Liberal is better than Labour (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Yet the white suburbanised male in his late thirties has a better grasp, does he? (Thank you, Homer). Just a thought.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
so
Originally posted by cayte

It amuses me to think, however, that a bunch of 16-25 year olds feel they have a significant enough grasp over the affairs of the nation and world to make a profound political statement. Just a thought.

Oh, my god. You are such a fucking hypocrite. You are exactly the same as the rest of us, don't be so fucking self righteous.

cayte

Generator I didn't say that and you know it. :D

Glycerine, no need to get on the defensive. Like I said it was just a thought. I didn't intentionally preclude myself from the statement (however, on rereading it does seem that that is what I've implied - now edited), but you may also note that I haven't actually claimed to know enough about the complexities of politics in order to make a definitive statement in this or any other thread.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
sorry, I'm kind of stressy tonight and am taking it out on the world, not your fault :)

cayte

I guess my point is, there's no problem in having an opinion, but I think sometimes it's necessary to step back and assess exactly how qualified that opinion is.
How many of you can honestly say that in your couple of decades you've acquired the necessary life experience to judge what is right for a few million people, or predict and evaluate a potential economic crisis? Or claim that your views are completely independant of your parents', formed by your own "world-view"? I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, or that you should suppress what you believe, but I don't think it's appropriate to make statements of totality.
That probably makes it all less lucid, but never mind. If necessary I guess I'll try again later.

Last edited:

cayte

Hmm. What I'm trying to say is don't take yourself too seriously and discussion like this can be really constructive.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Originally posted by cayte
I guess my point is, there's no problem in having an opinion, but I think sometimes it's necessary to step back and assess exactly how qualified that opinion is.
How many of you can honestly say that in your couple of decades you've acquired the necessary life experience to judge what is right for a few million people, or predict and evaluate a potential economic crisis? Or claim that your views are completely independant of your parents', formed by your own "world-view"? I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, or that you should suppress what you believe, but I don't think it's appropriate to make statements of totality.
That probably makes it all less lucid, but never mind. If necessary I guess I'll try again later.
isn't the whole point of a democracy is that people vote for whoever represents their own personal interests the best?

cayte

Originally posted by crazyhomo
isn't the whole point of a democracy is that people vote for whoever represents their own personal interests the best?
Lol, I guess, but it would be nice to think there was a little more altruism in society than that. But that's not really what I'm saying. I'm saying don't take your own opinions too seriously. I think. I can see myself getting pretty confused pretty soon!

teh winnar!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!
Originally posted by joshhopp
In Australian politics, Liberal is better than Labour. John Howard gets bad press because he follows Bush, but he does it to secure the increasingly important US-Australian relationship, which is emperitive for our economic and military security. All other complaints about our current government may be posted here for rebuttal by me.
IS IT JUST ME, OR DOES YUOR ARGUMENT HAVE LESS LEGS TO STAND ON THAN A LANDMINE VICTIM?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Actually the whole point of democracy is that people should vote for the betterment of the majority even if that is worse off for them. What might be a minor improvement for 51% should be introduced even if it is a major disadvantage for the remaining 49%

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Originally posted by Xayma
Actually the whole point of democracy is that people should vote for the betterment of the majority even if that is worse off for them. What might be a minor improvement for 51% should be introduced even if it is a major disadvantage for the remaining 49%
ummm....why would you need to vote for the betterment of the majority? if it really does better the majority then the majority will vote for it. and you're example is a complete load of crap that will never actually occur in reality

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
ummm....why would you need to vote for the betterment of the majority? if it really does better the majority then the majority will vote for it. and you're example is a complete load of crap that will never actually occur in reality
Yeah I know, no political system will work perfectly in reality (including communism etc), but the whole point of democracy was voting for the betterment of the majority, and those with compassion wouldnt of voted for it.

I think it was Socratate's (sp?) who was telling people to vote for themselves instead of the majority.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Originally posted by Xayma
Yeah I know, no political system will work perfectly in reality (including communism etc), but the whole point of democracy was voting for the betterment of the majority, and those with compassion wouldnt of voted for it.

I think it was Socratate's (sp?) who was telling people to vote for themselves instead of the majority.
socrates

and huh? where you agreeing or disagreeing there?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
and huh? where you agreeing or disagreeing there?
Im of the opinion to vote for what you think will better society (although like always personal interests should be taken into account). But it isnt democracy, democracy is voting for the improvement of everyone, of course now days political terms have lots most of their meaning.

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
The important themes have been reduced to election soap boxes. What ever is most popular wins. Well, thats captalism for you. *shrug*

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Originally posted by Persephone87
The important themes have been reduced to election soap boxes. What ever is most popular wins. Well, thats captalism for you. *shrug*
important themes?

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Originally posted by Persephone87
lol what important themes...! lol - whatever you want them to be, and they'll promise it!
huh?

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
I think Persephone meant that whatever the public wants, the major parties will promise it...

Which is the problem with our system. What ever happened to ideas such as ministerial responsibilty. He who fucked it up took the consequences.

Political parties ought to be held by the law to their promises. That'd make things a little clearer and stop them trying to see who can bullshit the best. Albeit a fool's dream

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)