legal dictionary (1 Viewer)

Chimelle

HSC
Which legal dictionary would you recommend a first year law student to buy?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
IMO wait until you start uni and see what your lecturer/facility recommends. I personally bought a LexisNexis one but I wasn't studying hardcore law.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Most people at UNSW use LexisNexis however I use the Oxford one because it came with the book pack.

enoilgam

HSC
I have the LexisNexis one as well and it does the job in my opinion. If you are a Law student you should definitely have one - it will probably come in handy when you are a practicing lawyer as well.

RookieLaw

Audit.
HSC
I've got an oxford legal dictionary, does the job and came with my intro law textbook.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
don't need one... the only book I actually recommend buying is the Australian Guide to Legal Citation 3rd edition... you can pretty much download it for free in PDF form from the Melbourne Uni website...

better thing to do would be to:
- Familiarise yourself with all the databases (LexisNexis, CaseBase, Austlii, etc),
- Make an effort to make it to every lecture and tutorial and do most to all tasks assigned to you,
- Familiarise yourself with the library and use it... (Get to know the librarians as well, they help heaps)
- It's next to impossible to do ALL! the readings so be selective on what you read

if you really want one, there is a free Android app... I'm sure there would be one for apple as well... probably can't reference it, it is good for a clarification during a lecture or something... google is your friend when the lecturer is talking jibberish...

Last edited:

Caligula

HSC
Wait and see what you're uni lecturer recommends. Most of them are rubbish though.

If you must do some prereading check out Strunk and White's 'The Elements of Style', good for learning the art of plain english. Will set you back $10 new.

lawstu

HSC
Some universities provide access to online legal dictionaries, so you might be able to not shell out money for that just yet, if ever.

From my understanding, LexisNexis' Concise Australian Legal Dictionary is the most popular among law students in NSW - at least those that make themselves heard on the web. The Oxford Australian Law Dictionary is second to it but by a large-ish margin.

Personally, I find that most dictionaries - that including the aforementioned two - are about the same and, for all intents and purposes, are the same. I find the CALD indeed concise, more so than the Oxford one. It can also be said that the Oxford one is more thorough and detailed (unnecessarily so?).

I recommend refraining from all buying books until semester starts, unless otherwise advised by course convenors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)