• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Legal Studies Predictions (9 Viewers)

bbmiffy

HSC
what are the chances we get a hyper specific question like 2019s ‘explain how post-sentencing considerations seek to balance community interests and individual rights and freedoms’ bc i think i’ll have to just up and leave if we get smth like that

hihglightermmmm

HSC
what are the chances we get a hyper specific question like 2019s ‘explain how post-sentencing considerations seek to balance community interests and individual rights and freedoms’ bc i think i’ll have to just up and leave if we get smth like that
I dont get the stress over crime its literally only 15 marks if you smash every other topic regardless youll still go well

nsw..wollongong

dentista 😍🫶
HSC
Anyone else just gonna risk it and memorise like 3 crime topics instead of 5?
u can do a 2-in-1 method! i memorised case studies that fit into more than one topic, like ctp AND sentencing/considerations then just manipulated my argument around it. so id keep the sm media references, quotes, legislations, etc to save the amt i had to memorise.

utopianimal

HSC
u can do a 2-in-1 method! i memorised case studies that fit into more than one topic, like ctp AND sentencing/considerations then just manipulated my argument around it. so id keep the sm media references, quotes, legislations, etc to save the amt i had to memorise.
could u pls share queen? if u dont mind pls and thanks

nsw..wollongong

dentista 😍🫶
HSC
could u pls share queen? if u dont mind pls and thanks
yesss ofc so an example that i used was young offenders to fit almost any topic from crime they could throw at me. eg. for post-sentencing id talk about diversionary programs:
  • Such programs aim to divert offenders away from the criminal justice system and towards rehabilitation, while also reducing recidivism rates to effectively achieve justice. For example, in New South Wales, the Young Offenders Act 1997 and the Mental Health (Forensic Provisions) Act 1990 provide the legal framework for diversionary programs. The Youth Justice Conferencing program and the Court Integrated Services Program (CISP) involve the victim, the offender, and their respective families, as well as a trained facilitator, in a conference aimed at repairing the harm caused by the offending behaviour. The CISP aims to address the underlying causes of offending behaviour, such as drug and alcohol abuse, by providing offenders with access to support services and treatment programs.
then if i wanna include young offenders in a ctp questions id say the exact sm thing with an added case:
  • R v. Ben – community service was served, volunteering, regular councelling (psychology) on a process of 9 months - then 12 months alter he had not committed a single offence (this is not a soft option because he did lose his guns - Meets society's needs as it is therapuetic and looks on underlying dactors of crime as opposed to combatting the crime itself. Not “soft” on youth offenders). – mag in children’s court case.
so if they gave me a ctp question, sentencing question, or young offenders question, i'd use any of the above info in my essay.

another example of a 2-in-1 method is to talk about legal aid. legal aid cases can be used in a young offender, ctp AND sentencing considerations question. i said something like:
  • define what legal aid is, it fills the gap of ___
  • how is the criminal trial system built on the backbone of fair and equal representation for all: Dietrich v. The Queen 1992 (Cth) and R v. McInnes 1971 established the notion of the right to a fair trial (as per the application of the rule of law) through accessibility to legal representation as per Legal Aid Commission Act 1979.
  • Legal Aid NSW provides ....
  • USE STATISTICS I PROMISE U WILL BE GRADED DOWN IF U DONT: the system is underfunded and insufficient to meet demand, meaning many people that are eligible for legal aid do not receive it, limiting the potential of the criminal trial process to achieve justice for individuals, despite 423,431 total client services (2021-22) provided by Legal Aid NSW…
  • then id include a case where legal aid successfully achieved the rights of the offender (CTP), where it was unsuccessful and led to an unfair sentence due to lack of adequate and professional representation (sentencing and consideration), and id make at least one of these cases related to young offenders to fit a YO question.
one more example is R v. Silva. im telling u this case fits each and every question u can get on ctp or sentencing. it talks about mitigating factors, being served an appeal, judicial discretion, public and media involvement, suspended sentencing, prolonged court procedures, domestic violence, everything.

Risze

HSC
hey everyone, how many body paragraphs would you do for the crime essay? as its only 15pts, is two fine or should there be at least three?

Legendary16

HSC
hey everyone, how many body paragraphs would you do for the crime essay? as its only 15pts, is two fine or should there be at least three?
2 should be fine, though 3 may be recommended as you'd be able to cover more syllabus areas

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 7)