Liberal is better than Labour (1 Viewer)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by crazyhomo
howard actually said there would be no gst in 1995, a year before the election, and um.. he was opposition leader at the time
But Howard had already been in power for a term before he won the GST election, so a year before the election was a year before the first one the GST wasnt introduced until the 2nd.

Thomas_wow

i am well aware of that cayte... paul keating doesnt even count as a prime minister...

thanks xayma for the correction... i always assumed he retired.

if labor get in im wondering if there will again be deficits in the budget instead of surplus... seeing as they're cuting taxes and raising benefits (yes i did steal that from SMH)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
hey, I'd be interested to see how a liberal prime minister deals with a world war, considering that it's been a labor government that has taken australia through the previous two, if memory serves.

just a general thought, not intended to provoke anything, or even suggest that there may be another ww in our lifetimes.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by glycerine
considering that it's been a labor government that has taken australia through the previous two, if memory serves.
Your correct, Labor lead completly through WWI and it caused a party split if I remember (over conscription), and the liberals were in power at the start of WWII although Labor lead from 1941-1945 (and it was Labor that started sucking up to the US :p)

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by George W. Bush
Yes, Howard did say there wasn't going to be a GST on his policy agenda. In the 1980s, or something. But before the election, John Howard said that if he won, he was going to push for a GST. Every single voter knew this policy platform. He isn't lying or decieving the people, no-one's going to vote for him based on what he said in the 1980s, assuming that will rule over his current policy objectives. While he is being contradictory, I think everyone has at some time contradicted what they said 10 years ago.
context, george, context. i never once said he decieved the public re: his intentions to push for the GST if he won said election. i was, however, saying that this was just another example of his general habit of misleading the australian people, saying one thing then doing another further down the track. all politicians do this it one stage or another, i just find it worrying that the man in charge of our country has done it so many times and on such important issues

but you know, i'm sure hes doing What's Best For Australia

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Originally posted by George W. Bush
But anyway, as I was saying, Howard didn't mislead Australia over the GST.
i agree with you there. just because i guy changes his mind, doesn't mean he mislead anyone. people knew exactly what they were voting for when he was pressing the gst issue. it's the tampa/"boat people" thing that sickens me. when he won the election based on that, it was the first time i'd ever felt ashamed of being australian

Arnor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by *girl04*
maybe u should place in the "politics" forum. then again if u think it is ancient history related ... lol i think it is more modern than anicnet ... but u know
naw modern history finshes around the 1960's

post modern history is the term for things since then - present

as for the rest of you guys, grow up and get studyin 1\2 of HSC students cant vote, 1\2 of those who can, wont be registered

and honestly at the end of the day guess wat? people are rarly persuaded in the matters of religion and politics so stop trying 2 convert people cause it dont work

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
No, it doesn't.

And I still maintain that this country will fall to ruin if Labor wins.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Overstatement? No, I think my assessment is pretty accurate.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Originally posted by Kwayera
No, it doesn't.

And I still maintain that this country will fall to ruin if Labor wins.
Originally posted by Kwayera
Overstatement? No, I think my assessment is pretty accurate.
assessment? maybe i'm confused, but it sounded like a vague accusation based on nothing...

cayte

Originally posted by Arnor
as for the rest of you guys, grow up and get studyin 1\2 of HSC students cant vote, 1\2 of those who can, wont be registered

and honestly at the end of the day guess wat? people are rarly persuaded in the matters of religion and politics so stop trying 2 convert people cause it dont work
Actually, some of us are uni students; even those who can't vote are entitled to an opinion, regardless of how misinformed, irrelevant or irritating it may be. Debate stimulates the mind, I don't think anyone is seriously here to try and convert anyone, we aren't evangalists, we're having a political discussion. Or perhaps more accurately, a rant loosely based around politics. If you want to talk about growing up, a knowledge of or interest in politics is perhaps one of the more important aspects of maturation.

Originally posted by glycerine
err do you even know what 'postmodern' *means*?
Alright, no need to be narky. You're not the only one with a knowledge of wanky historical/sociological/philosophical/literary jargon.

It amuses me to think, however, that a bunch of 16-25 year olds feel we have a significant enough grasp over the affairs of the nation and world to make a profound political statement. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)