Legal Studies HSC Exam (1 Viewer)

Rabbitoh

HSC
I reckon, based on some of the surprises in essay questions this year in other subjects, we need to be careful what we study and what we try to memorise. I really would not be surprised, and am sort of expecting, an 'alternative' style of essay question in Legal. The Board are trying to crack down on people pre-preparing essays and regurgitating them in the exam without thinking.

Thoughts?

jellybelly59

HSC
I reckon, based on some of the surprises in essay questions this year in other subjects, we need to be careful what we study and what we try to memorise. I really would not be surprised, and am sort of expecting, an 'alternative' style of essay question in Legal. The Board are trying to crack down on people pre-preparing essays and regurgitating them in the exam without thinking.

Thoughts?
LOL if anyone walks in with prepared essays for legals they aught to shoot themself LOL

lotsasmiles

HSC
It would not surprise me if we got something alternate. The BOS has been particularly nasty this year IMO. Fingers crossed its effectiveness of the law or law reforms.

sam5

HSC
It would not surprise me if we got something alternate. The BOS has been particularly nasty this year IMO. Fingers crossed its effectiveness of the law or law reforms.
nonono.

plz be something like : analyse the ways in which consumer law protects consumers from legal harm, including a discussion on the methods of consumer redress.

thats would be nice. I dont like all that shit at the bottom of the syllabus (reform, effectiveness, morals).

Crimes shit, i hate it. Law and society should be ok.

HSC
continuity and change is awesome too

i reckon they will try something tricky but if you know the content, cases, articles you'll be fine. It also helps if you can think outside the box a little, and apply logic to the question

stunner

HSC
LOL if anyone walks in with prepared essays for legals they aught to shoot themself LOL
HAHA I'm walking in with two prepared essays... but going over everything in the syllabus regardless... there are patterns to what they ask i.e. World order- legal issues and remedies is in pretty much every question from 2001-2008 and Family as if it's not going to be law reform... but two and two together.. recent reforms to same sex relo's- legislation was passed just months before they wrote the HSC. I do reckon nobody should go just in with an essay... I reckon memorize an essay and be very familar with everything else.

HSC
yesss effectiveness and law reform ftw!!

Evertonian

HSC

Thoughts?
They cannot deviate too much away from the standard "Evaluate the effectiveness of ______" question.
The past 5 papers its pretty much the same question just worded differently. So when you study, study the topic like

Occupational Licensing - Definition, Cases, Legislation, Evaluation - Protection, Equality
Unfair Contracts - Unconscionable Conduct, Duress, Undue Influence etc, Cases, Legislation, Evaluation
Deceptive Marketing - Bait and Switch, Definition, Legislation, Cases, Evaluation, Media Reports
Credit Providers
Statutory Controls ie refunds and all that

Non Legal Measures
ACCC
NRMA
Office of Fair Trading

And when you do it that way, your studying the entire syllabus, rather than making notes under the dot points. :D

daniieee

HSC
They cannot deviate too much away from the standard "Evaluate the effectiveness of ______" question.
The past 5 papers its pretty much the same question just worded differently. So when you study, study the topic like

Occupational Licensing - Definition, Cases, Legislation, Evaluation - Protection, Equality
Unfair Contracts - Unconscionable Conduct, Duress, Undue Influence etc, Cases, Legislation, Evaluation
Deceptive Marketing - Bait and Switch, Definition, Legislation, Cases, Evaluation, Media Reports
Credit Providers

Non Legal Measures
ACCC
NRMA
Office of Fair Trading

And when you do it that way, your studying the entire syllabus, rather than making notes under the dot points. :D
^ Yep yep pretty much lol. Consumers is probably the topic I'm most comfortable with, thank lord for the major overlap with Business Studies. Crime and family are the topics I'm worried about. Does anyone have any idea what sort of questions they're likely to ask? Currently I'm only prepared for Law & Justice and Consumers.

Evertonian

HSC
^^ Look at my response for the topic "how answer" in the family section. I put up stuff for law reform.

Also, if they ask a question on legal issues and remedies, you must took about the aforementioned issues (in my last post) and NON-LEGAL measures. Remember, the legal system stipulates that you can go through a multitude of NON-LEGAL measures (arbitration, ACCC etc) in order to protect consumers.

If theres a question on reconciling conflict, its all the non-legal measures plus statute and common law to prevent conflict.

verdades

HSC
The past 5 papers its pretty much the same question just worded differently.
So when you study, study the topic like

Credit Providers

Non Legal Measures
ACCC
NRMA
Office of Fair Trading

This is exactly what screwed some people up in SoR, apparently. Apart from those who went "Mohammad wtf", others found they didn't get what was being asked because they'd been studying past papers and this was different. The people saying they got it fine prove that it's possible.
So that advice is a no-go.
And it's true that maths had some strange ones in it, like nothing anyone's seen in the last 15 years, screw 5 years.

Basically, know your shit and be able to write it down and adapt to the question.

Chapppo

HSC
Despite the current trend this year, i would be massively surprised if they did not ask an effectiveness question for the last two essays, however they could try to mix it up a little in the crime section.

Evertonian

HSC
This is exactly what screwed some people up in SoR, apparently. Apart from those who went "Mohammad wtf", others found they didn't get what was being asked because they'd been studying past papers and this was different. The people saying they got it fine prove that it's possible.
So that advice is a no-go.
And it's true that maths had some strange ones in it, like nothing anyone's seen in the last 15 years, screw 5 years.

Basically, know your shit and be able to write it down and adapt to the question.
The advice is good, considering i said if you study my method your covering the syllabus, hence "knowing your shit".

MzBiiBii

HSC
Despite the current trend this year, i would be massively surprised if they did not ask an effectiveness question for the last two essays, however they could try to mix it up a little in the crime section.

yeah I reckon if there's a twist this year....it might be in Crime...

the core topic... especially the last two questions

HMF

Señor CAFS Dude
HSC
I'm thinking they are going to look at the major themes of the course? Especially Continuity and Change. I saw in the marker's guidelines for one year they mentioned it in a question and the candidates fucked it up big time. So maybe that's something that may come up?

verdades

HSC
The advice is good, considering i said if you study my method your covering the syllabus, hence "knowing your shit".
Yeah xD.
I was only paying attention to the bit about "they've had this for the last 5 years, they won't change it", sorry. Because they are changing the normal questions. [I'm not going to do an angry face 'cause I approve].

Your advice does cover the syllabus, but yeah, that first bit, expecting everything to be the same as past papers... 90% chance it ain't gonna happen.

Evertonian

HSC
Ok, so continuity and change? If they ask that wth do we mention...

Law reforms in relation to change...?

verdades

HSC
Yeah

Evolution of the law, influence of social/political/economic/moral factors, doctrine of precedent [ie how it can prevent change, or create it] and processes for how the law is changed.
Evaluating the effectiveness of everything as you go.

ayehann

Procrastinator
HSC
ive had an inclination this year were gunna get themes for a while now... or should i say different themes since effectiveness of the law is also a theme.
I rekon it will either be conflict and cooperation or continuity and change

Venom.

HSC
Why the fuck would you bring in pre-prepared essays for Legal?

The syllabus points ain't that hard to remember/gain an understanding of, and you can crap on for ages if you get an effectiveness essay, which would be bloody brilliant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)