leehuan's All-Levels-Of-Maths SOS thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

laters

HSC
N/A
Only the case for (-1,0) but the whole question is again given (with a previous part)

You must be doing math1151 too?? haha I got stuck on this for a bit too. I just used a GP summation

since we're not considering this when x=1. then the top is negative, and so is the bottom! so when you divide it it's positive.

Of course it would work for basically all the cases except x=1 where you would have to sub it in the original. it's just 5 which is positive anyway :)

EDIT: woops just saw it was already done by integrand, pls ignore

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC
And the relationship between these conditions and invertibility:

A function is f is surjective <=> it has a right inverse.

A function f is injective <=> it has a left inverse.

And a function f is bijective iff it is invertible.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Lol thanks everyone. I ended up doing this:

Let x=-b, 0<b<1
RTP:1-b+b^2-b^3+b^4

1>b implies 1-b>0
b>0 allows multiplying by b^3: b^4-b^3>0
b>0 also implies b^2>0
Sum them up.

Getting confused with what I learnt. Someone please break down surjective functions for me, and injective just means one-to-one both x and y (therefore inverse function exists for the maximum domain) right?
Injective: For every value of x in the domain, there exists one unique corresponding value for y in the codomain.

Surjective: For every value of y in the codomain, there exists at least one corresponding value of x in the domain.

leehuan

HSC
Oh cool. Reading both of your definitions cleared it up for me much more. Thanks again!

You must be doing math1151 too??
Lol just to clear that up, look at my sig

leehuan

HSC
Useless post in my own thread: Lol I feel so dumb at maths now.

Notation question:

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
More stupid questions... I should just chill with the maths for tonight but.

1. How would I prove that a function is injective and surjective? Trying to prove that f(x)=x^3+3x+1 has an inverse over \mathbb R. (Without graphical approach)

All I thought about is f'(x)=3x^2+3 is positive so f(x) monotonic increasing. Is that enough?

And

2. Forgot how to use dy/dx.dx/dy=1
f(x)=2x+cos(x) and g=f^-1. Find g'(1)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

1. How would I prove that a function is injective and surjective? Trying to prove that f(x)=x^3+3x+1 has an inverse over \mathbb R. (Without graphical approach)

All I thought about is f'(x)=3x^2+3 is positive so f(x) monotonic increasing. Is that enough?

And

Inverse function theorem: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_function_theorem#Statement_of_the_theorem .

Last edited:

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

And

Check out what I did in the Elementary Thread.

A function is injective if and only if

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
Oh crap. THAT was how to use the inverse function theorem. Ok I will sleep to recover.

Thanks again to responders.

Also, @Para the statement that a function is injective iff f(x)=f(y)<=>x=y - I have seen it in my lecture. But I kept scratching my head cause I'm not sure why it works.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Oh crap. THAT was how to use the inverse function theorem. Ok I will sleep to recover.

Also, @Para the statement that a function is injective iff f(x)=f(y)<=>x=y - I have seen it in my lecture. But I kept scratching my head cause I'm not sure why it works.

Last edited:

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Because in an injective function, every element in the domain and co-domain can only occur once. Thus, every pairing is unique. So f(x) = f(y) is logically equivalent to x=y, otherwise, that would contradict the definition of an injective function.

leehuan

HSC
Oh my goodness... of course... I am so foolish

leehuan

HSC
Followup to Q1.

This just sounds like HSC MX1. I can assume f is surjective like above and then use my knowledge of turning points to determine intervals that allow it to be injective as well right?

seanieg89

HSC
Yep exactly. Because we want our domain to be an interval, the turning points of the cubic are "bad" in the sense that f is not injective in any inteval containing either of these turning points in their interior.

Elsewhere we don't have a problem, because f is piecewise monotonic, so the intervals are precisely the three intervals that these two turning points cut the real line into.

(And then just apply f to each of these intervals to get the domains for the respective inverse functions.)

leehuan

HSC

Followup: Obviously arctan(x)+arccot(x) becomes a piecewise function. How do I justify that this isn't the case for arcsin(x)+arccos(x)? Does it basically just have to do with the fact arccot(x) is undefined for x=0 but continuous everywhere else?

Last edited:

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Followup: Obviously arctan(x)+arccot(x) becomes a piecewise function. How do I justify that this isn't the case for arcsin(x)+arccos(x)? Does it basically just have to do with the fact arccot(x) is undefined for x=0 but continuous everywhere else?
Um... Complementary angles prove it by definition...

As for arccot, it satisfies the complementary angles, but two different cases for positive and negative branches.

leehuan

HSC
Um... Complementary angles prove it by definition...

As for arccot, it satisfies the complementary angles, but two different cases for positive and negative branches.
Wow. I thought I was missing something but that was bad from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)