Learning prerequisite maths for Engineering (1 Viewer)

drainbammage

HSC
So i just finished my HSC and I really want to do Civil Engineering, but I only did 2u Maths and Physics, so I'm really motivated to learn all the 3U and 4U maths that directly applies to Civil as well as taking a bridging course. So in the 4 month break which order should i learn all these topics? Im fairly proficient at 2u topics and i believe i could have easily handled 3u.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
The main thing is having that skill set that students attain from completing MX1 and MX2. There are quite a few things from most of both syllabuses that you will be able to gain experience from and also keep in handy for future understanding.

However, there are also some sections which are not as helpful.

I encourage you to complete all of MX1 through a textbook of some sort. If you are a capable 2U student, then you should be able to comfortably cover MX1 slowly over time in the next few months (shouldn't need to put in excessive effort if you are a good 2U student).

With MX2, maybe try out a few topics. Advanced graphing techniques, complex numbers, polynomials, volumes, integration and mechanics are all useful and you will go in depth with a few of these topics in your first two years of uni.

drainbammage

HSC
The main thing is having that skill set that students attain from completing MX1 and MX2. There are quite a few things from most of both syllabuses that you will be able to gain experience from and also keep in handy for future understanding.

However, there are also some sections which are not as helpful.

I encourage you to complete all of MX1 through a textbook of some sort. If you are a capable 2U student, then you should be able to comfortably cover MX1 slowly over time in the next few months (shouldn't need to put in excessive effort if you are a good 2U student).

With MX2, maybe try out a few topics. Advanced graphing techniques, complex numbers, polynomials, volumes, integration and mechanics are all useful and you will go in depth with a few of these topics in your first two years of uni.
Are there any topics in 3u that i shouldnt bother with? Like circle geo and perms and combs.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
It would be good to know the basics of circle geo. Maybe you can go through that section quite quickly.

Probability and occurrences is something you can use to get those extra marks in exams. It becomes more useful usually later on so if you have the time, have a look at it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)