lcd or crt for games ?!?!?! (1 Viewer)

equiski

HSC
zco said:
u grow out of games.. so i'd gget a LCD .!!
Funny, but a chronic genralisation. My 70 year old grandfather plays video games every day of the week. Not everyone will grow out of games, or it might take a little while.

As for my $0.02, CRTs are more suited for gaming. It is simple mathamatics:

Zero Ghosting + Versatile Resolution Range = Superior Gaming Experiance

PS: Why must we have 3 active threads about the same stupid topic?

z.co

equiski said:
Funny, but a chronic genralisation. My 70 year old grandfather plays video games every day of the week. Not everyone will grow out of games, or it might take a little while.

As for my $0.02, CRTs are more suited for gaming. It is simple mathamatics:

Zero Ghosting + Versatile Resolution Range = Superior Gaming Experiance

PS: Why must we have 3 active threads about the same stupid topic?
u serious? he plays games that have a demand for a good quality screen and a high end vga ? coz if he doesnt.. why doesnt he just use LCD ?

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
zco said:
its bullshit. LCD are shit. but they save amazingly alot of space. i bouht a CRT, because its clearer, DVD movies are better to watch on any angle, assuming u have ur computer in ur room .. and lie down and fall asleep whilewatch movies..

BUT !!!!

u grow out of games.. so i'd gget a LCD .!!

and also. i wanna add . ."you are building an ultra 2500 computer ?" hahah lame

a computer will be obselete in about 2.5 years, no matter if u spend 1.5k or 3k. it will be gone !.

well duh....everyone knows its an expensive hobby

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
payafee said:
what exactly is a refresh rate?
i'm pretty sure it means (assuming u have a crt) the ammount of scans made by the electrons in a period of time? lol i know its measured in hertz

and it needs to be over 50 htz because thats the eyes refresh rate....lol

i hope i'm right

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
dark_angel said:
the time it takes for the electrons to scan over your screen (assuming u have a crt)

i hope i'm right

MedNez said:
Refresh rate is how many times your display refreshes each second. Most newer computers refresh at 75 hertz (75 refreshes a second), but you can crank it higher if you so desire.

. .

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
I got 17" LCD It's pretty good. I'll prefer my LCD over my old CRT anyday but i guess everyone's got personal opinions. Whatever suits you I guess.

^___^
HSC
lcd don't use the concept of "electrons hitting onto your screen to produce colors" anymore

LCD stands for liquid crystal display, so i'll let you figure out the concept behind it :)

and if you want to see the impact of refresh rate

as i said earlier in some thread, move your mouse across the screen quickly, and watch the cursor...

CRT will be near perfect
LCD will have a line of cursor

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
i bought an ACER AL1715 TFT LCD monitor for $400 off ebay.com.au

now the trouble is finding someone to buy my SONY TRINITRON 200ES

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
haha i see that now you have finished your hsc

you are going to engaged your time wisely playing games hehe

im still playing games haha -__-"

Arvin Sloane

We are not amused.
HSC
jonathan109 said:
Get a Samsung 172x 17" LCD monitor, with a refresh rater of 12 ms, it is an ultimate LCD for games, guranteed.
Great monitor, huh? Two of them are even better. :)

I encourage the people who still think CRTs are somehow better to, how should I put this, wake up and smell the liquid-crystal. Maybe a fear years ago your argument such as "OMG LCD R GHOSTING THEY ARE TEH SUCK! CRT R BETA TEHY GIVE SUPR HIGHZ REZ AND STUFFZ" where valid, but now they are not. Modern TFT-LCD are more then adequate for all that you could use it for.

Its sad how jealously effects people, isn't it?

So buy yourself a nce TFT-LCD. You will feel better for it.

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
CRT are better for games and dvd'z period ... which was the thread question ... ngeh

equiski

HSC
Arvin Sloane said:
"OMG LCD R GHOSTING THEY ARE TEH SUCK! CRT R BETA TEHY GIVE SUPR HIGHZ REZ AND STUFFZ".
You forgot about price.

Edit: And dead pixels.

Last edited:

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
equiski said:
You forgot about price.

Edit: And dead pixels.
Price: decent 17" LCD with 12ms response time = $360 - it may depreciate ~30% ($100) over the next year or so.
Dead pixels: BenQ has a 7 day 0 dead pixel warranty, CMV has a 30 day 0 dead pixel warranty - not sure about others.
Response time: going below 12ms is near-useless unless you have very very keen eye.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
wrx said:
And that lcd's look shit in anything other than their native resolution.
You wouldn't really use it in anything other than its native resolution anyway. 1280x1024 looks perfect on a 17" LCD. Even 1024x768 looks pretty "large" - remember 17" LCDs are only 2.54cm smaller than 19" CRTs.

dritz2003

HSC
N/A
Right now I would buy a CRT, you can get some decent bargains, I got a new 19" flatscreen for $250, an LCD with the same specs would cost at least twice as much.
I would say wait until LCD technology really matures before buying one. I would really like the extra desk space though :)

equiski

HSC
dritz2003 said:
Right now I would buy a CRT, you can get some decent bargains, I got a new 19" flatscreen for $250, an LCD with the same specs would cost at least twice as much.
I would say wait until LCD technology really matures before buying one. I would really like the extra desk space though :)
Exactly :].

~ ReNcH ~ said:
You wouldn't really use it in anything other than its native resolution anyway. 1280x1024 looks perfect on a 17" LCD. Even 1024x768 looks pretty "large" - remember 17" LCDs are only 2.54cm smaller than 19" CRTs.
Sure, I bet the desktop looks gorgeous in 1280x1024 resolution, but since the topic of the thread is "<i>lcd or crt for <b>games</b> ?!?!?!</i>" , it isn't really relevant. Depending on the game, a person has to adjust their res for the best image quality vs framerates balence. For example, while my FX5200 will be happy playing HL2 at 1280x1024, I need to drop the res for both FarCry (1024x768) and Doom 3 (800x600). Meanwhile, our friend dark_angel will probably have some new generation geforce or radeon in his "ultra computer", he may want to play in 1600x1200.

BTW I'm not bagging LCD screens, I own one. Just objectively, CRTs are still superior for gaming.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Price: decent 17" LCD with 12ms response time = $360 - it may depreciate ~30% ($100) over the next year or so.
Dead pixels: BenQ has a 7 day 0 dead pixel warranty, CMV has a 30 day 0 dead pixel warranty - not sure about others.
Response time: going below 12ms is near-useless unless you have very very keen eye.
Remember, the response rating of 12ms is the QUICKEST the pixel will repsond, so generally it'll be slower than that. So you may want to rethink that. Also graphics cards are getting much faster, no point in have a 6800gt and then having a laggy lcd.

grimreaper

HSC
I've seen the sub 16ms lcd's playing both games and movies and can seriously see no lag or anything - the only downside to lcd's is the price as far as I can see

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)