• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Law in University (2 Viewers)

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
from all the courses ive looked at, any two units of english are "assumed knowledge" but a great deal of unis consider advanced english as "recommended knowledge"

while its not necessary, advanced would certainly give you a better preperation for any essay or other writing component of a degree.

however, there are a lot of bridging programs designed too be done before uni in the break after school that can help you make up any lack in knowledge you may have =]

im in year 11 too at caringbah. buddy me haha

Boxes

Banned
HSC
i know a girl who does standard english and wants to do law at uni. :lol:
(mind you, she's also failing standard BIG TIME)

i tried telling her that law isn't suited to her, but she won't have a bar of it. :lol: her loss.

she thinks that because she knows 'big' words like 'dramatic' and 'reinforce' she'll be able to get through it.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Boxes said:
i know a girl who does standard english and wants to do law at uni. :lol:
(mind you, she's also failing standard BIG TIME)

i tried telling her that law isn't suited to her, but she won't have a bar of it. :lol: her loss.

she thinks that because she knows 'big' words like 'dramatic' and 'reinforce' she'll be able to get through it.
Regardless of whether it suits her, if she is failing standard english there's a high probability she won't get in. Failing standard aint gonna give a great UAI.

04er

HSC
I don't think it matters which English you do - as long as you can make your point clearly/concisely and have good grammar and structuring skills. You also need to have the determination to do tonnes of complicated readings.

skynet89

HSC
u dun need gud english to do law. remmmeber wut mummy told you. "you can do nething you put ur mind 2 it."

gud luck xoxo

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Tires asked me a question, the answer to which I'm sure he can find in this thread
Tires said:
I've always fancied a career in law but have been discouraged because I've always thought of myself as being 'not smart enough' for law. This belief has mostly stemmed from the fact that I do Standard English. Do you think, with hard work and perseverance, I can get through the law course despite doing only Standard English?

I think the reason I'm doing Standard is that I've been really lazy throughout my high school education. I've always put in 'just enough' work and I've never really gone the next step. However, I'm determined to change that.

What are my chances of actually getting through the course?

Also, would you happen to know anyone that undertook Standard English at school and was still able to handle law?
Tires said:
Also player, what level of English did you take in High school?
answers from my own point of view:

1. yes, it's a probability, provided you deliver on the hard work and perseverance.
2. same answer as 1.
3. no, i've never actually asked my classmates. but then again, some of them are international students and they seem to handle it.
4. advanced, but that's because in my high school, standard was not offered. i finished with a low band 6 back in 2003.

cheers. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)