Leadership: Natural or Acquired? (1 Viewer)

Do you think leadership is a skill that is:

• Natural?

Votes: 22 55.0%
  • Acquired?

Votes: 18 45.0%

• Total voters

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Do you think leadership is a natural or an acquired skill, and why? Do you think it's something that's built into one's personality or something influenced by one's environment? What do you believe are the qualities of a good leader...do you think they come naturally or must be "learned"?

tempco

HSC
as with most things, leadership is a combination of both. imo, it's all about exposure to certain circumstances. but of course, it depends on a person's temperament, and his/her tendencies/confidence/etc, but to a lesser extent, seeing that you can train yourself to become confident and the like.

leadership is an acquired skill.

joeylike2hiphop

joe-king4eva~~~~
HSC
hmmmmm

i think that to some extent that people can learn or adapt to be leaders but i think that the greatest leaders of all time are born with this skill.

ishq

brown?
HSC
a bit of both.

ability + opportunity

As with most things :)

Götterfunken

HSC
I think everyone has hit the nail on the head. Like all skills it’s a combination of both. I think very few people are born with it, but most can learn it, if only to a degree.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Would you say that everyone is capable of learning to be a leader? Or that even the ability to do that requires a certain personality?

klaw

HSC
I would say that not everyone can be a good leader. e.g. Shy people who rarely talk at all or people who do not give a damn.

still waiting

HSC
i think that its a mixture of both things,
some people are born with the natural ability to take charge and to be the leader of the group but some people learn to be good leaders because of situations and life circumstances eg some responsibilities that u take on can mean that ur more likely to be a leader depending on the type,
i think though that people have to have the right temperment and personality to be a good leader, eg if u chuck hissy fits every five minutes then noone would respect u and listen to therefore ur not a good leader.....

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
People can be natural leaders. But people can also learn to be leaders, however, natural+experience > acquired+experience, I believe.

carpediem

HSC
a bit of both but there are some people no matter how much leadership skills they are taught they will never be good.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Would you say leadership requires more than just being a good role model with high personal standards and a good moral background? I've always perceived leadership as setting a good example and earning respect from people around you, but in the workplace I'm guessing there's more to it than that: an adventurous spirit, risk-taking, an outgoing attitude.

baby_pea

HSC
kind of both
like a spoilt brat would usually be very, errr...demanding, a bit snobby, but a good leader - born with it, or learnt?

white_spazzy

but why?
HSC
those with particular personalities are naturally good leaders, however without development and use of those skills the person will not be a leader to the full extent of their potential. however this does also apply to all traits within a personality, if a child is naturally opinionated and possibly exerts the traits of a good lawyer, yet they are taught to be quiet and with-hold their opinion then they will not develop to the full extent of their natural ability.

the qualities of a good leader are dependent on your personal interactions with leaders or leader-style figures, the one quality i see as important in a leader is the ability to relate to the people without power...empathy is good in any social situation

thus leadership is a natural skill that has to be developed for the full extent of its use

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
It's natural but can be crafted and moulded. Promoting public speaking and independany thinking strengthens a true leader. Some are made to lead, some to follow but we are all human and have attributes of both positive and negative tones...

(No I'm not trying to be George Orwell or Aldous Huxley -_-)

klaw

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Would you say leadership requires more than just being a good role model with high personal standards and a good moral background? I've always perceived leadership as setting a good example and earning respect from people around you, but in the workplace I'm guessing there's more to it than that: an adventurous spirit, risk-taking, an outgoing attitude.
hahaha depends on what you mean by a leader. I doubt being adventurous and risk-taking would make you a good manager :p

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
nick1048 said:
It's natural but can be crafted and moulded. Promoting public speaking and independany thinking strengthens a true leader. Some are made to lead, some to follow but we are all human and have attributes of both positive and negative tones...

(No I'm not trying to be George Orwell or Aldous Huxley -_-)
Can someone who is intellectually and psychologically made to follow, simply due to their personality, lead? It appears as though it would be difficult for a natural "follower" to acquire the skills to lead, but then again it may be possible.

white_spazzy

but why?
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Can someone who is intellectually and psychologically made to follow, simply due to their personality, lead?
it is likely to be argued that it is the intellectual and psychological traits that make the personality thus would this person not already have the intention to follow?
the intellectual and psychological traits are part of the personality, i dont see how they can be seen as seperated? they tend to mesh into one anotehr to affect each other...and there are normally specific capasities associated with particular personalities, thus having particular personalities more tended to leadership.

HSC
i believe its natural, my mum thinks im a natural leader but i just laugh at her

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
mmm... i really think its natural. its usually brought out by circumstance... some people just naturally move to the fore... others follow

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
A very value that a leader holds is charisma...I believe that charisma cannot be learnt, you are born with it, and mature with it. Some ppl may have charisma, but dont know how to show it, because they are too shy. There are certain characteristics of a leader that can be 'learnt' to an extent, but I think being a leader is something that grows over a long period of time. You cant just wake up one day and decide you want to be a leader, you have to be patient, set a good example, and make people realise that you are capable of being a leader.

In primary school, i was a nobody, by no means can i look back and say i was a leader, but as soon as i reached high school, the teachers, and my parents both made me realise what i had, so i allowed what i had to come out, in turn i have become a leader, school captain in fact.

Now im not blowing my own trumpet, simple answering the query, that is how i see it. We are moulded as leaders as we grow up, but we are born with the important qualities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)