likelihood of getting an essay on microeconomic policy? (1 Viewer)

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Well Macro or Micro would be a great choice!!

With anything on Globlisation!!!

I managed to write 1800-1900 for each essay in trials!!!!! Since i knew the topics so well :p

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
Well Macro or Micro would be a great choice!!

With anything on Globlisation!!!

I managed to write 1800-1900 for each essay in trials!!!!! Since i knew the topics so well :p
that's insane! how long did you spend on each essay? i must've written 800 words haha

determine

Premium Member
HSC
that's insane! how long did you spend on each essay? i must've written 800 words haha
it is possible haha!!! i wrote over 2000 for one of my essays in the trial and over 1900 for the other one. typically you'll find the stronger students spend about 1 hour on each essay and 1 hour and multiple choice & short answers combined. however, i don't encourage you to set the time frames as absolute because it is easier to pick up marks in short answers/multiple choice than it is in an essay. i.e. spending 5 minutes extra on short answers is likely to get you more marks than spending 5 more minutes on one essay, because it is harder to move up in essays, especially from 17 to 18 to 19 to 20. so just spend a reasonable amount of time on all the sections and don't rush ! also, for the essays, i advise that you prepare quick plans, so that if for some reason you don't finish, you can write at the end of your essay "did not finish, ran out of time, see plan", and the marker can then look at your plan and see what you were going to talk about and could potentially give you 1 mark or so more! it's better than nothing. :) but yeah, definitely don't underestimate the power of planning!

determine

Premium Member
HSC
u get marks for planning??
i've always been quite for the idea that if you plan, the markers may give you an extra mark if you are unable to finish. and it also gives a good impression, i.e. that you have taken the time to contemplate your ideas and arguments, rather than just regurgitating something pre-learned or unrelated to the question. :)

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
it is possible haha!!! i wrote over 2000 for one of my essays in the trial and over 1900 for the other one. typically you'll find the stronger students spend about 1 hour on each essay and 1 hour and multiple choice & short answers combined. however, i don't encourage you to set the time frames as absolute because it is easier to pick up marks in short answers/multiple choice than it is in an essay. i.e. spending 5 minutes extra on short answers is likely to get you more marks than spending 5 more minutes on one essay, because it is harder to move up in essays, especially from 17 to 18 to 19 to 20. so just spend a reasonable amount of time on all the sections and don't rush ! also, for the essays, i advise that you prepare quick plans, so that if for some reason you don't finish, you can write at the end of your essay "did not finish, ran out of time, see plan", and the marker can then look at your plan and see what you were going to talk about and could potentially give you 1 mark or so more! it's better than nothing. :) but yeah, definitely don't underestimate the power of planning!
Woah i didn't know that!! rep for you!!..

Im going to try it hehehe. i don't think ill finish my reports for eco!

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
i've always been quite for the idea that if you plan, the markers may give you an extra mark if you are unable to finish. and it also gives a good impression, i.e. that you have taken the time to contemplate your ideas and arguments, rather than just regurgitating something pre-learned or unrelated to the question. :)
thanks man!

ehh you went orange! i don't think you were a mod before were you?

1.8k is machiiiiiine my eng ext was 1.8k but that was 70mins and 100% memorised + regurgitated lol unlike eco

with eco were you like so used to writing essays that it all just came naturally, or did you actually have to think about what you were going to write etc.? also, did you actually plan for your essays in your final hsc exam or did you just write?

also, with short answers did you ever go past the lines or did you just use what was there...or even half of what was there? like when something is 3 marks can you just make 3 points i.e. 3 sentences or do you have to make 1 point and explain it out with another sentence etc. i always thought 3 sentences (relatively long, but the 3 sentences would all be different points) would be enough to get you 1 mark each but some state ranker from 4 years back was like "no you should write 2 sentences for every 1 pt" -> i don't know if he was just gun at everything and could actually do that, but i find i don't have that time. do i HAVE to do that or is it enough to do it 1:1?!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)