Liberal control of the Senate (1 Viewer)

transcendent

HSC
N/A
I want a discussion on the predicted changes the Liberal Government will implement when it gains control of the Senate. How will this affect us, positively or negatively, and what are your views on the changes.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Trippendicular said:
And the annihilation of public education and trade unions, excellent
I challenge you to justify your opinion.

Generator

HSC
N/A
http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=59011&highlight=july (similar thread, discussing taxes)

http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=48037&highlight=july (another thread, discussing education)

The following quote is the combination of two posts from the second link.
Generator said:
It seems quite interesting that a great deal of change has been proposed yet not much of it was made known to the wider public (or at all) at any time throughout the election campaign... Nelson's university reform statements from today's papers come to mind.

---

If only we all read through the fineprint... My only problem is that it seems as though the Government remained in office through a back to basics campaign yet they may well use the victory within the Senate to push through more 'comprehensive' reforms than in the past. I know that there is only so much that should be publicised within a campaign, but the victory strut of many Ministers is kind of worrying.
I'm not saying that we shouldn't discuss the issue within this thread, it's just that the Coalition's majority has been discussed before and some members may not feel like paraphrasing what they have already said... I'm sure that anyone willing to discuss the issue will read through what has already been posted and continue to debate the issue in this thread rather than the other two.

Last edited:

transcendent

HSC
N/A
The point of this thread, yeah sorry 'bout repeating issues from said threads neo_o, is that when July 1st does come along I want to know what actually has been passed and what has not been passed. Half the time the predictions seem like overreactions from the far left, or right, on what the Coalition will pass.

PoeticDuck

HSC
Is there something to do with Telstra...a bill?...i dunno....have'nt read enough into it. Just know the Coalition have been wanting it passed for years and with majority in Senate it's a clear run now.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I'm going to say that most of it will be minimal, i wish howard would do more.. there are alot of unpopular things that would do good for the country.
You won't find the far right on this forum.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Ok. Remember Howard tried once to limit the powers of the Senate. He may try to push that Bill again. Though the Libs in the upper house may knock him back anyway.

And in comes:

VSU or else the complete abolishment of student unionism.

More funding for private schools.

Less funding for public schools.

Guest workers.

Maybe even higher HECS to force more kids from a poorer background into skilled jobs.

More money gone from public Health.

Good bye Telstra. It's off overseas and more country areas are plagued with inadequate services.

Hello more unneeded Free Trade Agreements.

Hello more unneeded imports.

Loss of funds for rural communities.

More ways of ripping it into the farming and working people.

More tax cuts for rich people

And I'm sure there are other little treasures Howard has been saving up since he first set his little foot in parliament and set his beady little eyes on the position of PM.

Basically it's Liberal Heaven. Right wing dreams. Too bad if you're not rich and from Sydney, and your kids go to a private school.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Enlightened_One said:
Ok. Remember Howard tried once to limit the powers of the Senate. He may try to push that Bill again. Though the Libs in the upper house may knock him back anyway.

And in comes:

VSU or else the complete abolishment of student unionism.

More funding for private schools.

Less funding for public schools.

Guest workers.

Maybe even higher HECS to force more kids from a poorer background into skilled jobs.

More money gone from public Health.

Good bye Telstra. It's off overseas and more country areas are plagued with inadequate services.

Hello more unneeded imports.

Loss of funds for rural communities.

More ways of ripping it into the farming and working people.

More tax cuts for rich people

And I'm sure there are other little treasures Howard has been saving up since he first set his little foot in parliament and set his beady little eyes on the position of PM.

Basically it's Liberal Heaven. Right wing dreams. Too bad if you're not rich and from Sydney, and your kids go to a private school.
omfg "more funding for private schools", "less funding for public schools".
That's just stupid, as much as you might want to think otherwise the liberals DO care about public education. You think that it's rich voters that vote liberal? Look at celebrities and such, once u get enough money u start caring more about other shit.. like the environment and social welfare more, so that it makes you feel better. I don't think you can define either labor or liberal under these lines any more.

Tax cuts for rich people? no. Tax cuts for small business? yes.
Ripping into the farming and working people? Hello? The national party? Ever heard of them?

Again, I doubt the Nationals will allow the legislation to pass unless there are certain precautions put in to make sure country services stay strong.
I'm pretty sure alot of the shareholders in telstra are aussie citizens, but even if it does go over seas... what EXACTLY is your problem with that?

While it is debatable wether these free trade agreements benefit Australia ( I believe all but the US one probably will quite substantially, and the US one may reap rewards while having some downsides to it). Free trade will be good for the world if more countries (european etc) adopt it.

Last edited:
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
once u get enough money u start caring more about other shit.. like the environment and social welfare more, so that it makes you feel better.
And who was it that refused to accept the Kyoto Protocol? Whats that? Howard and Bush? Rich people vote for Howard, as his policies aim to make the rich richer, with no regard for environmental or social issues

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Oh yes because bush has never done anything for the environment :rolleyes:
His policies aim to make businesses more profitable, the country more efficient, so that we can continue to enjoy our good quality of life and compete in a global market place.
When the countries doing well, the poor are doing well.. Who do you think was hit hardest by the depression? by the down times? The poor, or the rich?

I would also argue that;
a) most countries won't do what they've committed to under kyoto
b) global warming IS inevitable
c) we would be better off helping poorer countries develop infrastructure so that they are not hit so hard when it hits.

Last edited:

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Kyoto Protocol is a pile of shit. The vast majority of countries that have signed up arent even nearly fulfilling their targets, whereas Australia, though not signing up, is on track.

HSC
In Germany, the Depression hit hardest for the middle and lower classes, whereas the industrialists and upper classes profited from it by monopolising markets

Rorix

HSC
It's funny how every issue you listed was normative and yet you still manage to contradict yourself. I know that you won't even know what I'm talking about here. But anyone who wasn't brainwashing themselves via emotion triggers will hopefully process this in the neocortex and not the amygdala.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
They'll probably implement VSU, which seems to be a bad deal for uni's, but apart from that I don't care.

Last edited:
HSC
Rorix said:
It's funny how every issue you listed was normative and yet you still manage to contradict yourself. I know that you won't even know what I'm talking about here. But anyone who wasn't brainwashing themselves via emotion triggers will hopefully process this in the neocortex and not the amygdala.
Look at me, I'm so smart

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
They'll probably implement USU, which seems to be a bad deal for uni's, but apart from that I don't care.
they'll implement "VSU", vuluntary student unionism... currently we have universal student unionism "USU" or "Forced" unionism :)

Rorix

HSC
Trippendicular said:
Look at me, I'm so smart

YES BECAUSE I WAS NOT BEING DELIBERATELY OBSCURE TO EMPHASISE A POINT.

NO SIR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)