Votes: 22 28.2%
  • I hardly ever use a laptop at Uni

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • I don’t use a laptop at Uni

Votes: 18 23.1%

• Total voters

Chris.

HSC
Re: How much does having a laptop help me at uni?

makes your uni days more tiring

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A

^ Well, carrying my laptop around uni almost everyday used to really give me shoulder pains and back pains :mad1: :(

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
Re: Do you use a often laptop at uni? Or will you?

nope. don't need to, and never see the point.

there are so many things i can do on paper that a laptop user will take 5 minutes to do (draw diagrams/equations).

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC

Don't need one. Exercise book + pen is fine for lectures, and I write my essays on my pc at home. If I really need a computer at uni - like if I'm late on an assessment or something - I just use one of the computer labs.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC

I take my laptop to uni if I'm planning on spending a day in the library finishing off a big essay or something... but I don't take it for class, no.

iamsickofyear12

HSC

I take my laptop when I have long breaks and need something to do. If not I don't bother. I bring a couple pieces of paper and a pen in case I need to write something important down, but other than that I just listen. First year I made notes and never read them again... biggest waste of time ever.

G

Gavvvvvin

plus you cant look cool hauling around a laptop :)

Foxodi

HSC

You could look cool with a pda but!

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC

Yah laptops are way heavy. I took one to uni once last year when I did a big research and essay writing day. It means you don't have to line up for a computer, and you don't have to re-type everything later on, but that's just for essays. But hauling it to and from the station was icky.

For day-to-day use pens and paper are the way to go. Lighter and cheaper.

ibewatto

HSC

not being at uni yet i dont count, but i use 1 at skool, it weighs 1 and a half kilos, my pride and joy, only problem is all HSC tests are hand written

HSC

There's just something unexplicably beautiful about handwritten notes done by yourself. :eek:

ibewatto

HSC

Iheartpaulfrank said:
There's just something unexplicably beautiful about handwritten notes done by yourself. :eek:
unless your handwriting looks like some1 chopped off their finger and decided to spray it across some paper and as a result u write about 4 pages in an hour wen you can type 90 words a minute....ill take a comp anyday

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A

I only get my laptop when i have lots of assignments, and a long day, with long breaks. Otherwise, i avoid bringing it to uni as much as i can....i really dont like carrying it around.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC

the idea of lugging a heavy laptop (mine is practically a desktop replacement) around when you live over an hr from uni is NOT appealing to me so I would say "never"

i bring an exercise book, a pen and highlighter and I'm set to go. I don't really do any artsy subjects that require copious note taking anyway. I just add things to my lecture slide print outs and highlight stuff.

I use the comp to type up most of my summary notes for finals though but that is always done at home.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC

My handwriting is OK, but it deteriorates rapidly when I start to fall asleep, which happens once or twice a week.

You can see it happen. The writing starts off legible, and by the end I'm drawing scribbles of unrelated material and writing only odd words. It's strange that I keep on writing, even when I'm not listening and half of my brain isn't working.

rid243

Richard
HSC

i go to macquarie & sometimes the computers in the library, ECFS labs & such get taken up quickly... i often find a queue just to use the slow computers in the library... in those instances i wish i brought my laptop.. when haul my laptop to uni though, i realise doing a lot of things are really difficult, e.g. going to the bathroom, especially if you have to take heaps of books.. i just leave the books on a desk somewhere usually. in short, i only take it if i know i'll need internet access

melsc

Premium Member
HSC

Depends on the person. I use mine for taking notes and it means I have all my notes for all my subjects at my disposal. You also dont need to worry about typing up notes later and you can access lecture slides and the internet if you have wireless at uni. You have to be disciplined but its really helpful i've found.

HSC

ibewatto said:
unless your handwriting looks like some1 chopped off their finger and decided to spray it across some paper and as a result u write about 4 pages in an hour wen you can type 90 words a minute....ill take a comp anyday
Hehe. I'm just lucky I have nice writing (most of the time). :)

Providence.

Banned
HSC
N/A

Musk said:
Beware

Unis have issues in regard to stealing laptops

Humanities students steal laptops to sell for their drug money
Beware this person uses his laptop to download child ponography on the go

thesoftparade

HSC

I bought a MacBook a month ago and it's helped me a lot with high school.
I use it for the majority of my subjects and it makes the process of converting class notes into study notes a heck of a lot easier.
Good luck, and to any PC user considering getting a laptop, I would highly recommend the MacBook. Macs, unlike PCs, have the capability of running Mac OS X as well as Windows whereas PCs can only run Windows.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)