law transfer for macquarie university (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

The uni doesn't give a crap about the law faculty because its not a source of international students.
I'm not sure why Law hasn't realised that relying on uni funding is a bad idea. They should take a leaf out of Ancient History's book and get active with getting funds from outside the university proper.

Macquarie funds a small portion of Macquarie staffs' excavations in Egypt; the rest is from the ARC, societies, awards, funds, etc from outside of the university.

No the Uni does care about it, the fault and blame lies squarely with the Law School, all the wounds have been so far self inflicted.
Agree 100%. You can't have a decent law faculty without people pumping effort into it.

It seems like every time I look, there's a new dean of the faculty. :S

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Agree 100%. You can't have a decent law faculty without people pumping effort into it.

It seems like every time I look, there's a new dean of the faculty. :S
Or another split in the ranks lol

krv_90

HSC
That mentality is stupid. If that was the case everyone wouldnt care were they would go and everything would be of equal entry score.
my point is if you want to do a specific degree but dont have the marks you need for your preferred uni then you opt for somewhere else. ive always been told that it doesnt matter where u get ur degree its just doing it that matters.

Monstar

HSC
Only if they had the same quota for students. It's supply and demand, remember. Aren't you supposed to know this shit as a business student? :p

Well it is an accredited course, so /shrug. I personally would never do law at Macquarie, but that's just me. Other people don't really care.
True. But you know what i mean.. probably should've elaborated as to why there are higher entry scores; the perception that uni x is better than uni y.

my point is if you want to do a specific degree but dont have the marks you need for your preferred uni then you opt for somewhere else. ive always been told that it doesnt matter where u get ur degree its just doing it that matters.
Depending on the industry. If you're referring to law or finance/accounting i can tell you straight out the uni you go to does matter. Just look at how melsc is describing the law school of macquarie and yet it seems 'accredited'.. doesnt that tell you there is a degree of quality between unis?

Monstar

HSC
They cut funding all the time, they teach most law subjects with a huge focus on interdiscplinary crap rather than a balance of theory/philosophy/practical elements. The uni doesn't give a crap about the law faculty because its not a source of international students.

Lots of problems, this is why uni rep is crap, the only people who know this are the ppl that go to MQ and yet its rep is better than UWS etc...
Too be fair i think the business and economics (especially economics) reputation is robust.. I think the law school is just suffering.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Too be fair i think the business and economics (especially economics) reputation is robust.. I think the law school is just suffering.
I think though, if some times and effort was put in the law school would be able to increase the rep, we're seeing people from uni's other than USYD and UNSW in promient law positions. The students have argued and argued with the law school, its now up to them. They'd be surprised how much difference a new building, a PLT program and a few teaching changes would make

atreus

HSC
I think though, if some times and effort was put in the law school would be able to increase the rep, we're seeing people from uni's other than USYD and UNSW in promient law positions. The students have argued and argued with the law school, its now up to them. They'd be surprised how much difference a new building, a PLT program and a few teaching changes would make
I would really like to see that report from the external review last year. I don't think a new building would make a difference, and that money could be better spent on teaching and staff.

I don't know what's going to happen to staff now that tut times are being cut down. I have noticed some new names on the staff list, although I know of a few who aren't even on the list, so don't know how good a guide that list is.

Also, I get what you're saying about time, and how eventually people will be flowing through from Mac, UWS, UTS etc. But UNSW's law school is only about 5 years older than Mac Law, yet is considered the best law school. Just goes to show what funding and making it a priority can do.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I was told by one of my academics that many will have their hours cut which means some will have to move on as they cant afford to work for so few hours.

Oh what I meant by the new building is it is more about putting the resources in, our moot court is an embarrasment and when people see the law building it's not a good look. I think an increase in the diversity of electives would also be beneficial

I would love to read that report, the only reason I even was aware was an academic letting it slip when talking about the tute time cuts...subjects like dispute res and litigation will suffer so much.

I've spent so long campaigning alongside MULS to improve things with no avail, I find comfort that I will be out of there soon.

Last edited:

bryandawn

HSC
N/A
Melsc, is Macquarie worth transferring to from UWS? I was thinking, perhaps the only unis that are worth me transferring to would be the Go8 unis + UTS and maybe Macquarie. But apparently, I may be better off staying at UWS if I don't get an offer from any other law school in Sydney. Do have the offer of moving to Adelaide Law School, but not very practical.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Melsc, is Macquarie worth transferring to from UWS? I was thinking, perhaps the only unis that are worth me transferring to would be the Go8 unis + UTS and maybe Macquarie. But apparently, I may be better off staying at UWS if I don't get an offer from any other law school in Sydney. Do have the offer of moving to Adelaide Law School, but not very practical.
It depends on what you want out of it. I'd look into things like the elective choice at MQ (the mq site is down at the moment, click on the handbook link and then L and you will see the law units, the law society MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY LAW SOCIETY etc and see if they look better to you or suit what you want more. I can tell you that MQ has an interdisciplinary approach to law (you'll do a lot of readings like Focault) where as UWS is more practical. The choice is yours in terms of what suits YOU better. I don't really know how much the ranking differs for law between MQ and UWS

bryandawn

HSC
N/A
thanks, I want to learn lawyering skills, don't want to become a jurist. guess UWS would be better for me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)