leehuan's All-Levels-Of-Maths SOS thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leehuan

HSC
Seems a bit rigorous though to test for values... even though yes this is an MX2 question...

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Seems a bit rigorous though to test for values... even though yes this is an MX2 question...
They probably wouldn't mind in MX2 if you just assumed it was monotonically increasing, unless that Q. was worth a lot of marks.

leehuan

HSC
f(x)sin(x) = c for some constant c is not doable algebraically right? (for f(x) is some polynomial)

seanieg89

HSC
Another MX2 problem

Progress:

By symmetry about the y-axis, it suffices to show the circle just passes through S.

Since AB is the diameter of our circle, it suffices to show ASB is a right angle, which you can do just by multiplying gradients of AS and BS.

This does it v.quickly.

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
By symmetry about the y-axis, it suffices to show the circle just passes through S.

Since AB is the diameter of our circle, it suffices to show ASB is a right angle, which you can do just by multiplying gradients of AS and BS.
Of course! I was hoping that someone would find a circle geometry trick for me. Thanks!

seanieg89

HSC

Edit: Note that we have skirted over the issue of existence and uniqueness of a solution, as we are not given enough information about S or boundary conditions at infinity for this PDE to be well posed. (Note that adding to our solution will give us another solution for instance. This integral formula is the natural approach though if S is nice enough for our problem to be well posed, as the resulting solution will also vanish at infinity, and it will be the unique such solution.)

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
I can't quit BoS I need seanieg and InteGrand and co.

Is this correct? If so, is there a neater way to express this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)