Lecture pad or exercise book (1 Viewer)

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
At university is it better to use lecture pads or exercise books? Do you even read through what you've written?

CitYgiRL

HSC
Loose leaf paper is best to put in a folder, cause if you miss a lecture or two you can copy the notes and put them in the right place.
I read through what ive written, but mainly just the really important stuff.
Its a good idea to write little hints or important things that the lecturer gives you (eg. "this example is very useful, wink wink"). Ive found that really helps to decide which material to study hardest.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
another vote for loose leaf paper
but it depends on the person really. Give each a try in first semester and stick to the one that suits you best

DV8

HSC
Definately loose-leaf paper...
1. As already mentioned, if you miss a lecture you can simply copy the notes later and put them in the right order.
2. If you want to lend notes to a friend you can give them to required pages rather than your whole book.
3. No need to remember which books to bring on which days... just keep a respectable amount of paper in your bag.
4. If your having one of those 'messy days' you can scribble notes during the lecture and rewrite them later when your in a better frame of mind. :p

It's not important to write down EVERYTHING the lecturer says but its really handy to write down any references and examples they give you. If you don't understand any part of the lecture, mark it and either ask the lecturer about it or do some research yourself... don't leave it until exams to work it out! Also, if you are able to download your lecture notes beforehand its really handy to skim read them so all you have to do is listen to the lecturer and fill in the gaps :)

GirlGoneMad

Kitten Kong
HSC
I'm going to use loose leaf paper for the reasons Citygirl and dv8 said. It is easier for me to organise and keep in order.

Last edited:

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
you can be a nerd and goto KopyStop and the Copycentre to buy your subject course notes early :D

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
lecture pads - good for writing stuff in math tutes
loose leaf - good for personal notes
a4 paper - to print ur lecture notes
exercise books - good for math exercises

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I used excerise books in first semester then lecture pads in second semester ... and personally i found the lecture pads to be easier to use cause they fit eaier on the little tables than what the excerise books - plus it was easier to rip the pages out.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
i don't use either of them

i used those spiral folders with the plastic sleeves in them....

i write on the lecture slides they provide for us and i write down extra notes along side of them.... (if i have time or if i can be bothered) i'll type these up and put them in their respective slip (i use one slip, one lecture) and it's great you just pull them out when exam time comes out and study all of it!

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
I personally use exercise books. I do all my lecture notes and tutorial work (the stuff that doesnt have the be handed in) in them. Its easy for me because it means all my notes for a subject are in the same place and in chronological order. Plus in the subjects I do I dont really get any loose leaf handouts, so it means storing them isnt a problem.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Im planning to use double spiral bound A4 lecture books with a hard plastic cover...

= Jennifer =

HSC
i am planning to use lecture pads as well because then i can rip the notes and store them away in a binder folder and when i come to write my study notes i will use a book...so really all i will be taking to uni is a lecture pad and a pencil case and a display folder to keep my handouts neat and tidy and someother stuff which i am unable to think of now

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
Which type of lecture pad do you all use though? I used the letter writing types with the red gel thing at the top of the pages (which holds it together). They seem kind of dodgy.

j4x0r

HSC
personally, i prefer the lecture pads with the spiral bind because the lecture desk thingamajigs are too small for me to open an exercise book and have my notes lying around while i try to concentrate and write stuff, the spiral bind pads saves me some space :D

= Jennifer =

HSC
noneother said:
Which type of lecture pad do you all use though? I used the letter writing types with the red gel thing at the top of the pages (which holds it together). They seem kind of dodgy.
yeah i am going to use those ones but A4 size because i will be ripping it off by the end of the day to file away anyway

doe

HSC
N/A
yeah i use the a4 spiral bound lecture pads, 128 pages, and usually that is too much. i am far far to lazy to be effective using loose leaf, i would lose most of my notes. as someone pointed out the desks in lecture theatres arent very big, nowhere near as big as the desks you use at highschool. they are shorter than a piece of a4 paper, or perhaps the size of a piece of a4 paper on its side.

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
= Jennifer = said:
i am planning to use lecture pads as well because then i can rip the notes and store them away in a binder folder and when i come to write my study notes i will use a book...so really all i will be taking to uni is a lecture pad and a pencil case and a display folder to keep my handouts neat and tidy
yup- thats the way i'm going to do mine as well.

lecture pads: scribble stuff down during lect/tut/seminar

book: rewrite scribbled stuff properly; problems

plastic file folder: stores sheets

except im going to bring this folder that allows u to store sheets for 5 different categories; has a lecture pad; has a penholder; lets u store floppys; and u can stick post-it notes on it too. =) and it looks very professional hehe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)