Learning language while at Uni (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I want to learn Language while at uni but I don't want to do a course related to one.

Is there anyway that I can do some formal course(s) outside uni to learn language?

The language that I want to learn is Japanese. I used to be quite good at it but not coming back to the language in the past 4 years really got my brain off the subject.

I have been thinking about going to Open High School while at uni to undertake Japanese Beginners or something. Do you think it would be wise to do so?

What course can I take if Open High School is not the way to go?

BTW, I don't really know which forum I should place this thread into. Please move the thread if it needs to be moved. Thanks!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
But that's like a course at university, isn't it? I already have a certain uni course that I want to do...

nandayo

ismist
HSC
Mm, yes it is - but to be honest, what you'll learn in the entire Japanese Beginners course you'd learn in the first unit of a Diploma in Languages. Besides, you can study a DipLang alongside the degree you want to do at uni. For example you could be doing a BSc and study for the DipLang part-time whilst you complete your other degree.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Mm, yes it is - but to be honest, what you'll learn in the entire Japanese Beginners course you'd learn in the first unit of a Diploma in Languages. Besides, you can study a DipLang alongside the degree you want to do at uni. For example you could be doing a BSc and study for the DipLang part-time whilst you complete your other degree.
Oh that sounds good. Would it be quite heavy in terms of workload though?

How many hours should I expect...what do you reckon?

spence

HSC
If you're after a less formal approach, consider tafes, community colleges, etc. At USyd you can do languages through the Centre for Continuing Education, which afaik is less formal than the regular courses

witide

HSC
Well I'm doing an engineering degree starting this year, but I wanted to do a language as well. It was only an extra year to do it combined with B Arts though, so I added that onto my degree and am starting Modern Greek this year alongside my engineering.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)