Laptops (1 Viewer)

MailMofo

HSC
I'm currently considering purchasing a new laptop for University.

For those of use who are using laptops, what would you recommend?

I'm looking at the Dell Inspiron 15 at the moment, but think it may be a little to bulky for carting around all day.

What do use guys use?

Epic

HSC
Search "laptop" in the search box, there was a huge thread on laptops like a week ago.

debts

HSC
N/A
probably going to buy an MBP, dual boot it with windows and beat off

Andi0390

HSC
I personally don't like Dells. I've seen many bad warranty experiences and I just don't like them.

Be aware that you'll probably find most laptops too heavy and bulky to carry around. They aren't as practical as you might think.

If you are wanted to take notes in class consider purchasing a netbook and another computer for home. A netbook will do enough for basic note taking and internet searching, and you can use the school computers for long study periods. Full sized laptops get pretty heavy after carrying them all day, and their battery life isn't usually so great.

Depending on your course, you might not even end up wanting to take notes on a laptop, sometimes writing, or just drawing on lecture plan things is better.

In my experience a lot of people use Apple computers. I've never had them but a lot of people really like them.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Personally, I would actually recommend getting a little netbook for a few hundred and then either an entertainment-sized laptop or an actual desktop to keep at home. All the decent computers are too big to carry to uni, whilst the small ones have crap performance and few ports. Even a laptop only weighing less than 2kg is still quite heavy when you have to lug it all the way to and around uni.

Last edited:

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
dell has amazing warranty i know i called customer service on a dell that was out of warranty, not being aware it was out of warranty and they guy on the phone still spent 40 mintues fixing the problem with me

I think a Netbook is better for uni. i laugh a little inside when i see people struggling with big laptops when mine is tiny and light

Tofuu

HSC
depends what else you're going to be using it for
if you're not going to be gaming, buy a Mac book Pro or something along the lines of that
only buy a netbook if you can handle the small keyboard and screen

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
netbook keyboards are really not that small tbh.
and the screens are useable for uni they are not designed to be used as a sole computer. Although I use mine at home plugged into a monitor and keyboard and mouse

mystiques4

Awesome Member
HSC
Dell are supposed to have one of the best warranty/after purchase support lol

To the OP:
Consider getting something smaller then a full size laptop, especially if you need to walk/commute for a while since they become a pain in the arse to take around all day (and they usually have shitter battery life)

Personally i'm opting for a 11.6" ultraportable with at least 6 hours battery.

MailMofo

HSC
Dell are supposed to have one of the best warranty/after purchase support lol

To the OP:
Consider getting something smaller then a full size laptop, especially if you need to walk/commute for a while since they become a pain in the arse to take around all day (and they usually have shitter battery life)

Personally i'm opting for a 11.6" ultraportable with at least 6 hours battery.

Yeah, I'm defiantly considering getting a net book around that size. The walk from the station to Callaghan ( Newcastle campus ) is a killer without the extra weight of a laptop.

Would you recommended anywhere to grab it online?

fetiche

HSC
Asus U80V pretty powerful and looks pretty powerful aswell. Put all those DELL noobs on show

mystiques4

Awesome Member
HSC
Yeah, I'm defiantly considering getting a net book around that size. The walk from the station to Callaghan ( Newcastle campus ) is a killer without the extra weight of a laptop.

Would you recommended anywhere to grab it online?
Online?
Plenty I guess.

Is it because you live out far from Sydney?

You can use this site to check for laptop models, most of the stores offer shipping (some are more reliable then others)
staticICE - Compare Prices - Australia - Price comparison for gadgets and computer hardware

Oh but, the Dell website is a pretty reliable place to buy a Laptop, as well as the Lenovo site.
Consider looking at the Lenovo Ideapad S12, looks pretty good and it has the new Nvidia Ion Chipset too.

http://shopap.lenovo.com/SEUILibrar...ategory=/Notebooks/IdeaPad notebooks/S Series

And before anyone criticises a netbooks power, it's plenty for surfing the net, playing basic videos/multimedia etc and doing schoolwork. The only thing it can't really do is play graphic intensive games and powerful programs.

Last edited:

MailMofo

HSC
Online?
Plenty I guess.

Is it because you live out far from Sydney?

You can use this site to check for laptop models, most of the stores offer shipping (some are more reliable then others)
staticICE - Compare Prices - Australia - Price comparison for gadgets and computer hardware

Oh but, the Dell website is a pretty reliable place to buy a Laptop, as well as the Lenovo site.
Consider looking at the Lenovo Ideapad S12, looks pretty good and it has the new Nvidia Ion Chipset too.

Lenovo - Laptop computers - IdeaPad - Laptops - Mini laptops - Netbooks

And before anyone criticises a netbooks power, it's plenty for surfing the net, playing basic videos/multimedia etc and doing schoolwork. The only thing it can't really do is play graphic intensive games and powerful programs.
I only live about 2 hours from the city, but i do take regular trips into the inner west.

Was there a place in the city worth checking out?

mystiques4

Awesome Member
HSC
I only live about 2 hours from the city, but i do take regular trips into the inner west.

Was there a place in the city worth checking out?
Not in particular, but alot of people on BoS seem to like brick and mortar stores where they can see what they're buying lol

dawdlex3

HSC
I just got a ASUS 1008HA 10.1" netbook for $498, and planning to use it in uni this year. Last year was a hassle when I had to drag around my regular laptop...

mystiques4

Awesome Member
HSC
I just got a ASUS 1008HA 10.1" netbook for $498, and planning to use it in uni this year. Last year was a hassle when I had to drag around my regular laptop...
Haha I dragged a 15.6" Toshiba laptop around for about a month before I got fed up and bought my MSI Wind U100 :p

Kalashnikov47

HSC
I'd suggest you buy an ultra-portable machine and then keep a desktop/main laptop at home. This way, you can keep your laptop in your bookbag and bring it to uni everyday. You may think carrying an extra laptop bag is nothing, but trust me, after the novelty is worn off, you'll find carrying an extra bag pretty annoying.

SFinspired

HSC
True dat.

p,.s i freakin hate those faggots who bring their macbooks. snobby bstards.

or am i too jealous and cheap?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)