Lead acid cells (1 Viewer)

pqd

HSC
Hi guys. So according to my textbook, a lead acid cell is made up of lead grids containing either spongy lead or lead dioxide. My question is why doesn't the anode grid take place in the reaction, and also why doesn't the lead dioxide simply react with the cathode grid it's sitting in?
I know this isn't really needed for the syllabus but I'm simply curious and I don't like having holes in my knowledge. Hope you can help. Thanks.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Hi guys. So according to my textbook, a lead acid cell is made up of lead grids containing either spongy lead or lead dioxide. My question is why doesn't the anode grid take place in the reaction, and also why doesn't the lead dioxide simply react with the cathode grid it's sitting in?
I know this isn't really needed for the syllabus but I'm simply curious and I don't like having holes in my knowledge. Hope you can help. Thanks.
The anode grid will react with acid, as the Sulfate ion is more electronegative than the Lead, meaning it wants more electrons, but of course there is a limit. This is also the reason why the electrons are released in the reaction. Hence this forms the precipitate of Lead (II) Sulfate.

The Cathode grid will also react with the acid in a similar manner forming more Lead (II) Sulfate. However, since the Lead (IV) is already ionised, the extra electrons will need to be added, allowing Sulfate to form the precipitate of Lead (II) Sulfate, since the Lead (IV) has a lack of electrons in the lattice.

It doesn't "simply react" as you need the extra electrons to form the precipitate.

Any questions, feel free to pm.

My question: Are you a 2014'er or 13'er? (Your profile say 13'er).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)