• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Liberal or Labor? (1 Viewer)

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
I respect the fact that he's willing to set aside his faith on certain issues, what is the problem with that :/
If you can show me a quote where he said he supports sex education and teaching children about condoms, I'd accept your position.

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
hey kwayera can u rep me just for the fact i wan't to see how much it would go up by. you can neg rep me later. please

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
If you can show me a quote where he said he supports sex education and teaching children about condoms, I'd accept your position.
Cbf to go through interviews and/or Hansard to do so, tbqh. I'm willing to reservedly (given the RU486 debacle) give him the benefit of the doubt on this issue, and trust the Liberal Left to come down on him hammer and tongs if he decides to abandon his previous dedication to separation-of-church-and-state issues.

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
It's not fair to shareholders who invested in the business though with T1/T2/T3/etc...

Surely someone sees the common sense here that Telstra's copper wire network monopoly and whatnot is what drove the competition to invest in alternative options and technologies. That is a good thing.
Yeah absolutely but when Telstra was privatised and retained the copper wire network (unlike power), they had a ridiculously unfair position that stagnated the growth of telecommunications in Australia for about 10 years.

The government can set whatever conditions they want for access to the NBN, TPG has PIPE and the iiNet team are doing their own shit, so Telstra will compete with other technologies, as well.

The NBN is going to be a massive fucking white elephant, so it's neither here nor there. They have to do a node to node rollout using GPON (Which has massive privacy concerns).

It's going to be a non-upgradeable mess for the forseeable future.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah absolutely but when Telstra was privatised and retained the copper wire network (unlike power), they had a ridiculously unfair position that stagnated the growth of telecommunications in Australia for about 10 years.

The government can set whatever conditions they want for access to the NBN, TPG has PIPE and the iiNet team are doing their own shit, so Telstra will compete with other technologies, as well.

The NBN is going to be a massive fucking white elephant, so it's neither here nor there. They have to do a node to node rollout using GPON (Which has massive privacy concerns).

It's going to be a non-upgradeable mess for the forseeable future.
That "unfair position" was what shareholders paid for AND the government received those funds. Are you suggesting that the shareholders did not pay enough for that monopoly? If so, it wasn't them who set the price. They saw the public offering, thought it would make money in the future, and that's how it went.

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
That "unfair position" was what shareholders paid for AND the government received those funds. Are you suggesting that the shareholders did not pay enough for that monopoly? If so, it wasn't them who set the price. They saw the public offering, thought it would make money in the future, and that's how it went.
Exactly and those shareholders can decide whether to join the offer or not...

Telstra tried to fuck the entire NBN rollout at first by fucking with the G8 consortium, so, yeah, those shareholders can decide whether they want to be a part of the big white elephant, or provide a different service and compete on their own.

badquinton304

HSC
I respect the fact that he's willing to set aside his faith on certain issues, what is the problem with that :/
He does at least seem to set aside his faith based views, but I tend to see it as "looks I don't have 16th century values, see im socially moderate, see, that means im electable", hence a lack of respect on my part. I think even if you were a liberal supporter you would want abbott to lose this election because maybe then, the party will realise that they need to leave the howard era social conservatism behind.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
He does at least seem to set aside his faith based views, but I tend to see it as "looks I don't have 16th century values, see im socially moderate, see, that means im electable", hence a lack of respect on my part. I think even if you were a liberal supporter you would want abbott to lose this election because maybe then, the party will realise that they need to leave the howard era social conservatism behind.
Here's a secret: I agree with you. And it is changing, slowly, from the bottom up. But I would much rather Liberal's open conservatism than Labor's no-we're-not-conservative conservatism hypocrisy.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Except he's publicly stated that he sees the hypocrisy of imposing those beliefs on the public - he believes abortion should be "safe, legal and rare" /quote

I'm no huge fan of Abbott, you understand, but I have to respect that
The 'rare' point indicates efforts such as compulsory counselling, ultrasounds, etc wouldn't be out of the question.

EDIT: Or banning certain methods.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
The 'rare' point indicates efforts such as compulsory counselling, ultrasounds, etc wouldn't be out of the question.

EDIT: Or banning certain methods.
I interpreted it differently. If that is indeed the case, than I will certainly no longer have respect for his position.

TacoTerrorist

HSC
Kwayera said:
Because they're holding a gun to Telstra's head, demanding that it split and forcing them to give up their network if they want a piece of the bandwidth pie, as I understand it. Forcing a company (and by extension their shareholders) to give up their assets is.. wrong.

Correct me if I am incorrect
Uhh...lol? We shouldn't give two shits about any massive corporation, especially Telstra and their record billion dollar profits. You want to know what's wrong? That the CEO of Telstra makes an incredible living manipulating money and screwing ordinary people over while somebody who actually contributes to humanity gets barely anything in comparison.

That the people who make that prick and all his cronies profits are the ones doing all the work, living meaningless lives in chains, slaves to their petty wages, while the rich live it up, carefree.

That people like you, apologists for this horrible capitalist system which has seen billions in poverty, a destroyed ecosystem, billions of slaves to the dollar and a few hundred with immense, undeserved wealth, actually spout off pro-state capitalist crap like this.

The moment we all realise who the true enemy is; is the moment we throw off our chains and say 'We're not gonna take this shit anymore!'. The politicians, Labor, Liberal, and otherwise are all wealthy white capitalists who support the capitalist system to the dying breath. Everything we have ever won has come through the power of the ordinary collective of workers. The 8 hour day, maternity leave, fairer pay etc. They don't give us anything for nothing and we fight tooth and nail for everything we get. They don't give two shits about your welfare, so stop defending them and start fighting them.

I'd slit every capitalist sonofabitch's throat if I could get away with it.

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
Uhh...lol? We shouldn't give two shits about any massive corporation, especially Telstra and their record billion dollar profits. You want to know what's wrong? That the CEO of Telstra makes an incredible living manipulating money and screwing ordinary people over while somebody who actually contributes to humanity gets barely anything in comparison.

That the people who make that prick and all his cronies profits are the ones doing all the work, living meaningless lives in chains, slaves to their petty wages, while the rich live it up, carefree.

That people like you, apologists for this horrible capitalist system which has seen billions in poverty, a destroyed ecosystem, billions of slaves to the dollar and a few hundred with immense, undeserved wealth, actually spout off pro-state capitalist crap like this.

The moment we all realise who the true enemy is; is the moment we throw off our chains and say 'We're not gonna take this shit anymore!'. The politicians, Labor, Liberal, and otherwise are all wealthy white capitalists who support the capitalist system to the dying breath. Everything we have ever won has come through the power of the ordinary collective of workers. The 8 hour day, maternity leave, fairer pay etc. They don't give us anything for nothing and we fight tooth and nail for everything we get. They don't give two shits about your welfare, so stop defending them and start fighting them.

Anarcho-Syndicalist detected

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC

cry moar

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Choosing, accurately, where the largest areas for growth in telecomm exist and acting upon these is worth a lot to the general population. It helps them communicate with each other, be entertained, do business and study. The "he is not digging cables and therefore he is not producing value" line is bunk, and has been for a very long time now.

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A

lol, and people call me crazy

Last edited:

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
That people like you, apologists for this horrible capitalist system
Pretty dodgy before this, but that was the end of your post.

Yeah, my bad for spelling Labor wrong, Kwayera. Inform me of what the NBN entails so that I may be an informed voter. Might end up getting your employer a vote in the next election. (seriously)

As for Tony Abbott, come on, I mean really, do you sincerely believe that a guy that believes that women shouldn't have sex before marriage is going to let normal people kill the babies they create in the process of doing such? Labor, mind you, are pretty fucking stupid in the same religious respect. Neither of them offer any form of reform for homosexual marriage rights and neither really care about climate change to an acceptable level. Neither leaders are good people and I bet that regardless of the outcome of the election, they'll both be replaced or their parties will face ministerial reshuffle to consolidate their power as leader.

TacoTerrorist

HSC
kwayera said:
Stick to the religious threads please.

withoutaface said:
Choosing, accurately, where the largest areas for growth in telecomm exist and acting upon these is worth a lot to the general population. It helps them communicate with each other, be entertained, do business and study. The "he is not digging cables and therefore he is not producing value" line is bunk, and has been for a very long time now.
Perhaps you have misinterpreted me. I'm not suggesting that manual labour is the only legitimate form of labour, or that roles aren't important for that (intellectual) line of work. What I am suggesting is that the massive discrepancies in labour and pay conditions is immoral. The owners of the means of production, in this case the CEO of Telstra, should not have the right to profit from the labour of others.

scuba_steve said:
lol, and people call me crazy
Is what I posted not the truth? People need to wake up.

Last edited:

Rothbard

HSC
N/A
I don't mind Taco Terorrist, he's an-syn but dude is passionate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)