Lobby group seeks election of Muslim MP (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
March 01, 2007 01:00am

Article from: http://community.boredofstudies.org/images/sources/h14_theaustralian.gif
Font size: + -
Send this article: Print Email

A POLITICAL committee is being planned by Muslim leaders to shoehorn community professionals into the political ranks and lobby for Australia's first Muslim federal MP.
The proposed body will distinguish between religious and political Islam and promote the merits of Muslims from all political parties to the Islamic and mainstream communities.
One of the Muslim leaders spearheading the campaign to set up the board, Omar Yassine, said yesterday the group would improve the community's relationship with governments and help bring more Muslims into the political contest.
"We need someone from our community to represent us in the government and to be honest and straightforward," he said.
"We have to achieve something and to show respect to ourselves for others to respect us."
While Victoria has state Muslim MPs, NSW does not and nor are there any Islamic MPs at the federal level.
Mr Yassine, who is closely linked to the Labor Party, said the Sydney-based committee would comprise men and women from various professions and academic backgrounds.
He said the body, to be set up as soon as possible, would deal with political and social issues, while religious matters would be left "to the religious leaders to speak about them".
"Of course we're not going to satisfy everybody, but we will do the right thing for the community, and I think this is the right time to do it," said the secretary of the community-based El-Dunnieh Association.
Mr Yassine said the body would not endorse aspirants who "attacked the community" to score political points with mainstream Australia.
The plan comes after controversial cleric Taj al-Din al-Hilali said last month he would endorse a member of the Muslim community to challenge NSW Premier Morris Iemma for his seat of Lakemba, in Sydney's southwest. Sheik Hilali abandoned the idea a few days later.
The Australian Federation of Islamic Councils' newly elected president, Ikebal Patel, has backed the plan.
But the former chairman of John Howard Muslim reference group, Ameer Ali, said a Muslim politician would not secure Islamic votes simply because of their religious heritage. http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21303730-2,00.html
What is next? Demands for Buddhist MP, Hindu MP, Jewish MP, Confucian MP, Taoist MP? Is this the beginning of communalism as we seen in Lebanon where people are represented on the basis of religion NOT political Party?

Why does muslims always try to create division and communalism and destroy a peaceful country that already has communal harmony in it? Why does they always have to put forward their religion as a basis of representation? Why cant they be represented by MP NOT on the basis of their religion?

Introduction of the evil Sharia Law (in which women can be stoned to death for wearing lipstick or talking to a man who is not her relative), where people can be stoned to death for critisizing Islam will be their next demand if you give into these Islamo-Fascist, modern day Nazism.

Stott Despoja

HSC
N/A
Re: Muslim demands their own MP

For the sake of this subforum and BOS at large, could you please take your demented 'crusade' elsewhere? This is a place for discussions, not divisive rants fueled by an alarming degree of hate and ignorance.

You're pathetic, and we really don't need to have members such as yourself wasting space and driving away members who would otherwise be happy to take part in the other discussions that one may find here in the subforum.

HSC

Is it because the evil truth has been continually exposed? Considering the amount of thread started against Israel this is a drop in a bucket full of hatred against Israel. If you are scared of seeing the naked truth hide your head in the sand like most cowards does.

Furthermore, it is perfectly current affairs item making the front page of News.com website.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

It's not really the news articles themselves... but more the follow-up of a misrepresentative, imo bigoted remarks that seem to serve no purpose than to attempt to provoke a flame war.

I mean, you make it out although they're pushing for the mandatory appointment of Muslim MP, whereas they're just trying to encourage more muslims to enter into government life. It's the same as people voting for people who choose to espouse 'christian ideals'... I disagree with it, but singling out muslims seems to just be a continuation of your petty disagreement with arabs, muslims and all other forms of what you see as 'terrorists'.

circusmind

HSC

OMG representative democracy!!!! EVERYONE PANIC!

bshoc

HSC
N/A

And how exactly do they plan to get that MP without subverting the democratic process?

The fact there are no muslim MPs is a reflection on the Islamic community, not Australia.

bshoc

HSC
N/A

Stott Despoja said:
For the sake of this subforum and BOS at large, could you please take your demented 'crusade' elsewhere? This is a place for discussions, not divisive rants fueled by an alarming degree of hate and ignorance.

You're pathetic, and we really don't need to have members such as yourself wasting space and driving away members who would otherwise be happy to take part in the other discussions that one may find here in the subforum.
You're obviously unfamiliar with the concept of free speech, free exchange of ideas and views that exist outside your narrow leftist world ..

circusmind

HSC

bshoc said:
And how exactly do they plan to get that MP without subverting the democratic process?
Uhh...voting?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

Oh I think I know this one. You find a person who you feel represents both their community and the wider muslim community, you promote/fund/vote for that person ??? Profit.

... in which electorate exactly?
- They're not necessarily promoting someone who is soley for muslims... non-muslims can vote for a muslim candidate.
- Their point is to encourage more muslim voices to have a run for government so that they possibly may be chosen.
- This has nothing to do with any imposition on australia's normal democratic processes and I sincerely challenge you to find how it is so.

Last edited:

bshoc

HSC
N/A

Not-That-Bright said:
Oh I think I know this one. You find a person who you feel represents both their community and the wider muslim community, you promote/fund/vote for that person ??? Profit.
No electorate in Australia will elect a muslim whos going into parlaiment to represent "muslim ideas," not even those in Western Sydney.

circusmind

HSC

bshoc said:
... in which electorate exactly?
If we're talking state level, as is mentioned in the article, Lakemba would be an obvious choice. Islam is the largest religion in the electorate, if we consider Catholicism and Protestantism distinct for political purposes.

circusmind

HSC

bshoc said:
No electorate in Australia will elect a muslim whos going into parlaiment to represent "muslim ideas," not even those in Western Sydney.
How about a social conservative who just happens to be a muslim?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

Fine, what's your problem then? I would argue lakemba is a possible contention, though I can't imagine morris iemma being pushed out.... such strategies are generally longer-term.

Exactly. I think bshoc would actually (on a policy basis) support the majority of a conservative muslim's policies. They would be against abortion, against euthenasia, for religious teaching in schools etc.

bshoc

HSC
N/A

Not-That-Bright said:
Fine, what's your problem then? I would argue lakemba is a possible contention, though I can't imagine morris iemma being pushed out.... such strategies are generally longer-term.
Lakemba is like 20% muslim, not 50%.

Exactly. I think bshoc would actually (on a policy basis) support the majority of a conservative muslim's policies. They would be against abortion, against euthenasia, for religious teaching in schools etc.
Yeah except that I'm for strictly controlled euthenasia (and muslims opposing euthenasia is actually hypocritical), for schools teaching or not teaching religion depending on demand. The muslim position on abortion is based on arbitrary religious thinking and its as retarded as all the pro-choice people.

bshoc

HSC
N/A

circusmind said:
no

circusmind

HSC

bshoc said:

You'd be wrong. America, which I'd say has far more sectarian tension in politics than we do, has elected a Muslim congressman from a district which is only 1-2% muslim.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)