• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Lets Make a Complaint about the poor scaling of SDD.. (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
It's OK Sunny, I agree with you. But remember you lost every SDD student on these boards bar 2 when you mentioned Big O. Which exactly demonstrates your point of SDD NOT teaching _good_ program or algorithm design.

Let the monkeys to their typewriters return...

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
And return they shall; to type out the complete works of William Shakespear, no doubt.

HSC
I think they should increase how much coding is worth, because really if all you do and know is VB you wont go far, but they should seriously just make half assignment is on your code, other half is your documentation

i had my year 11 yearly major project, out of 40 marks, the actual program was like 8 marks, now seriously i could of done the best documentation on earth and get 32/40 without a program

you could "plan" a program but that doesnt mean you necessarily CODE it

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
SDD isn't about coding, it's about developing software solutions to problems. Anyone can learn a programming language and be able to code, it's what they have to code that is the problem. Hence the abundance of programmers and shortage of systems analysts. However I see your point and SDD is a very difficult course however there should be a purely coding course on over for those truely interested in the actual programming of software solutions

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Casmira said:
I think they should increase how much coding is worth, because really if all you do and know is VB you wont go far, but they should seriously just make half assignment is on your code, other half is your documentation

i had my year 11 yearly major project, out of 40 marks, the actual program was like 8 marks, now seriously i could of done the best documentation on earth and get 32/40 without a program

That is purely based on your school. There is no set amount, my school for one assesment gave half the marks for coding. But in SDD what should be tested when doing a project is what is in the third topic, developing of a solution package. In this, there are heaps more important things than simply writing code, so naturally coding should not be given the majority of the marks as it is not supposed to take up the majority of the development time.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Casmira said:
Back to what I said before....

sunny said:
You forget this subject is Software Design and Development, with the emphasis on the "Design", not the "Development"

SDD is akin to Software Engineering, where the focus is on project management and good program design.

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
The reason lies in your own post Casmira.

If coding were worth more, people would worry about coding. People would suck at other, more important aspects of the 'design' of software.
Such as the management of it, the simplicity and elegance of it, the legalities of it.

I cannot see how anyone could possibly 'go far' with a course that emphasises coding only. The course is fine. Stop all your persistant whining. It's really giving me (and other endowed with more than half a brain) the shits.

To shit on another of your pathetic and stupid examples: You cannot document something which does not exist. If you had actually read the syllabus, programming isn't the only emphasis of an assignment. There's a number of stages of the Software Design and Development process, so I think that the development stage, being given 1/5 of the total marks, is probably well justified.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I think the general misconception arising here is that Coding is all thats done in computing courses and/or in the profession and that its the most important task in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)