• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Latham's illness (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Well basically Those on the right are the conservatives who believe that things are better left unchanged

The Left support change usually for social benefit

Here are some definitions

Left: those who support varying degrees of social or political or economic change designed to promote the public welfare

Right: those who support political or social or economic conservatism; those who believe that things are better left unchanged

Centre are those who are in between these two ideals

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Idealistically, lefties have a good people. Except the world isn't ideal. Oops.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
thanks Deus and Generator. that was definitely helpful. Hmm, i don't know where i would be. My opinions always changing, i confuse myself. :)

0Jade0

HSC
Latham doesn't need to make a statement he isn't the Government, he isn't the PM. Is there a point of him making a statement? Is it just to make right wing media like the rubbish that is the daily telegraph happy? I doubt that people in the affected areas would know who he is... would they even know who John Howard is? Anyway... in the refugee camps do they have TV? or Radio or newspapers? NO
bloody liberals

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
to break it down:

right-wing is family first.
left-wing is greens.
liberal is watered-down family first.
labor is watered-down liberals.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I get the feeling the only way Latham will have a chance of winning the next election is to raise the Republic debate again.

miaomiao

HSC
N/A
...And if the murdoch press gets off his case or people stop beleiving everything they hear on channel nine news. Theres just so many forces working against him including his own party

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
the labor party as nearly as lost as the democrats. they have absolutely no vision and we're also receding back to conservatism and what has to happen is a culture change by somebody to change that among the youth for revolution to occur.

Jesus!

Jeebus
HSC
N/A
Phanatical said:
I get the feeling the only way Latham will have a chance of winning the next election is to raise the Republic debate again.

I'm not sure. Australians are bent on the status quo. Referendums are very very very hard to pass and they have a very poor record.

If there is any organised opposition to a republic it wont get through IMO.

At the moment it seems that Australians are quite happy with the old line 'if it aint broke dont fix it' line in terms of everything they have.

spiny norman

HSC
Well, given we were much earlier discussing who we'd like to see take leadership, now that it seems inevitable, I'd like to throw my hat in for Julia Gillard. I think she's brilliant and, while I'm not entirely sure if Australia is ready to accept a female Prime Minister, I think the novelty of it could get a few votes her way.

If not her, then definitely Rudd.

Jesus!

Jeebus
HSC
N/A
spiny norman said:
Well, given we were much earlier discussing who we'd like to see take leadership, now that it seems inevitable, I'd like to throw my hat in for Julia Gillard. I think she's brilliant and, while I'm not entirely sure if Australia is ready to accept a female Prime Minister, I think the novelty of it could get a few votes her way.

If not her, then definitely Rudd.

Australia. Vote a sheila in? Not a chance. About as much chance as the US president being black.

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
why wouldn't they vote for a women?
I would have thought that the issues would be concerning policies, not gender.
I'd totally vote for her. but then i'm a) a member of the alp and b) a girl...

miaomiao

HSC
N/A
We've got to get behind Latham all the way if we ever want to see Labor in government while were alive. Dont even start talking about Rudd or Gillard- Latham is our man. Just because the media starts spinning all this crap about his illness doesn't mean its time for a change of leader: the labor party are being a bunch of pussies (again) if they think so. Its time to stick up for themselves (ourselves)

Jesus!

Jeebus
HSC
N/A
LadyBec said:
why wouldn't they vote for a women?
I would have thought that the issues would be concerning policies, not gender.
I'd totally vote for her. but then i'm a) a member of the alp and b) a girl...
You really think people care aboit policies?

I'd love to see Gillard as leader. However I know how the media treats women in politics and how the Australia public would treat her. You only have to look at how Cernot was treated for having an affair (OMG shock horror!)...Ross Cameron had an affair at the same time as chanting family values. The media hardly did a thing.

Pragmatically she will won't be PM for a long while.

Jesus!

Jeebus
HSC
N/A
miaomiao said:
We've got to get behind Latham all the way if we ever want to see Labor in government while were alive. Dont even start talking about Rudd or Gillard- Latham is our man. Just because the media starts spinning all this crap about his illness doesn't mean its time for a change of leader: the labor party are being a bunch of pussies (again) if they think so. Its time to stick up for themselves (ourselves)

Well its either nor or never. I dont think the Australian people warmed to Latham. He is abrasive pisses alot of people off.

miaomiao

HSC
N/A
No one thought the Australian public would 'warm' to Howard back in 1996 but look where we are now. A fourth term of absolute shite.

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
miaomiao said:
i wholeheartedly disagree..... latham does nothing for labor. he doesnt have the presence, manner or ideas to get the labor party into a position of power at which it would rival the libs. sure the PM doesnt have much of a presence/manner but at least he has the ideas (or the people around him do) to get somewhere.
labor need someone who is a older than latham, someone who can clearly and elloquently express their ideas and who is a bit more.... predictable and strong. latham has no real distinct character except none at all, and that scares away the voting public.

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
0Jade0 said:
How does age make a difference?
What are the other options?
well think about it.... labor need someone strong, smart and elloquent. i think the best thing they could do for themselves is find someone around 40-45, distinguished and with a strong character who could smarm and charm their way to the voting public.
im just saying that knowing the way australia votes, knowing who we have in the labor government that could take over, there arent many options. but i think there needs to be someone new and who doesnt have the carefree kinda attitude latham has, and for goodness sake SOMEONE NEW!
i dont think rudd could do it.

miaomiao

HSC
N/A
Its thinking like that which is to blame for the dire state of our nation.

Which 'ideas' do you love more:
The destruction of free and public education, The end of any attempt at reconciliation with indigenous people or the incarceration of little kiddies out in the desert.

You make me sick and so do the voting public.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)