• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Lets Make a Complaint about the poor scaling of SDD.. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonathan109

HSC
N/A
Casmira said:
Most things they teach has no relevance and is stupid ... and if your not keen on computers youre keen on doing programming, not learning "OH&S"

thats why we got this random girl coming first in SDD not one of hte programming nerds, they're getting 2nd, 3rd and im getting 5th (out of 40)

good on her for putting her head down and beating us

edit:

this is also proven because for example this guy who kills evryone in tests got like 20/40 for the programing assignment, and i got 31/40, the test he got 80% i got 76% ;)

and unforutnatley the major project has very little say on your UAI, mainly the tests do :(
You're a total dumb ass, did you realise that? You should't even deserve to do this subject, as sunny stated, it's about a good process of design, and implementing a well formed solution, not sit on the computer and code. You think you're smart? A good Computer Scientist/Software Engineer does not have to be the nerdiest and brightest programmer who codes, taking on those roles does not mean you're a whiz at programming, it means you can handle projects really well and how to approach things in a effective manner furthermore, this girl who's coming first in your class, obviously has more brains than you do, because with the thinking you have, you'll come last soon enough.

HSC
sunny said:
You forget this subject is Software Design and Development, with the emphasis on the "Design", not the "Development"

SDD is akin to Software Engineering, where the focus is on project management and good program design.
I meant it has no relevance too people like me who just jump in for the fun of using a computer and making programming

jonathan109 said:
this girl who's coming first in your class, obviously has more brains than you do, because with the thinking you have, you'll come last soon enough.
No shit sherlock, I admitted that she's beating the other people who the view the subject totally different than she does

and no I wont come last, my position has gone the same since my half yearlies so you're wrong

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
Casmira said:
I meant it has no relevance too people like me who just jump in for the fun of using a computer and making programming
Then there is no use blaming the subject not being what you wanted it to be - you made the wrong choice in picking the subject.

HSC
sunny said:
Then there is no use blaming the subject not being what you wanted it to be - you made the wrong choice in picking the subject.
never suggested the blaming

I just said some people view the subject different as others, and hence not as many people are destroying the subject and in the end bringing a lower scaling

sunny

meh.
HSC
You voiced your opinion very strongly before....but I can see the edit now :)

HSC
maybe i missed out a sentance but I thought you people having a go at me for my opinions of SDD

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
My opinions on SDD:

- It aligns fairly well due to it generally being a more difficult subject
- It scales decently, even if it is one of the most difficult it doesnt mean it will scale high, its scaling is effected in my opinion because people choosing it dont have a fair indication on what will be taught, possibly thinking it will be like computing studies in year 10. There is also people who choose it just to play on computers.

PublicUser

Banned
HSC
what was the scaling like last year? i remeber thinking it was hard and id screw up but i got a band 6. so scaling worked for me.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
PublicUser said:
what was the scaling like last year? i remeber thinking it was hard and id screw up but i got a band 6. so scaling worked for me.
You are confusing scaling with aligning. Aligning is where your raw mark in the exam is changed and is the mark reported as your HSC marks. Scaling is done by UAC to calculate your UAI. No one gets scaled marks

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Hey, at least they have a computers subject at all. I'd be annoyed if they didn't.

HSC
acmilan said:
My opinions on SDD:

- It aligns fairly well due to it generally being a more difficult subject
- It scales decently, even if it is one of the most difficult it doesnt mean it will scale high, its scaling is effected in my opinion because people choosing it dont have a fair indication on what will be taught, possibly thinking it will be like computing studies in year 10. There is also people who choose it just to play on computers.
year 10 computing is similar too computing studies 3unit IN SOME ASPECTS

for example we where taught start/stop in flowcharts and begin/end in psuedocode, that only happend in 3u computing studies course prior 2001 syllabus (as my SDD teacher tells me)

disco_dave

is the disco_king!
HSC
i think IPT copped it worse than SDD. stupid me picking to computer subjects that arent worth very much!! actually all my subjects were crap

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Casmira said:
year 10 computing is similar too computing studies 3unit IN SOME ASPECTS

for example we where taught start/stop in flowcharts and begin/end in psuedocode, that only happend in 3u computing studies course prior 2001 syllabus (as my SDD teacher tells me)
As evident by this years HSC, algorithms/psuedocode/flowcharts make up very little of the SDD course

jonathan109

HSC
N/A
disco_dave said:
i think IPT copped it worse than SDD. stupid me picking to computer subjects that arent worth very much!! actually all my subjects were crap
Computer subjects aren't bad, but just take a broader look to the people who do it, whether it be IT (VET), IPT, or SDD, they are great subjects, but the quality of the students are shit hole. Why? Turning on your computer, Instant Messaging, Downloading MP3's, or Formating your PC and re-installing Windows, does NOT render you as being erudite in the nature of computing, however unfortunately there are numerous people who believe they're tech experts, and thus choosing these subjects, as well as carrying in the thought that, they can ace the subject with minimal or possibly no study, is what pulls these subjects being poorly scaled.

For IT(VET) and IPT, i blame students, for their inane thoughts. But however for SDD, i blame schools for not having adequate trained teachers, which is quite a prevalent and critical issue, but i also blame students, for not taking their own initiative. I believe at this state, SDD does serve some challenge, and is good in one way, it gives you a taste of what tertiary education is 'sort' of like (i'm talking about the non-spoon feeding atomosphere). But one more critical factor is, kids are mis-informed with what exactly is taught in this subject, and what's essentially expected.

First of all, if you're an extremely experienced programmer, that does not mean you'll cane the subject, one big mis-conception, and second of all i believe students should be informed that this subject, isn't about teaching you how to code in front of a PC, it's essentially about how to approach things, and what is really behind the sheets of software development.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
jonathan109 said:
the quality of the students are shit hole.
Is. "the quality of the students is shit hole."

HSC
exactly, an ace programmer wont go far in the test, maybe in major project, but the HSC is on paper as is the trials ...

i know what you mean, i had a big head saying id kill everyone in SDD But it just showed how little i knew about vb6, i worked relatively cramming prior tests too get where i am in the subject now

yes there is alot of inexperienced SDD teachers
yes i beleive students should take their own initiative

I have yet to have had 1 theory lesson term 4 for SDD, im worried so what am I doing? Im buying excel SDD and im going to go over the work myself
what else am I doing? I bought $50 VB programming learn book and im doing that over summer holidays, 30min a day for a month is plentiful too refresh/improve my skills

i always see lots of holes in SDD where youre taught something and you can go so much further
ie. i didarrays in my year 11 yearly prog and we just learnt them now

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
An ace programmer will do very well, as long as they study the theory and such.

HSC
Im talking about an ace program on their own, ie. lets call him Bob

Bob will go into class with a head the size of a beachball, will do the practical tasks in 15minutes while everyone takes 45minutes and sit rest of lesson looking on the internet, and never studies

Bob will ace everyone in the programming assignment

Bob will fail theory exams and theory HSC ;D

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
Casmira said:
Im talking about an ace program on their own, ie. lets call him Bob

Bob will go into class with a head the size of a beachball, will do the practical tasks in 15minutes while everyone takes 45minutes and sit rest of lesson looking on the internet, and never studies

Bob will ace everyone in the programming assignment

Bob will fail theory exams and theory HSC ;D
You're full of shit. Why dont you stop being so silly.

It only took me 2 mins to do the practicals from class.

HSC
Fosweb said:
You're full of shit. Why dont you stop being so silly.

It only took me 2 mins to do the practicals from class.
Im using an example, idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)