• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Latham's illness (2 Viewers)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Haha Latham will never get the top job... What a statement given that 6 months or so ago the 'Latham factor' was seen as an unstoppable force that the Coalition feared and something that was widely supported by many sections of the press.

Nobody will deny that this entire issue has been handled poorly, but he is sick, and given that nobody seems to know how sick we still cannot say for sure whether he fucked it up or not.

Edit: He is the opposition leader, and we aren't considering what ifs. Given that his supporting comments or criticisms are of no real concern and that he was/is sick (BUT why weren't his colleagues told earlier...), why are we crying? The party coped, if not as well as we might have hoped.

Last edited:

0Jade0

HSC
I've lived in America, I've bee there on polling day..... I've also seen those result thingys with the income, education, race, religion, urban/suburban.....
Let me tell you, it is an even spread.

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
people dont care what he has to say about it as long as he says SOMETHING. but he said nothing and that was his downfall.
and yes he can do something about it, thats bullshit if you believe he cant do anything- he might not be the PM but hes the leader of a major political party, if you didnt notice, the one YOU'RE supporting!

ps for your fucking information a tsunami is not a SMALL thing

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
Jesus! said:
You really think people care aboit policies?

I'd love to see Gillard as leader. However I know how the media treats women in politics and how the Australia public would treat her. You only have to look at how Cernot was treated for having an affair (OMG shock horror!)...Ross Cameron had an affair at the same time as chanting family values. The media hardly did a thing.

Pragmatically she will won't be PM for a long while.
well colour me stupid for thinking that politics should be about politics. The way that women in politics are treated in Australia (as a general thing) is completly unacceptable, and there is NO WAY that the kind of rampant predujes (yes, I have no idea how to spell it :p )that exists should be there, but the only way to change it is to demonstrate that women can and do make leaders that are just as good as the male alternatives.

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
LadyBec said:
well colour me stupid for thinking that politics should be about politics. The way that women in politics are treated in Australia (as a general thing) is completly unacceptable, and there is NO WAY that the kind of rampant predujes (yes, I have no idea how to spell it :p )that exists should be there, but the only way to change it is to demonstrate that women can and do make leaders that are just as good as the male alternatives.
stop living in an idilic society and come back down to Earth

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
Generator said:
Nobody will deny that this entire issue has been handled poorly, but he is sick, and given that nobody seems to know how sick we still cannot say for sure whether he fucked it up or not.

Edit: He is the opposition leader, and we aren't considering what ifs. Given that his support or criticisms are of no real concern, why are we crying? The party coped, if not as well as we might have hoped.
even if hes so sick, he could have issued a written statement. quite franky it was bad work all around.

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
azzie said:
people dont care what he has to say about it as long as he says SOMETHING. but he said nothing and that was his downfall.
and yes he can do something about it, thats bullshit if you believe he cant do anything- he might not be the PM but hes the leader of a major political party, if you didnt notice, the one YOU'RE supporting!

ps for your fucking information a tsunami is not a SMALL thing
I didn't mean the Tsunami as a small thing, I mean his reaction to it should be a small thing... as in not the major issue it's become.
Latham isn't in a position to do anything about it right now, all he can do is make a statement, that has no real effect on what the government does.

Lhyviathan

2/cos C
HSC
Ross Cameron had an affair at the same time as chanting family values. The media hardly did a thing.
Lol... that reminds me of what CNNNN did...

"Ross Cameron - He's rooting for you"
"Ross Cameron - Put '1' in his box, and he'll put one in your box"

Bwahahahaha...

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Rudd is a bit too arogant for the top job....hes smart and capable, but there is just something about him which would likely turn off the mainstream voter

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
people are always scared of 'isms' - before it was communism and now its terrorism. howard has nothing to do with fiscal or monetary policy and he doesnt have much to do with border security. he's not a great leader, but because labor is currently so shit, and have absolutely no direction, he can shat all over them. latham, even though he was sick, at the least he could've asked someone to say something for him on his behalf. i know it doesnt matter what his reaction is because hes a nobody (like the rest of the labor party) but the australian public usually empathise with those who care.

spiny norman

HSC
I dunno, Natasha's pretty hot.

I think the fact of the matter is that the media has destroyed Latham. The Tsunami thing is so incredibly minor, but the media has created the news so as to get rid of any semblance of credibility he may have had.

While I do like a lot of what Latham stands for, I think he needs to be replaced as Labor Leader, because I don't think he will ever be able to regain that credibility that the media is stripping away from him currently.

miaomiao

HSC
N/A
azzie said:
ooooomgosh.... okay you seriously need some lessons in politics....
major disaster, and he says nothing about it. not even a written statement. nothing. he just shuts up and says nothing and then hes like 'there is no issue'...... THERE IS AN ISSUE, he didnt address the problem at hand with enough seriousness to even BEGIN to look like someone who could lead our nation!! it was an absolute disgrace, it was close to 'political suicide' for him and his cause
thats bad pr, if ever there was any

ps you're on a racist crusade with the 'poor black people'
your an asshole and im the opposite of racist. I'm saying voting should be compulsory in order for equal representation of the community esp. the underclasses of our society ie. poor as in not wealthy and black as in not white northern beaches sorts like yorself who may not have had the benefit of a private school education and may feel apathetic and not care to vote. Dickhead.

Last edited:

miaomiao

HSC
N/A
Well who are the aboriginies voting for then hey? And in America working class African Americans are they voting for Bush?

miaomiao

HSC
N/A
What I was trying to say before was not that the working class vote labor and the upper class vote conservative but rather that it is better to have compulsory voting for an equal representation of votes come election time and a representative party in government working to further the interests of the whole community

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
We could either elect a Dictator, such as myself, to command our nation with a benevolent and incorruptible hand. Or cede sovereignty to China.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
even though i think it is john howards responsibility not lathams to respond to the tsunami issue, i still think he could have bothered to send his condolences not in work mode but just personally. i think it was a bad move though in terms of popularity but i think the public is expecting a bit too much considering no one in asia would even realise who latham is

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
True, but we know who he is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)