Liar, Liar, Tyres on Fire (2 Viewers)

CieL

HSC
I just hate it when people won't take responsibility for their actions.

A scenario like this is just the reason why my mum wanted me to get my P1s asap. Once people see your L plates they act like a total dick around you.

I guess I was luckier as I had my plates before they had to be displayed outside.. so I'd shove it in the deepest darkest corners of my windscreens.

bassistx

HSC
lol... People do take advantage of learners.
So my mother went to a Legal Aid centre today. And she got this pamphlet... I went through it and hit a brick wall.
Claims have to be made within 6 years of the accident. If the driver is under 18, they have to make claims within 6 years of turning 18.
I'm 17 so basically this means that I can't apply for anything.

I called up Legal Aid/Legal Access and asked wtf to do. Finally, they said whoever's name is registered for the car (my mother's) will do it for me. Phew.

What we have to do now is write a registered (via post) letter of demand (pay up or else) with quotes (of how much the damage is.. by a couple of mechanics) and send it off. He has 7-14 (depending on how lenient we want to be) days to respond to it. If he does not respond, we can take him to court and claim default judgment. This is what I've understood so far.

There's a difference in the courts though. His damages are over 10K so it'd be in the General Division. Ours is under 10K so it's in the Small Claims Division.
He's going to cross-claim though, I'm sure of it.

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
bassistx said:
lol... People do take advantage of learners.
So my mother went to a Legal Aid centre today. And she got this pamphlet... I went through it and hit a brick wall.
Claims have to be made within 6 years of the accident. If the driver is under 18, they have to make claims within 6 years of turning 18.
I'm 17 so basically this means that I can't apply for anything.

I called up Legal Aid/Legal Access and asked wtf to do. Finally, they said whoever's name is registered for the car (my mother's) will do it for me. Phew.

What we have to do now is write a registered (via post) letter of demand (pay up or else) with quotes (of how much the damage is.. by a couple of mechanics) and send it off. He has 7-14 (depending on how lenient we want to be) days to respond to it. If he does not respond, we can take him to court and claim default judgment. This is what I've understood so far.

There's a difference in the courts though. His damages are over 10K so it'd be in the General Division. Ours is under 10K so it's in the Small Claims Division.
He's going to cross-claim though, I'm sure of it.
anyways, good luck! people like that fucken desire shit! (clearly taking advantage of a young inexperienced driver).

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
bassistx said:
Are you kidding me? We still don't have a lawyer yet. This is going to take years by the looks of it. My mother's supposed to see the lawyer today. Hope it goes well.

The guy is 48.
Spoke to highway patrol, you should have called the cops(your Local Area Command) immediantely and told them you were in a car accident and one of the vehicles was undrivable/badly damaged and they would have had to come.

So yeah it's word against word and is a bit more complicated in the courts now.

Last edited:

CieL

HSC
Wooz said:
Spoke to highway patrol, you should have called the cops(your Local Area Command) immediantely and told them you were in a car accident and one of the vehicles was undrivable/badly damaged and they would have had to come.

So yeah it's word against word and is a bit more complicated in the courts now.
I can't find it in the thread now, but I thought that bassistx did call the police but they didnt bother to come or something..

lala2

Banned
HSC
I sympathise with you bassistx. It's very simple people, she was aiming to turn left and the turning lane was very wide, with cars parked on the side (though how is that legal to park on a turn I'm not sure?), so she drove in the middle of the turning lane to avoid the parked cars, and the stupid idiot tried to overtake her on the left-between the parked cars and her!

Hopefully it'll work out, I agree insurance is expensive and not worth it for small damages but I'm surprised your parents don't have enough savings considering the approach they're taking? Any family contacts or school friends whose parents are lawyers? Maybe they'll help out even if they don't agree to handling the case itself.

bassistx

HSC
lala2 said:
I sympathise with you bassistx. It's very simple people, she was aiming to turn left and the turning lane was very wide, with cars parked on the side (though how is that legal to park on a turn I'm not sure?), so she drove in the middle of the turning lane to avoid the parked cars, and the stupid idiot tried to overtake her on the left-between the parked cars and her!

Hopefully it'll work out, I agree insurance is expensive and not worth it for small damages but I'm surprised your parents don't have enough savings considering the approach they're taking? Any family contacts or school friends whose parents are lawyers? Maybe they'll help out even if they don't agree to handling the case itself.
Yeah, that's exactly what happened. Thanks for the advice etc.

Someone called the police, I don't know who it was. They came and so did the ambulance and those tow-truck people. Was anybody else meant to be there?

bassistx

HSC
Erh.. yes, I do... But I was turning and he came out of no-where. So he must've been in my blindspot at that moment or something.
What ever happened, I wasn't at fault. That's all.

bassistx

HSC
Bulbasaur said:
i fucking love you bassistx
Want a ride? lol

But seriously, guys.... We've been going 'round and 'round in circles with this. We still haven't written a letter of demand (we need to get quotes on the damages from some mechanics first).
Do any of you people with fantastic writing flair care to write me a letter?

bassistx

HSC
yer8899 said:
wait, so you check your blind-spot, and yet he was in your blind-spot and you still ran into him. hmm.....
Did you read every post in this thread, by any chance?
Because I don't like to repeat myself when I'm in this kinda mood.

Unless you look over your shoulder whilst you are turning into a street and kill somebody, then yes.

EDIT: He ran into me.

bassistx

HSC
yer8899 said:
from what i can see, you ran into him. when you check your blind-spot, its to see if any morons are doing the wrong thing so you can stop and not get into a crash. obviously you didnt check and therefore crashed.
Do I have to go back and edit the pic especially for you? Because you see to be the only one who doesn't understand.
The broken lines indicate the direction in which I was going to travel. He sped past me, ramming into me, before I could turn into the street.

Go back and read the rest of the posts. I seriously cbf with you.

Pace_T

HSC
i remember when i was learning to do my p's test my instructor always told me that before i turned left into a street (like in this situation) i would have to look in my mirrors and also over my left shoulder to check if anyone is overtaking me on the left (even if its a single lane (but two way) street. this is because when you are approaching the side street and slowing down, you are going to have to veer a bit closer to the edge of the road before you make the turn. maybe its coz of cyclists or something but still... had you done looked over your shoulder you wouldnt have had the accident. i guess thats what that dude was trying to get at.

bassistx

HSC
You do not, under any circumstances, overtake someone when they have indicated and started turning.

EDIT: He was right behind me. We were in the same lane - far left.

Last edited:

Pace_T

HSC
bassistx said:
You do not, under any circumstances, overtake someone when they have indicated and started turning.
i dont disagree. im merely suggesting that it is not unusual to learn to look over your shoulder before you turn. whether you're supposed to or not, doesnt change the fact that he isnt allowed to manoeuvre the way he did. but it wouldve changed whether you had that accident or not.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Let's keep in mind, guys, that she's an L plater with only a few hours experience. So blindspot checking in obscure situations such as this are probably beyond her.

Also, what could she have done to prevent the situation? If you see a driver coming up behind you at a crazy speed, generally if you keep to the left you'll be OK. Hoons tend to stay on the right.

I just don't think anything could have been done on bassistx's part to prevent the crash.
Stopping the car in the middle of the road? Bad idea. Chances are hoon will run up your ass (although this makes the accident definitively his fault).
Indicating left for a while, then rapidly indicating right to get out of hoon's way? Bad idea (since you'd assume he'd pass on the right when there is no lane to the left).
Turning left should have been a way to get away from the hoon. They tend to drive erratically, so I generally just keep in the left lane and let them pass.

Pace_T

HSC
just one other thing-
if its a two lanes each way, each lane wouldnt be that wide, so why would he have gone around on the left right when theres a side street which you were indicating for? either you didnt indicate long enough for him to realise you were going to turn into that street, or there was someone in the other lane blocking his way? every hoon knows to go up the ass of the person in the right hand lane and not the left, so im just curious as to why he went up your ass and not move into the right hand lane?

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Pace_T said:
just one other thing-
if its a two lanes each way, each lane wouldnt be that wide, so why would he have gone around on the left right when theres a side street which you were indicating for? either you didnt indicate long enough for him to realise you were going to turn into that street, or there was someone in the other lane blocking his way? every hoon knows to go up the ass of the person in the right hand lane and not the left, so im just curious as to why he went up your ass and not move into the right hand lane?
Exactly. The guy is a fucking retard, even for a hoon. Most hoons just keep to the right and weave around traffic. No driver could have predicted the move he made.

Pace_T

HSC
scarybunny said:
Exactly. The guy is a fucking retard, even for a hoon. Most hoons just keep to the right and weave around traffic. No driver could have predicted the move he made.

having said that, id also like to say that if i want to get from a to b quicksmart id get in the right lane and stay up someones ass. they always get out of my way (unless theyre approaching a right turn they need to take). so yeah, he was an idiot for 1) rushing around in the left lane and 2) staying behind an L plater. geez... everytime i see an L plater on the road, everybody behind him/her gets out of that lane, lol.

bassistx

HSC
He was Lebanese, already stated this a few pages back.
Anyway, whatever. I'll let scarybunny take on the questions from here. I'm sick of this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)