Legal Studies or Senior Science? (1 Viewer)

esther609

HSC
Hello, I'm in Year 11, officially starting Year 12 in 2 weeks time.
I'm considering dropping Legal Studies to Senior Science.
This is because my English isn't that great and I'm not passing the average in the exams.
I don't personally really like science that much but I'm more of a logical/mathematical person than literal subjects.
So should I drop LS and do SS???
because I herd SS scales really bad?
I need a lot of helpful advices ASAP
Thank you

IDFWU

HSC
If you think you're more of a literal person, choose legal studies. It does have a lot of content you need to sink in during year 11 (vital for year 12) but it's basic knowledge, basically just definitions and stuff. Senior science is a mix of chem, bio and physics which can be annoying if you do not enjoy or not interested in just general science. Personally, I reckon legal studies is a great subject if you're passionate and work hard for it, you need to know your shit though. It gets way better in year 12, e.g crime and in human rights you study certain issues and write essays about them for e.g genocide, asylum seekers, child soldiers, torture, religious discrimination (focusing more internationally, e.g role/effectiveness of human rights or UN, UDHR, ICCPR, ICESCR). if you do not find this interesting, go for senior science. :biggrin:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Being not so good at English doesn't necessarily mean you will do bad in other subjects requiring essay writing, because English involves textual analysis-which some people may find it fundamentally hard to grasp why so much attempt is made to extract much meaning out of what should be a simple enjoyment of the text itself. I think rather than considering dropping right now, you should probably consider getting a decent English tutor to rectify your current situation rather than let your poor performance in one subject subsume into other areas. If you are not so passionate about science, there's not much point in forcing yourself to do it for an entire year.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Both scale bad, you need to get high internal ranks with high external ranks to get a high overall HSC mark. So. Just choose base on which one you are better at and which one you enjoy.

ad_321

HSC
Both scale bad, you need to get high internal ranks with high external ranks to get a high overall HSC mark. So. Just choose base on which one you are better at and which one you enjoy.
Bad? I thought Legal scaled decently compared to Business/the histories.

IDFWU

HSC
I think Legal studies scaling is moderate/average not 'bad', you shouldn't really worry about that anyway if you're getting top marks.. but it definitely scales better than senior science and subjects like business etc

margotmc

HSC
I'm about to finish year 12 but i do both senior science and legal studies and although I do well in english and essay writing, legal is by FAR my worst subject. There is so much content in legal that I find really hard to remember such as all the legislation and i'm not interested in the political side of it, whereas I find senior science to be my easiest (and favourite) subject even though I absolutely hated science in year 7-10. Senior science is more about learning the basics of bio and chem so its easy to do well in if you just do dot points summaries. Don't worry about what subject scale up or down, it's more about how well you actually do in them so choose the subject that you think you will be able to succeed in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)