gracie007

HSC
hey ive read this book twice its great
i must admit it was better the first time i read it , than the secnd time
it raises some really interesting issues
i like all the stuff about animal behaviour too

rific

HSC
I prefer Martel's short stories, particularly Manners of Dying and The Facts behind the Helsinki Roccamatios... I think they were called anyway, it's been a while. They were more originaly I thought, more engaged with life.

kloudsurfer

HSC
gordo said:
i found it very enjoyable

i saw no deeper into other than just an entertaining read
Thats exactly what I thought!!!! Everyone was like 'OMG BOOKER PRIZE WINNAR!!!' and 'IT WILL MAKE YOU BELEIVE IN GOD!!!!!'

I was an very enjoyable book, well written with good imagery, but it seemed there was nothing more to it. Personally I thought it was overrated.

Heliotrope

HSC
I love this book. I have entire passages saved from it. I should really just buy it. I will when I get the money.

kloudsurfer said:
I was an very enjoyable book, well written with good imagery, but it seemed there was nothing more to it. Personally I thought it was overrated.
Not hostility or anything, but maybe you should read deeper. Life of Pi is one of those books that can be read and enjoyed lightly, but not everything is laid out for you in plain language. You have to think a little.

lengy

HSC
I really liked this book but where the hell does it reference or make analogies to a god? There is no god!

kloudsurfer

HSC
Heliotrope said:
I love this book. I have entire passages saved from it. I should really just buy it. I will when I get the money.

Not hostility or anything, but maybe you should read deeper. Life of Pi is one of those books that can be read and enjoyed lightly, but not everything is laid out for you in plain language. You have to think a little.
I am definetly not one to take books at face value. I saw the 'deeper meanings' and everything, I just honestly didnt think it was THAT great.

Anyway, perhaps I just expected too much of it after it was talked up by everyone.

Seriously...did that make anyone believe in God?

HSC
Nope. Didn't make me believe in God. Having said that, I thought the beginning stuff with his religion was beautiful and I loved that he wished to be Hindu, Muslim and Christian all together. "I just want to love God."

I didn't really like the ending. I still think the animal story is true, and that he just made up the horror story because the japanese people didn't believe him. Pi seems smart enough to make it up on the spur of the moment like that.

pinkly

Hands are handy.
HSC
Just a little off-topic, I read a bit of his older book, Self written in '96. Incredibly strange novel I thought it was.

M-turkey

Zoom Zoom
HSC
mitch_f1 said:
Can someone help me to clarify the religious element to the book. I tried to explain it to a friend, but couldn't decipher it from my head.

On a side note: interview with the author:
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/conversation/july-dec02/martel_11-11.html#
In a nutshell the book says that it is nicer to believe that there is a God, because it gives us purpose instead of believing that there is no god and that the universe and everything in it was an accident.

Its about choosing to believe whats nicer to hear.

illmtl

HSC
Wow... the number of people who like it... amazing.

I was forced to study it for Yr 11 normal english, and found it the most boring read... mainly the sitting in a boat with an imaginary tiger for ages got to me... and I didn't finish it... actually it put me to sleep (no mean feat)... the only good thing was the whole thing about the better story. How people prefer the story about the animals to the reality of cannibalism. Like choosing religion over atheism. That was pretty cool.

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
at first i found the beginning of it quite tedious and boring...
but i have this thing where i can't not finish a book.. so i persevered and i didnt mind it..
not my favourite book [and i generally like books with underlying philosophical q's etc..]
it'd be good for imaginative journeys i think??
but i think you'd have to be a pretty decent reader to be able to pick up and understand all the concepts bc they're quite layered...

ellen.louise

HSC
I'm halfway through it.
Chucked an all-nighter last night because I knew that the Tiger had to be in the boat... and being the psychotic person that I am I had to see that in writing. Then I kept going... It's good so far. I'm gonna hope it stays that way.:)

s-p-a-c-e-d

HSC
This book actually annoyed me a lot; its presentation of characters like the atheist doctor and those who represented each religion of the town were painfully one-dimensional and it was obvious they were only like that to show how apparantly open-minded the kid was about his faith.

Other than that I thought the idea of a carnivorous island was kind of cool and creepy.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
This book is pretty good, not too amazing, but alright.. the beginning wasnt really appealing, but later on it turned out to be a good read

Ice Goddess

HSC
It's getting lots of kudos, my friend said it was 'tolerable'
i wasn't keen to try tho

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Bump.

I am re-listening to this book in audio format. The first time i listnned to it, i loved it. I didn't catch the illusion of Richard Parker actually being Pi himself the first time, but now i am enjoying the books' smaller details.

I highly recommend it to people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)