Learning to drive a manual (1 Viewer)

williamc

HSC
Evilo said:
id say about that, i've done <1hr so far and i've mastered clutching, upshifting, and some down shifting. All i need to work on is low speed stuff, refersing and hill starts (i dont think will be too much of a problem).
i take it as you are a 06'er you already have your provisional license so it is a bit different for you in driving a manual in which you already know how to manuver a car, as you already had your auto license.

I doubt after 1 hour you have "mastered" clutching though.

Evilo

HSC
williamc said:
i take it as you are a 06'er you already have your provisional license so it is a bit different for you in driving a manual in which you already know how to manuver a car, as you already had your auto license.

I doubt after 1 hour you have "mastered" clutching though.
nah mate, ive never driven before. City boy - evil parents - always taken the train. Never needed a car

EDIT - i wouldn't say ive mastered it compeltely, but im pretty much there, tbh it wasnt *that* hard.

Last edited:

bv

HSC
lol u have all put me off even trying a manual.. finding it hard enough to stay in my lane lol

blacksunset

HSC
my parents attempted the manual thing
my driving instructor told them i would fail miserably :)
so they gave up.. and i drive an auto

skynet89

HSC
all i said was i practice hillstarts by starting on an incline? how else do you do it. it's not like i sit there burning my clutch all day. make sense much?

williamc

HSC
markzada said:
lol ... do u still love me ?
course mark.

Evilo said:
nah mate, ive never driven before. City boy - evil parents - always taken the train. Never needed a car

EDIT - i wouldn't say ive mastered it compeltely, but im pretty much there, tbh it wasnt *that* hard.
That would be tough learning to drive a manual in the city.

But yer i didn't really find it hard either. Although i do ride motobikes.

Pace_T

HSC
i-love-maynard said:
I'm learning manual, am poorly coordinated and my instructor has a very, very thick Indian accent. So hard :(
my first instructor had the thickest accent ever also, but it was sum wog accent. all i could make out was the fuck, shit and stop! words in his sentences lol.........
my proper instructor (from a VERY well known driving school) also spoke like that, but at least he was a full yobbo with an aussie accent, so i could understand him..

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
My driving education was in fits and starts (I did 10 hours with an instructor and then didn't drive for like 2 years, then another 10 and then driving with my dad), but to get it smooth and right every time, without the "OMG I HOPE I DON'T ROLL BACK OR STALL" panic feeling every time you take off on a hill? Months.

Then again, I don't use the handbreak for hill starts. YAY FRICTION POINT

saram

HSC
im like most people on here and it only took me a couple of hours to get take offs and hill starts but i did begin in a barina which are heaps easy to drive. i just bought a 75 model VW beatle. this one is a lot harder to take off and do hill starts in as u have to rev the car a lot more. so really i think it depends on the type of car u are going to learn in and ur own coordination skills.

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
Try learning in an Aussie V8 with a heavy clutch e.g. XR8. Or on a racing clutch e.g. R33 GTR.

I sort of had it after an hour on each. But it wasnt an "omg I mastered the clutch" sort of thing.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
... not many people would have access to those sorts of cars, and i really REALLY wouldnt suggest learning to drive in a high powered car.

cuppas

Apprentice Mechanic
HSC
few things
autos have a torque converter. bit different to a clutch
and mitsubishi made the triton

as for instructors, im learning with trent driving school, with a holden astra turbo diesel. its easy as pie to learn on, but i still manage to stall it at times with seven lessons done

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)