limits help (1 Viewer)

starryblue

HSC
i dont understand how to do these qu,

1) limit x-> 7 (2x+3)/(x-7)
2) the function f(x)=(4x^2-9)/(2x-3) is not continuous throughout its domain. redefine f(x) such that it is continuous throughout its domain
3) limit x approaches infinity (x^3-2x^2+3x+4)/(3x+5)
4) limit x app infinity (sqrt (2x+3))-sqrt(2x))

and a qu on first principle diff

y=4x sqrt x

thanks (god, this took forever to type on the tablet ==)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Question 1: Are you sure you typed it out correctly?

Question 2: The numerator is the difference of two squares, and the bottom cancels with one of the terms. To be picky, writing it as a 'new function' doesn't make the discontinuity disappear, but I presume your teacher just wants you to just factorise it.

Question 3: The top clearly approaches infinity faster than the bottom, so the limit is just infinity.

Question 4: Rationalise the numerator, and the answer will fall out (the limit is zero). Another way of thinking about it is that for large values of x, 2x+3 ~ 2x, so we are essentially doing 2x - 2x, which is zero.

iBibah

HSC
Question 1: Are you sure you typed it out correctly?

Question 2: The numerator is the difference of two squares, and the bottom cancels with one of the terms. To be picky, writing it as a 'new function' doesn't make the discontinuity disappear, but I presume your teacher just wants you to just factorise it.

Question 3: The top clearly approaches infinity faster than the bottom, so the limit is just infinity.

Question 4: Rationalise the numerator, and the answer will fall out (the limit is zero). Another way of thinking about it is that for large values of x, 2x+3 ~ 2x, so we are essentially doing 2x - 2x, which is zero.
Isn't it plus or minus infinity?

COLDBOY

HSC
i dont understand how to do these qu,

1) limit x-> 7 (2x+3)/(x-7)
2) the function f(x)=(4x^2-9)/(2x-3) is not continuous throughout its domain. redefine f(x) such that it is continuous throughout its domain
3) limit x approaches infinity (x^3-2x^2+3x+4)/(3x+5)
4) limit x app infinity (sqrt (2x+3))-sqrt(2x))

and a qu on first principle diff

y=4x sqrt x

thanks (god, this took forever to type on the tablet ==)
1) (2x +3)/(x-7) question is incorrect!
2)f(x) = (4x^2 - 9)/(2x-3) = (2x-3)(2x+3)/(2x-3) = 2x+3.--> Domain All real x (hence continuous)
3) (x^3 - 2x^2 + 3x + 4)/(3x+5) --> (1/3)x^2 + (11/25)x + 4/5 --> infinity
4)limit as x --> infinity, (sqrt (2x+3))-sqrt(2x))--> infinity - infinity --> 0 (sqrt(infinity) --> infinity)

y = 4xsqrt(x) = 4*x^(3/2)

now

f'(x) = y' = lim(h-> 0) (4(x+h)^(3/2) - x^(3/2))/h
= 4* lim(h-> 0) ((x+h)^(3/2) - x^(3/2))/h
= 4* lim(h-> 0) ((x^(3/2) + (3/2)x^(3/2-1)*h +...(terms that keep going including h with powers greater than or equal to 2) - x^(3/2))/h
= 4* lim(h-> 0)((3/2)x^(1/2) + ( bunch of terms with powers of h greater than equal to 2)/h i.e. limit((h^n)/h) --> 0 were n>=2 h--> 0)
= 4*(3/2)x^(1/2)
=6sqrt(x)

Last edited:

iBibah

HSC
1) (2x +3)/(x-7) question is incorrect!
2)f(x) = (4x^2 - 9)/(2x-3) = (2x-3)(2x+3)/(2x-3) = 2x+3.--> Domain All real x (hence continuous)
3) (x^3 - 2x^2 + 3x + 4)/(3x+5) --> (1/3)x^2 + (11/25)x + 4/5 --> infinity
4)limit as x --> infinity, (sqrt (2x+3))-sqrt(2x))--> infinity - infinity --> 0 (sqrt(infinity) --> infinity)

y = 4xsqrt(x) = 4*x^(3/2)

now

f'(x) = y' = lim(h-> 0) (4(x+h)^(3/2) - x^(3/2))/h
= 4* lim(h-> 0) ((x+h)^(3/2) - x^(3/2))/h
= 4* lim(h-> 0) ((x^(3/2) + (3/2)x^(3/2-1)*h +...(terms that keep going including h with powers greater than or equal to 2) - x^(3/2))/h
= 4* lim(h-> 0)((3/2)x^(1/2) + ( bunch of terms with powers of h greater than equal to 2)/h i.e. limit((h^n)/h) --> 0 were n>=2 h--> 0)
= 4*(3/2)x^(1/2)
=6sqrt(x)
Isn't it plus or minus infinity?
Yep it is as it stands right now, but usually questions have nice finite values.

planino

HSC
Wouldn't the domain be?

All real x
x not equal to 3/2

since 2x - 3 can't equal 0 (even though it was cancelled out) as it's in the denominator? So I think the function would look like y=2x+3 with an open circle at x=3/2

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Wouldn't the domain be?

All real x
x not equal to 3/2

since 2x - 3 can't equal 0 (even though it was cancelled out) as it's in the denominator? So I think the function would look like y=2x+3 with an open circle at x=3/2
That is correct, which was why I was a bit apprehensive about the question in the first place, because it seems to assume that just because we 'cancel' out the denominator, the discontinuity vanishes, which is NOT true.

iBibah

HSC
It reminds me y=x^3/x.
It's the well known y=x^2 graph however an open circle at the origin, but some people seem to think you can simplify it before drawing (you can if it makes it easier but never forget the original function, because that's where you get your domain from).

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
1) REWRITE THE QUESTION, YOU MUST HAVE DONE SOMETHING WRONG.
2) Factorise it: f(x) = (2x+3)(2x-3)/(2x-3). Do the cancelling. f(x) = (2x+3) from here you should realise the domain is continuous - i.e. linear equation, thus D: All Real Values of x

And the rest should be done easily.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
1) REWRITE THE QUESTION, YOU MUST HAVE DONE SOMETHING WRONG.
2) Factorise it: f(x) = (2x+3)(2x-3)/(2x-3). Do the cancelling. f(x) = (2x+3) from here you should realise the domain is continuous - i.e. linear equation, thus D: All Real Values of x

And the rest should be done easily.
Why? There isn't a limit because the function tends to positive or negative infinity. You can't assume the question is wrong, plenty of functions tend to infinity, like the limit of x as x to infinity, or x^2, or x^3...

HSC
That is correct, which was why I was a bit apprehensive about the question in the first place, because it seems to assume that just because we 'cancel' out the denominator, the discontinuity vanishes, which is NOT true.
can "redefining a function" to make it continuous throughout its domain possibly involve forming a piecemeal function instead? Such as

just a thought

P.S. also, took ages to latex that perfectly lol

Last edited:

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
can "redefining a function" to make it continuous throughout its domain possibly involving forming a piecemeal function instead? Such as

just a thought

P.S. also, took ages to latex that perfectly lol
LOL! Hahahahahaha

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Hmmm.

Define the set of functions that diverge to as

Similarly define the set of functions that converge to some value such that there exists some value where as:

Question, does one of the above sets contain more elements than the other? If so, which one.

Fus Ro Dah

HSC
Hmmm.

Define the set of functions that diverge to as

Similarly define the set of functions that converge to some value such that there exists some value where as:

Question, does one of the above sets contain more elements than the other? If so, which one.
One could consider divergence to be convergence to infinity...

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
One could consider divergence to be convergence to infinity...
Hence the "set of functions that converge to some value such that there exists some value where ".

Unless you are referring to something else?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)