LIVE 8 - Waste of time and useless (1 Viewer)

Dustin_z

HSC
I was watching this guy on the weekend on the ABC and ill copy and paste what was said because its totally true (and I know the bleeding heart leftists wont like it):

------------------------------------------​

ALAN KOHLER: Well, good on Sir Bob Geldof for organising an excellent concert yesterday. It's on TV in Australia tonight. And especially for getting David Gilmour and Roger Waters of Pink Floyd back on stage together. But the real purpose of the Live Aid Concerts persuading the G8 nations to double aid to Africa, cancel its debts and open up trade, while well meaning and hard to argue with is in my view probably useless.

100,000 Africans own just under 1 trillion or $1,000 billion in wealth while 300 million of them live on less than a $1.50 a day. The problem with Africa is not a shortage of aid or resources or a lack of trade opportunities, but grand larceny. The continent is being openly looted by its elite. That's what's causing the poverty.

Kenya's 2005 budget, for example, allocates $15 million for a new fleet of Mercedes Benzs for the office of the president including a $1 million S500L for the President Kibaki himself. Kenyan MPs get a monthly fuel allowance for their Mercedes Benzs of more than $1,500 each. The average annual per capita income in Kenya is less than $500.

Three quarters of Swaziland's aid, according to Spectator Magazine goes on King Mswati's balls, his picnics, parties and cars. And when Britain increased aid to Malawi the government celebrated by buying 39 top of the lines S class Mercedes Benzs and so on.

All over Africa, the people are oppressed and robbed. More aid and debt cancellation will entrench the elite and while European America should definitely lower their trade barriers, that's not the problem with Africa. There's plenty of trade in food. Sir Bob tells us we should forget about the corruption thing, but in my opinion that's all the matters. The only way out of poverty is to have a functioning democracy with property rights and jail for thieves.

- Inside Business, ABC Television, 03 July 2005
http://www.abc.net.au/insidebusiness/content/2005/s1405723.htm

nwatts

HSC
One arrogant person who thinks they have the answers to the world's problems. Give me a break.

Geldof's aim was to raise awareness. He has done that brilliantly. Live 8 a waste of time? I hardly think so.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Have you read the guidelines????

Have you done a search???

Have you even glanced at the existing threads????

A) There are already two africa/live8 threads.
B) This exact article has already been linked to in one of them.

In summation Moonlight for Mod. ;)

white lady

No Motivation Whatsoever
HSC
At leasy they're trying to make a difference. Besides i think it was great entertainment but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Dustin_z said:
Three quarters of Swaziland's aid, according to Spectator Magazine goes on King Mswati's balls
Outrageous!

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Dustin_z said:
Three quarters of Swaziland's aid, according to Spectator Magazine goes on King Mswati's balls,
i think he meant balls as in parties where you dress up and dance. no man needs that much maintanence

theres a large gap between making a difference, and trying to make a difference. i dont get it, whats with the "at least"? its either they helped or they didnt. they dont get credit for failing. Would you be satisfied if surgery went wrong and the doctor was like " well at least we tried to save the leg"

trying doesnt save lives. suceeding is what humanity needs to band togther to acomplish.
because with things of such worth as human lives, lives which are being needlessly wasted everyday... trying just isnt good enough, suceeding is the only real option

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)