last min change pref advice...uts/maq (1 Viewer)

-pari-

HSC
N/A
1) i have a UTS offer which i've accepted but i want to try for macquarie as well, but am unsure if i would accept macquarie.

if i change macquarie prefernce so that it is placed above uts, will my uts offer get cancelled?

and the degree i'm looking at is com/law - can anyone give me any heads up on which of the two uni's are considered better, and if there's much of a difference - and the pro/cons of attending either...?

spence

HSC
i think mac and uts are roughly equal for business - not entirely sure though
and your offer won't get cancelled if you change your prefs

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
-pari- said:
1) i have a UTS offer which i've accepted but i want to try for macquarie as well, but am unsure if i would accept macquarie.

if i change macquarie prefernce so that it is placed above uts, will my uts offer get cancelled?
No, it won't be cancelled. If you then get offered Macq in the late round you can choose whether to stay at UTS or cancel your enrolment there and move to Macq.

miss-smexy

HSC
Jerruy said:
UTS is a LOT better than macq for bus/law
Please substantiate ^^

Macq has a better business school. It's also considered better for law. I chose Macq over UTS because of that. It has a lower uai though - probably cuz it's in North Ryde and not the city.

If you're not convinced, check out the world rankings of universities - there's a link on wiki. Macquarie ranks 168. UTS ranks 259.

/Edit: http://www.topuniversities.com/worlduniversityrankings/results/2007/overall_rankings/top_400_universities

Also, Macquarie is well known for Actuarial Studies and it's ranked just after UNSW for Accounting.

Last edited:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
miss-smexy said:
Please substantiate ^^

Macq has a better business school. It's also considered better for law. I chose Macq over UTS because of that. It has a lower uai though - probably cuz it's in North Ryde and not the city.
I don't know many people who say Mac > UTS for law.
I reckon they're just both fighting for the spot of 'the choice after USYD and UNSW'

blakegman

HSC
N/A
miss-smexy said:
=S lol which part are u referring to?
i have heard UTS is slightly better in the area of law and most majors for business for a few people in the industry. But they could be bias/ill-informed.

Last edited:

williamc

HSC
The difference between MQ and UTS is insignificant.

What matters is what marks you achieve.

I could have gone to USYD or UNSW for Economics but doing a double degree, plus the convience of it being so close as opposed to usyd or unsw which take an eternity to get to made me choose MQ(20 mins away).

It won't make a difference anyway if i am able to do honours or if i choose to go onto postgrad.

So weight up how close the uni is, are you considering postgrad or honours etc..

mrbsting

HSC
MQ > UTS for me.

1. Location. I only have to drive 15 minutes to get to campus, and 15 minutes in another direction to get to work. If I was working in the CBD, then maybe UTS would be a much more viable alternative. (personal choice)

2. BCom LLB appealed more to me than BBus LLB. (personal choice).

3. Reputation. The whole 'technology' thing really bugs me. But both, Macquarie and UTS are pretty well known. I would say that both law schools are about equal, even though some surveys have MQ Law streets ahead non Go8 unis (UTS is no where to be seen).

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Musk said:
Ari: Business ppl are so anti social and have their noses so high, why?
I'm not anti social:(
(but i hate my business degree so yeah)

I believe it is because of the price of tea in China.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Musk said:
Have fun with the Macquarie Vice Chancellor, everyone hates him
I think he's the best thing to happen to the uni ?

miss-smexy

HSC
Musk said:
hahahahahaaha she based her uni on research rankings

ah fuck thats funny shit but im not surprised as she will very well fit in with the business crowd

Have fun with the Macquarie Vice Chancellor, everyone hates him
hahahah wth? Anyway I chose Macq also cuz its 15 mins travel vs UTS which is 45 mins. And plus, Macq has a more reputable biz school than UTS.

Musk said:
I got told staff morale is low and something about the sacking of a student organisation
Yeh, Victor Ma, head of the student organisation or something embezzled student funds into his wife's account.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Musk said:
I got told staff morale is low and something about the sacking of a student organisation
Rofl, the ones that are afraid are the same people who've been sitting pretty doing sweet jack all while they hoarde funding from the uni. Its great that he's making people accountable and transparent because we might actually get some better lecturers now.

And the second one is rofl.

Most of the people who don't like Schwartz have something to lose thats why.

kelsinator

HSC
hey, im doing bus/law at macquarie and it wasn't fighting over the uni after sydney or UNSW.
i could have gone to SYD or UNSW, but macquarie impressed me much on the open day and other dealings with them. Sydney seemed to take on an ethos of 'we can't be bothered marketing to you, because people will come here anyway' whereas Mac showed genuine enthusiasm to assist its high achievers. Besides, my cadetship with a highly regarded company told me UNSW is regarded as best, then SYD and MAC on par, then UTS. They were very pleased with my decision to take an offer at Mac, even with my higher UAI.

Jerruy

HSC
kelsinator said:
hey, im doing bus/law at macquarie and it wasn't fighting over the uni after sydney or UNSW.
i could have gone to SYD or UNSW, but macquarie impressed me much on the open day and other dealings with them. Sydney seemed to take on an ethos of 'we can't be bothered marketing to you, because people will come here anyway' whereas Mac showed genuine enthusiasm to assist its high achievers. Besides, my cadetship with a highly regarded company told me UNSW is regarded as best, then SYD and MAC on par, then UTS. They were very pleased with my decision to take an offer at Mac, even with my higher UAI.
Whoever told you that is simply ignorant...as are you for believing it.

Business faculties are best recognised in order:

1. USyd
2. UNSW All of these 3 require UAIs above 91.00!
3. UTS (although many argue this is the best...i can't see how)

Daylight

4. Macq who has a uai of 83 to gain entry...

williamc

HSC
Jerruy said:
Whoever told you that is simply ignorant...as are you for believing it.

Business faculties are best recognised in order:

1. USyd
2. UNSW All of these 3 require UAIs above 91.00!
3. UTS (although many argue this is the best...i can't see how)

Daylight

4. Macq who has a uai of 83 to gain entry...
rof rof.

You are a fucking idiot. UAI has no correlation with the "best" university to do that course.

She is telling you from someone within the industry. People will have different opinons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)