Lecture pad or exercise book (2 Viewers)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
lecture pads if you're organised. books get in the way but that's just for me

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
noneother said:
Which type of lecture pad do you all use though? I used the letter writing types with the red gel thing at the top of the pages (which holds it together). They seem kind of dodgy.
There are lecture pads that have the following features (IMO, I like them best, but it depends if you htink it would suit your needs or not)

- hard plastic cover
- double spiral bound (single spiral is so flimsy)
- feint ruled with margins (Margins just neaten everything up and its useful for numbering)
- at least 180 pages
- fine perforations on side for tear out A4 pages. (fine enough to tear out but not so fine that the pages pull out easily.)

The flippy ones with red gum really arent protective of the paper and and wears easily. The pages are also often too fine.

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
I just use the one book... It's always a five-subject notebook, though, and I tend to just shove any loose sheets into one of the pockets. It's an organised mess that I only ever review when an exam is near, but that's life. Every now and again I use a plastic folder (and I always carry one in my bag), but that's only for administrative forms and the like. A usb flash drive carried on a key-ring is about the only other item that I use on a regular basis.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I just print off the notes from BB (OMG, I'm officially in love with BB), and then scribble anything I need to all over them.
However, removed from that, last yr I had a 5-subject book for lecs, and a 5 subject book for tutes/labs. However, this year, I just have a lecture pad (cardboard cover, spiral bound at the top, ruled, with holes to place in a binder) and I'll just take it (in a plastic envelopey thingy with any printed notes, pens, etc) and remove everything every so often and place in my big lever arch files (one for each subject)

mishka

HSC
N/A
who's a lefty and finds spiral bound books hard to write on?? at the moment, i'm looking at a lecture pad that's just bound normally down the side, but one i can still take pages out to put in folders.

hopefully orientation week will give an idea of how people work this whole organisation thing out!! :D

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I'm hearing ya, Mishka.
I swear, they should make books with the spiral binding on the right hand side of the page, just so we can write properly...the left spiral binding is why I went for a top-bound pad this year.
Oh, and don't expect O-Week to be helpful, all in all its an excuse to drink (HA! Like we need it!!) and for academics to ramble on with complete crap (you'll soon get used to it)

mishka

HSC
N/A
lol, there's no bar at ACU, so it should be ok!! :p

i'll keep an eye out for those top-bound spiral pads because they would be great!! i'll have to find out whether or not there are left handed desks in the auditorium otherwise i'll just have to twist a bit to the right :) it's not fair!! leftys make up about 50% of the population these days!!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Do we really? I never knew that!!

I'm not sure about ACU, but I know in the tute rooms at Newcastle (and supposedly the lecture theatres) there are a *few* lefty desks (but, *groan*, I've never got them...you soon adjust to writing across yourself). Oh, but the best invention, instead of the twisty-uppy-desks, ones that you lift up, sit down, and then place down in front of you, they go right across you, and they officially rock.

mishka

HSC
N/A
yeah, that's what i've been told anyway, could be statistically wrong, but it wouldn't be by much i don't think!!

my plan is to sit on the left hand side of the auditorium, so i can twist to the right and sort of be facing the right way as well. :) i guess we could always turn a side-bound spiral book upside down, so the spirally bit is on the right... :rolleyes: but then there's usually a bigger margin from the top of the page than the bottom, if you get what i mean!! :D

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
OMG, its so awesome to hear I'm not the only one that has contemplated that!!

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC

are these the lecture books you are all talking about. spiral on top or side

Last edited:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
yup, thats it, top spiralled, no need to try and write over the spiral (only the holes, but thats no biggie)

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
i meant in general it was only by coincidince that i got the top one for the lefties.

megsy86

HSC
Which folders are the best?

I think i'm going to use spiral bound, binder (hole punched) lecture pads for lectures and tutes and then put my neat or rewritten notes in a folder for each subject. Only is a big folder necessary for each subject or will one of those smaller folders be big enough? Also i'm doing a science course so what is the best option for pracs? Just lecture pads or botany books? to be put in their respective subject folder under a divider? Whoa, so much organising, so little time.

tomekz

HSC
CitYgiRL said:
(eg. "this example is very useful, wink wink").
That aint obvious enough for me....... Id rather a kick then a wink! :D

Getting back on topic.... Do u really have to right everything the person says? or is it whatever you want to right?

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
I always grab a wad of paper out of the recyling bins and scribble on the back of it.. then I type the notes up at home and like clairegirl said, organise it into a plastic sleeve per lecture.....

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
yup, thats it, top spiralled, no need to try and write over the spiral (only the holes, but thats no biggie)
why not turn it over and work from the back of the book... then the holes wont be under your hand right???

mishka

HSC
N/A
i looked at buying one of those but i didn't think it would give me enough room to write everything in it for a whole subject. :confused:

i'll probably stick with the binded lecture pads - won't get squashed in my bag when i'm travelling to and fro. :uhhuh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)