seen myself in the HSC and realised that I am bit of a slow learner. I have to read something for at least 10x just to check that I am able to understand it. Would this affect time management in Uni ?

Uni is very different to HS in that uni isnt as consuming - so you naturally develop more of a life. Besides, marks arent as valuable in uni as they are in HS - a credit average is good enough for most jobs and this is achievable for most people. A HD average is pretty much pointless for most careers except maybe MBB or IB.

On the UWS thing, I dont think it is easier to get higher marks at a lesser uni, but the competition is vastly inferior, so it's easier to beat the bell curve. I had just over a Distinction WAM and I was one of the top people in BComm.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A

haha don't worry man. Everyone will be on the same boat. I was on the exact same boat except I don't remember thinking too much about academics etc going into university - I just knew I wanted to meet as many people I wanted and find my close group of uni mates as early as possible. That happened and just makes your university experience so much better. So don't worry about things like that. Any reasonably intelligent person can handle university - it isn't that much of a step up. You only started your holidays, so don't think about these yet. I have plenty of friends who work quite a lot of hours and put relatively less in their studies - they are going by fine (i.e. credits and occasional Ds). Its all up to you. What you want to prioritise.

In terms of being a slow learning - that just means you will understand things better which is key for university. You will rarely get any 'explain the 5 effects of globalisation' or 'how does the photosynthesis work'. Its much more on application. I just finished my 2nd year and I am still experimenting with what works best for me. First year cramming was fine and I did exceptionally well. 2nd year I sort of got stuffed over using the same strategy. Key thing - you never stop learning.

Uni is very different to HS in that uni isnt as consuming - so you naturally develop more of a life. Besides, marks arent as valuable in uni as they are in HS - a credit average is good enough for most jobs and this is achievable for most people. A HD average is pretty much pointless for most careers except maybe MBB or IB.

On the UWS thing, I dont think it is easier to get higher marks at a lesser uni, but the competition is vastly inferior, so it's easier to beat the bell curve. I had just over a Distinction WAM and I was one of the top people in BComm.
Generally speaking, it is easier to get higher marks at 'lesser' universities. There is not much wrong or 'pretentious' about that statement.
Well, after 3 years of university in B comm 80ish WAM is pretty exceptional (some universities mark differently e.g. unsw where 50ish people/year get dean's list whereas usyd had 30 people last year across all 3 year groups). So its very hard to compare marks across institutions. But generally, from those students who have transferred (from uts esp) and my mates from other universities, it is generally the case.

kast

HSC
Uni Grad
I only take my laptop when I have time between classes or want some entertainment on the train. Some students do everything on their laptops - digital textbook, online lecture slides, typing notes. But that doesn't work for everyone and laptop-notetaking would be imcompatible with certain degrees (eg. if you need to scribble lots of diagrams and other visual notes). Pen and paper is so much easier for me. For anyone though, practicing writing skill throughout the semester might save your arse when you have to sit down for a 3 hour written exam.

pHyRe

HSC
chromebooks are great for uni, best to combine it with a PC or windows laptop at home for those random programs you sometimes need to use like Data Analysis in Excel or whatever.

unfortunately broke mine 2 days before exams finished last sem.

pHyRe

HSC

deleted

Last edited:

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: laptops

Nah if u think about it. Compare it to a decent ultrabook.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad

Nah if u think about it. Compare it to a decent ultrabook.
Thats for sure, Ultrabooks are shit

I just went to the Apple Store website. Macbook arent that expensive

MacBook Pro
- 13inch
-i7
-1TB
-4GB
$1589

not bad tbh, also it would last for a long time compared to other laptops such as HP,Dell and etc.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad

Thats for sure, Ultrabooks are shit

I just went to the Apple Store website. Macbook arent that expensive

MacBook Pro
- 13inch
-i7
-1TB
-4GB
$1589

not bad tbh, also it would last for a long time compared to other laptops such as HP,Dell and etc.
u obvs cant play games or what not, but for uni something light and portable is great

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)