Length of response for HSC (1 Viewer)

cloud edwards

HSC
So my teacher said the average for responses must be around 8 pages or 1000 words for paper 1 and 2 of advanced English. Anything under that cannot achieve a band 6. Is this true?

I can only manage to write around 4-5 pages or around 700-800 words for each response. Any tips for writing faster? And how does everyone hold their pen, because i've noticed some people hold it differently which makes them write faster?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
So my teacher said the average for responses must be around 8 pages or 1000 words for paper 1 and 2 of advanced English. Anything under that cannot achieve a band 6. Is this true?

I can only manage to write around 4-5 pages or around 700-800 words for each response. Any tips for writing faster? And how does everyone hold their pen, because i've noticed some people hold it differently which makes them write faster?
I usually write around 900 words for an essay which is 6-7 pages and I did fine for our trial 1 so your teacher's words aren't really true. However less words means it needs to be mostly quality because it's less words to prove your point.

Also I hold my pen weirdly like I've never seen someone else hold it the same, but don't try and change because you'll just write slowly

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Try experimenting with different pens. You may find a different pen will enable you to write faster.

I hold my pen in a really weird manner and am pretty sure that it would slow most people down.

rubyp

HSC
It depends on the quality of what you write, but generally having more words gives more space for deep analysis so I definitely would be aiming for 1000 words
Also if you find your hand starts to hurt when you write long responses look at the way you hold your pen, I found that I was gripping mine in a weird way that would hurt my wrist so now I always make a conscious effort to hold it between my thumb, pointer and middle fingers. Also having a few different sized pens helps to stop cramping when writing essays

HydricAcid

HSC
To write faster, ensure you're writing efficiently. A nicer pen will definitely help: check out gel pens, rollerballs, fountain pens, and felt tips if you haven't already. However, technique is king. The best way to improve is to go back to basics, forming letters slowly but consistently, then just writing a ton as fast as you can while still being neat. Personally it wasn't so much that I couldn't move the pen fast enough, more that it would look like scribble if I went faster, so focusing on improving the legibility went a long way towards my speed.

Kezzam

HSC
I'm doing advanced English and I struggle to get 4 pages let alone 8. it depends on how big your handwriting is. I can fit at least 10-15 words a line with my handwriting so therefore my pages will be limited. if you have the average handwriting of 7-10 words a line then you should be able to achieve about 5 pages in the 40mins for an essay/ response.
try adjusting your grip on the pen or find a pen that glides over the paper easier.
goodluck
p.s. remember its quality over quantity

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)