LAW551 - Professional and Community Engagement (1 Viewer)

astroe

HSC
Hey guys,

I was just looking at the Handbook and saw that in course progression, I needed to do this unit. (Albeit in a few years time.) It doesn't appear to be a "unit" in the traditional sense, I can't find it online or in the book, so can anyone tell me what it is?

I don't think it's PLT because that's after you've graduated and before you're admitted.
It definitely can't be PLT because LAW555 is the capstone unit - the one you "finish" on.

Last edited:

ameher

HSC
Would also like information on this. I have to do this unit in a few years time, except nothing seems to be up about it. I think its a participation unit though were you work for a law firm throughout the semester and gain some practical experience.

andyfg88

HSC
N/A
Hi Guys,

I emailed Archana about this unit earlier this year, she basically said that if you are currently enrolled in the law program there will be no requirement to undertake this unit.

As far as I understand this unit is being rolled out as of 2012 to coincide with the already existing people and planet units it is the "participation and community engagement" (PACE) element.

astroe

HSC
So I guess we do everything else BUT that unit?
Ah well, less HECS, no complaints here. :)

On that note, yeah, I think a recent email from the Dean said something about this.

sean1990

HSC
I believe the last Memo from the Dean directly addressed this.

I would be trying to get a hold of that for more information.

andyfg88

HSC
N/A
Hi guys,

After the Dean's email was sent, I went into the faculty (on the same day) and had a chat to a few people. Basically we have to do this unit, unless you are graduating (or expecting to graduate at the end of this year).

I mentioned that I had enquired about this unit earlier in the year and was told that it was going to be revoked, and they said that when I was told that it was going to be revoked, it actually was but since then it has been reinstated.

I've also spoken to the Dean directly about it and she said she is expecting to address everyone on it towards the end of August.

From what I can gather it basically acts as an elective (so its not an "extra" subject) its just instead of an elective. And its sort of like an internship or clerkship.

All the best guys.

sean1990

HSC
just to conclude- all the above posts at this time are wrong.

all law students will have to do PACE as part of their degrees- but it should be seen as a good thing. It is Macquarie Law School making students go into law firms/legal centres to gain experience which should help with getting jobs and networking.

the assessments will apparently be easy (reflections etc.) and the workload is quite easy- 30hours of experience (paid or unpaid) and a few on campus sessions.

I'm doing it this sem and will let you know how it is.

andyfg88

HSC
N/A

all law students will have to do PACE as part of their degrees- but it should be seen as a good thing. It is Macquarie Law School making students go into law firms/legal centres to gain experience which should help with getting jobs and networking.

the assessments will apparently be easy (reflections etc.) and the workload is quite easy- 30hours of experience (paid or unpaid) and a few on campus sessions.

Sounds good, I look forward to hearing your feedback :)

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
sean 1990, did you get this information from the unit convenor or other academics involved in this unit? if so, this sounds really good to me :D

sean1990

HSC
well the assessments were stated in an email from the Dean. The hours were stated in the application form and the 'easy' part was stated by an academic advisor so I think you can take it as authority.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC

This is pretty much on the money.

These units are still brand new and will be introduced this year to my knowledge. Personally I think they're a fantastic idea and a good opportunity to network with some potential employers.

sean1990

HSC
agreed- Azure do you mind filling in some information in the other thread about 400 level electives ?

rayy_bann

HSC
Out of curiousity, do ALL law students have to do PLT? What if I don't really want to pursue my career towards my law degree but say towards my commerce degree?

And do we get a certificate for PLT?

andyfg88

HSC
N/A
Out of curiousity, do ALL law students have to do PLT? What if I don't really want to pursue my career towards my law degree but say towards my commerce degree?

And do we get a certificate for PLT?
The PLT (Practical Legal Training) is only required for those who wish to practice law upon competition of their degree - it will enable you to obtain a practicing certificate via the NSW Law Society upon being admitted into the Supreme Court for which a requirement is the fulfilment of the PLT. If you don't really want to pursue a law-related career then it would be a waste of time (in my opinion).

I'm not sure if you get a 'certificate' per se for completing the PLT but you will certainly get your practicing certificate from the NSW Law Society if you see the PLT all the way through and get admitted and pay the licensing fee.

Last edited:

rayy_bann

HSC
The PLT (Practical Legal Training) is only required for those who wish to practice law upon competition of their degree - it will enable you to obtain a practicing certificate via the NSW Law Society upon being admitted into the Supreme Court for which a requirement is the fulfilment of the PLT. If you don't really want to pursue a law-related career then it would be a waste of time (in my opinion).

I'm not sure if you get a 'certificate' per se for completing the PLT but you will certainly get your practicing certificate from the NSW Law Society if you see the PLT all the way through and get admitted and pay the licensing fee.
Oooh okay.

Sorry for my ignorance, but if i don't want to be a barrister, but rather a solicitor OR another law related 'office' person...do i still have to do PLT?

HSC
N/A
Oooh okay.

Sorry for my ignorance, but if i don't want to be a barrister, but rather a solicitor OR another law related 'office' person...do i still have to do PLT?
If you want to practise law as a solicitor or barrister then you will need to do PLT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)