Literary techniques to convey meaning (1 Viewer)

Lola_teapot

HSC
I am doing an english assignment for the area of study if journeys. I have chosen a novel, and i have NO idea how literary techniques convey the meaning of the journey through a novel?

I mean i can one metaphor affect the whole meaning of a long novel?
What kind of literary techniques are used to convey meaning in novels? Is it things like syntax???

studentcheese

HSC
Nah, Syntax is the order of your words. An extended metaphor can affect the whole meaning of a long novel. For example, Harry Potter's scar could be a symbol for the sacrifice of his parents. It could serve as a reminder throughout the novel that Voldemort wants revenge on Harry, and it emphasises one of the themes of the novel, The importance of family and friends. (since his scar reminds him of the day his parents died for him)

Just make up BS as you go.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
You dont need 1 technique to run through the whole book, just think of your concepts (3 or 4 for each essay) and find examples of this concept in the book (s), then specific quotes from that section that support your concept idea, then discuss what technique is being used in that quote.
Lol.
I'm not doing journeys,so I dont really know any specific examples.. and I probably explained that quite badly :p
Hm, maybe someone else can help:shy:

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Oh and some common techniques can be metaphor, allegory, motif, similie, personification, imagery, tone, character, allusion, connotations, symbolism, structure, alliteration/assonance, blah blah there's a tonne more but that's all that's springing to mind.

Oh but I just saw you have another topic going on this.. You should really only keep it to one. :|

Last edited:

NEVAGIVEUP

HSC
We use literary devices/techniques for poems. When it comes to novels we are examining: Characters (the main characters and their role in relation to their significance within the plotline), themes (main idea of the novel which in your case you will look for themes that reflect the conepts of journeys), symbolism/iconography (the best example is the one posted above about Harry Potters' scar), structure (language? Is it colloquial, prose, sonnet etc and what is the signifcance of this? Is it a linear story, cyclical or convoluted? Narration; 1st or 3rd? Who is the narrator and why? Are there flash backs? And so on) and obvioulsy the examinaton of the plotline.

Once you have identifed these factors you need to relate it back to "journeys".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)