lion king (1 Viewer)

sophi.love

HSC
hey has anyone analysed the lion king. im thinking of doing it. do you think i could relate it to the crucible?

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
don't do the lion king. do something with more substance. seriously...

sophi.love

HSC
what do you suggest then? to relate to the crucible. im stuck in the mud.

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
i'm not too familiar with the crucible or this area of study... but i'd suggest you don't do movies like the lion king or anything that's cartoony.

the crucible is something to do with witchcraft right? what kind of text are you looking for?

sophi.love

HSC
the crucible is about the 1950s witchhunts. super boring. it is about a man that stands out in society, doesnt belong. im wondering weather to find a text with someone that stands out and compare the 2 or find a text with someone that does belong, and contrast. what do you think?

sannous1

HSC
hey im doin crucible for my text at school also and to be honest i dnt even noe one thing about it, seriously i think i shuld start readin it soon :p

Yeh anywho, i also hav 2 find related material for belonging, and sum how relate it to crucible, i was ttelln my teacher that it would be kind of hard relating text to a book like that , but he said, u dnt exactly hav to find the simililarities of both texts, or the differences, saying for eg in this text, it says this about belonging, whist in this text it means sumthn else. he said u can jjust talk about how both texts , show the concept of belonging, and if its possibile to link ur raletd text to the crucible, to do it then, but i think i/u shuld still somhow relate it to ur set text in class,
but yeh im not sure, my teacher said we can do it like that, shes gona mark it correct , the way she told us to set it out, if its too hard, im not too sure wat u teacher wuld say

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
what about "The green mile"

that was about a black man who stood out and was blamed for something he didn't do. he wasn't accepted within that society and consequently executed for it.

just a thought.

sophi.love

HSC
that sounds great. thanks so much!!!

ill start analysing it soon. :):):):):)

sophi.love

HSC
sannous1 said:
hey im doin crucible for my text at school also and to be honest i dnt even noe one thing about it, seriously i think i shuld start readin it soon :p

Yeh anywho, i also hav 2 find related material for belonging, and sum how relate it to crucible, i was ttelln my teacher that it would be kind of hard relating text to a book like that , but he said, u dnt exactly hav to find the simililarities of both texts, or the differences, saying for eg in this text, it says this about belonging, whist in this text it means sumthn else. he said u can jjust talk about how both texts , show the concept of belonging, and if its possibile to link ur raletd text to the crucible, to do it then, but i think i/u shuld still somhow relate it to ur set text in class,
but yeh im not sure, my teacher said we can do it like that, shes gona mark it correct , the way she told us to set it out, if its too hard, im not too sure wat u teacher wuld say
well yeah crucible pretty much sucks!

lovedilara

HSC
hahaha the crucible is gay!!!

im sure there's a million and one other text about belonging that would poo all over the crucible
lol

...slowly going crazy

lovedilara

HSC
what about shawshank redemption..
i know its a good movie but do u think it would have anything to do with belonging?

thanx

*Baby-K*

HSC
whats wrong with the lion king????
This is what's wrong with Lion King:
  • It's a Disney Cartoon- not really deep
  • Markers are sick of Disney cartoons
  • It's long
  • There are more reasons just unsure how to explain- bottom line- don't do it.
Picking related texts can be difficult. I suggest you find a film/book for your 1st related text, and a picture book/small film/leunig's cartoon etc (just something small) for your second one. It will make your life easier and you can annotate them faster.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
  • It's long
Picking related texts can be difficult. I suggest you find a film/book for your 1st related text, and a picture book/small film/leunig's cartoon etc (just something small) for your second one. It will make your life easier and you can annotate them faster.
Well actually, for a Disney movie, TLK is pretty deep. I think it'd make a better text than a lot of other suggestions I've seen, but it's probably better to go with IT'S source text, Hamlet.

lindalovesjoao

HSC
OTEN - The TAFE HSC course actually recommends The Lion king as a suitable source.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I wouldn't recommend Dragonball Evolution, largely because it's unlikely the markers will have any idea what you're talking about.

bored of sc

HSC
If you choose to do a text which does not appear to be sophisticated, you can analyse it from a fresh, uncommon perspective and make it sophisticated.

My related texts: Lilley's television series Summer Heights High and Jules' version of the song Mad World. Mark for my essay in the half yearly: 12/15 (not great I know but it just shows that you don't get severely penalised for seemingly 'basic' texts and I still have much more room for improvement).

Pain

I am Jack's wasted life.
HSC
  • It's long
How can you say Disney cartoons aren't deep? ( Albeit, some are ridiculous, but some are actually quite powerful, as is The Lion King). Stop being fooled by the social stigma of animation = for kids.
And how can you even justify your third point? It's not long, it's in the standard time length of the average film.
Anyway, back to the OP. If you want to do The Lion King, then you should. BUT, only IFyou can provide a fresh, original and critically sound analysis of it. Look beyond the animation and joyful musicals, and delve deeper into it's more thematic and philosophical side. DO NOT fall into the trap of thinking that The Lion King is a reflection of Hamlet. Beside one or two plot points, it is thematically and substantially DIFFERENT from Hamlet. For example, The Lion King focuses predominantly on the 'circle of life' and our place in it. this is dissimilar within Hamlet. I cannot stress their differences enough!!!
Either way, remember, only choose it if you think you can argue it and analyze it well with your chosen text, and if you can provide an original argument - - Perhaps Timone and Pumba can be considered villians and the agents of alienation? Is it not their fault that Simba abandons his role as King and home for a faux world free of responsibility? Simba, due to the pig and meercat, has isolated himself in order to find some obscure form of belonging, even though it is not real. And thus, essentially, it is a reflection of all forms of solidarity -- they are no more then perceptions and illusions created within the mind.
( I can't provide input into The Crucible because I'm not familiar with it)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)