Legal Studies Multiple Choice Q11 - Isn't it Justice? (1 Viewer)

BringSexyBack

HSC
N/A
Multiple choice question 11)
Which is an outcome of the applicaiton of the rule of law?
a) Certainty
b) Equity
c)Fairness
d) Justice

I thought the answer would be d) becuz I went through some textbook just then, and it says Justice = equity and fairness.
Equity & fairness is goods answer, but wouldn't Justice be the closest to right answer?

What do you guys think?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
BringSexyBack said:
Multiple choice question 11)
Which is an outcome of the applicaiton of the rule of law?
a) Certainty
b) Equity
c)Fairness
d) Justice

I thought the answer would be d) becuz I went through some textbook just then, and it says Justice = equity and fairness.
Equity & fairness is goods answer, but wouldn't Justice be the closest to right answer?

What do you guys think?
i asked my teacher about this one and she said it was a fucking stupid question, depending on how you argue they are all equally as right as each other.

I put equity

betonit169

My Username Sucks....
HSC
i put fairness... coz the rule of law is that everyone is equal.. treated fair... yea iunno

iluvGG

HSC
yeah, i put justice. when i first read the question, without looking at the options, i immediately thought the answer was equality. but when that option wasn't there, i thought justice was the closest thing to it.

but agree, really stupid question. .

jessy4aidan

HSC
i put justice 2. heaps of ppl are sayin it is fairness but.. i still think its justice..
silly question i think

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
^^

hm, everyone picked different answers, this is not encouraging

Muchi

HSC
I can't even remember what the HELL I put for that question. I changed it at the last minute. My first choice I remember was Equity. They're all so FREAKING ALIKE. I think Fairness is the closest to the right answer though. I looked it all up in my textbook and fairness means treating everyone equally.

iluvGG

HSC
I was taught that 'equality' meant treating people equally and 'fairness' meant achieviNg equal outcomes for people, but not necessarily treating them the same to achieve that. So I really don't think it's fairness. That's just my opinion. I'm sticking with justice. Seriously weird question.

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
I'd say the most correct is certainty. PROCEDURAL fairness, yeah, but certainty is a surer answer.
RoL might have very lofty and immeasurable claims behind it, like the justice, but one of its primary outcomes is certainty of the law - prospective application, access to written law, consistent application etc, such that you can plan your actions accordingly.

I'm bored and felt like answering

HSC
ccc123 said:
I put certainty. Only because I remember reading "when the rule of law exists, law is applied with certainty and generality.' But meh. Stupid question.
yeah same

i just assumed since fairness + equity = justice (or natural justice)
then certainty was right by default

charlesdinio

HSC
Ive had a chat to a few teachers who have marked legal hsc before, they all agreed on fairness:

becauseee..

"the rule of law refers to a series of fixed legal principles and not the arbitrary exercise of power by organisations and individuals, thus it must be applied equally and impartially so that no one is above it"

fairness = equal outcomes for everyone

iluvGG

HSC
but being treated equally does not necessarily result in equal outcomes.

e.g. parking fine being equal for everyone has more impact on a poor person than a rich person.

charlesdinio

HSC
iluvGG said:
but being treated equally does not necessarily result in equal outcomes.

e.g. parking fine being equal for everyone has more impact on a poor person than a rich person.
thats known as instituonalised inequality, but in relation to the rule of law - regarding leadership and the government of a country - all people are to be treated equal, or else theres a massive breach of the rule, i.e. politicans being treated favourably - no rule of law exists

Kelly47

HSC
Ah I hated this question. I was really tossing up between fairness and justice... I don't remember which one I ended up going with, I think I put justice. :/
I hate legal studies MC, they always do this, every year. D:

kony

HSC
in this presentation earlier this year to 1st year usyd law, Nicholas Cowdery who is director for public prosecutions said "rule of law = just (i.e. justice-rendering) rule of law".

believe it's d.

shakky15

HSC
i put fairness.

justice seemed too obvious/sweeping statement sort of thing. rule of law = justice?? i think justice requires a little more than just rule of law. however, rule of law can provide fairness.

meh .. legal multiples, what did people expect.

shakky15

HSC
kony said:
in this presentation earlier this year to 1st year usyd law, Nicholas Cowdery who is director for public prosecutions said "rule of law = just (i.e. justice-rendering) rule of law".

believe it's d.
often the syllabus/BOS has nothing to do with the real world.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)