listening to music while studying? (1 Viewer)

frippyful

HSC
sometimes i feel like listening to my favorite music when like writing an essay or studying or something, but i don't because i have thoughts that it will totally distract me, like all of a sudden I'll start singing or dancing and then I'll get into a weird- light mood where i just watch a movie or go on you tube.
can music be helpful when studying, like can it get you into the mood and mode of concentration. maybe it can block irrelevant thoughts or something. or maybe it blocks any thoughts at all including important school ones?

Aysce

HSC
I can Only do it with math because you're not really thinking too much about what to write and it also makes me concentrate more. Although I don't listen to music for my other subs.

zombies

HSC
You could try classical music? Video game/movie soundtracks? I listen to music if whatever I'm doing doesn't require too much concentration or if I'm getting bored.

aussienerd

Don't eat yellow snow.
HSC
Uni Grad
You could try classical music? Video game/movie soundtracks? I listen to music if whatever I'm doing doesn't require too much concentration or if I'm getting bored.
+1. Instrumental versions of songs and classical music actually help me study, particularly for subjects where I have to write a lot, but that's just me. I sometimes write songs to play on my guitar and sing things I need to memorise.

I've also found that it really helps me to have certain smells around while I'm studying, and then if it's perfume or deodorant, I'll wear it during exams and it's easier to remember what I was studying.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
When I'm doing maths, it's a nice thing to have - I suppose. But when I'm reading something or making notes or the like, I found it didn't help.

Aysce

HSC
When I'm doing maths, it's a nice thing to have - I suppose. But when I'm reading something or making notes or the like, I found it didn't help.
+1. Well it can help because it keeps you entertained and also makes you focus on the things you're doing ie In my case, maths. It can distract you though if you have to do a task which requires you to generate your ideas and so on - like english. It is very very difficult to form an essay when you're listening to a song that is speaking different words to the ones within your mind. Sorta like dat.

Aliyas

HSC
I too find listening to music incredibly distracting. I also approve of listening to movie soundtracks/instrumentals though, if you wanna listen to anything. Apparently some binaural beats help with studying as well. I haven't tried that though.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I find listening to music pretty distracting as well. Others however, can't function without it.

Depends on the individual in question.

jnney

lemon
HSC
I too find listening to music incredibly distracting. I also approve of listening to movie soundtracks/instrumentals though, if you wanna listen to anything. Apparently some binaural beats help with studying as well. I haven't tried that though.
same here. i listened to binaural beats for a few days, they were quite cool but i still prefer silence.

Pfortune35

HSC
when i listen to music while i study I find it distracting, changing song is probably the most distracting part but getting to in to it isnt the best thing
for productivity either. sometimes I sort of tune out to the music and get really into my work. IF i can achieve this i find music to help me concentrate, and instrumental music is best for this, sometimes classical, sometimes prog but nothing to epic, so no 'O Fortuna'.

^although im contradicting I just said, id have to say this is a good song to study to

JustJackie

HSC
Uni Grad
Depends on the music. If you really need to concentrate and learn something then don't listen to music, you won't retain as much. However, if you do want music don't listen to music with lyrics.

Classical music is fairly stimulating, but lyric-less game/movie music (as suggested before) is also good.

frippyful

HSC
actually from now on i will only listen to my beloved one direction, when doing maths only. true story

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)